Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call today from a lady who is in need of someone removing her popcorn ceiling from one of her rooms. I am not sure if the ceiling contains asbestos yet. I need to either get it tested or test it myself. I heard there is a testing kit you can buy. Would any of you know where I could get one of those?

Thanks!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
971 Posts
One thing you can try is this,,,,

Disclamier: I am not an asbesto police policy person

But I have been spraying this junk forever,,,,

Take a 6" or so knife, and scrap the popcorn, IF you reveal browm spots (cork) you are dealing with asbestoes. If you don't, that means the "popcorns" are syrofoam, and you are not dealing with asbestes.

As i said, this is not an "approved" test, but it will let you know ifin you want to deal with it or not.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Brown spots in the texture or on the wall board?
On a "popcorn" ceiling. The "bumps" in it,, ya know, the "popcorn kernells"

Back when they put asbestoes in the mix, the only kernals were made of cork. SO if you drag a drywall knife over the ceiling texture, i its cork, it will scrap off the white from the spray medium and reveal brown spots of cork.

If its post asbesteos, it will just bust the stryfoam bumps in half, and it will still be whte.

As i said, this is in NO WAY offical, but it WILL tell you ifin your dealin with asbestoes or not..

And yes, i know I can't spell for sh&t.....:D

Reactions: vandy

·
Lambrecht Painting
1,607 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Nice, easy and quick way to do a preliminary check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts