Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need advice on how to stain wood and fiberglass doors with SDL (simulated divided lights) and TDL (true divided lights) bars. We are having problems with the stain seeping between the backside of the SDL or TDL bars and the glass.It's also getting behind the sticking around the glass. We tape the glass and it helps. It just does not work well. I'm opened to any ideas...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Couple things that could help.

Try switching to a frog tape or even 3m platinum blue. If it doesn't work, you wasted only $7-8 per roll. That tape is useful for other things, so do a sample and save it.

I'd try the tape route first before moving on to other things, they are more labor intensive.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Tape it and seal those edges with the clear coat of your choice.just the back edge, not the surface you're going to be finishing...keep that area clean or you may have adhesion/staining issues with whatever your finish products are. Do it twice if you need to. Some wb poly or whatever ya got should work. Then paint/stain it. Should be a clean, tight line.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
Tape it and seal those edges with the clear coat of your choice.just the back edge, not the surface you're going to be finishing...keep that area clean or you may have adhesion/staining issues with whatever your finish products are. Do it twice if you need to. Some wb poly or whatever ya got should work. Then paint/stain it. Should be a clean, tight line.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Gardz works good for this

1 - 5 of 5 Posts