Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Host: Ask a Painter Live
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I host a weekly live show on FB called #askapainter Live. Its a forum for pro's and homeowners to ask questions and get answers. I go live from one of my job sites each Friday at noon and do demonstrations, take an in depth look at coating science and talk entrepreneurship, apprenticeship and contracting basics. I'd love to get your questions and comments during the show! Here's a link to my FB page (where the live feed originates and is archived).

www.facebook.com/nick.slavik.92

I have 65 episodes archived. To find them, us the hashtag #askapainter on FB, Instagram, youtube and Twitter. I'll look forward to interacting with you fellow business owners.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I host a weekly live show on FB called #askapainter Live. Its a forum for pro's and homeowners to ask questions and get answers. I go live from one of my job sites each Friday at noon and do demonstrations, take an in depth look at coating science and talk entrepreneurship, apprenticeship and contracting basics. I'd love to get your questions and comments during the show! Here's a link to my FB page (where the live feed originates and is archived).

www.facebook.com/nick.slavik.92

I have 65 episodes archived. To find them, us the hashtag #askapainter on FB, Instagram, youtube and Twitter. I'll look forward to interacting with you fellow business owners.
Howdy Nick. I was wondering if you were a member on here yet. This forum has been a great resource for professionals to learn both new and old techniques, products, and brings people from many aspects of the trade together to share info and inspire each other to be better and do good work.

There have been so many awesome members that gave pertinent wonderful info to us, and entertained us all through the years.

Glad to see you swing through. - XC Painter

·
Premium Member
15,105 Posts
Nick,

Do you find it difficult to offer sound painting advice and recommendations given the inconsistencies in this industry, in terms of application, access, materials, and qualifications?

In other words, without accountable skill qualifications and the "Best Practices" oversight afforded to practically all of the other trades, by way of permits and building codes, painting seems to thrive within a wide range of acceptability. Which, is often driven by speed and personal standards, or preferences rather than industry standards.

After all, the painting product just needs to have that last finish coat look good long enough to be accepted by the homeowner, rather than actually having to prove that it works. Unlike framing, wiring, or plumbing, where official inspection of the installations typically indicate that set standards were followed and the application will work.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
XC Painter

If memory serves, I was a member here years and years ago. Probably deleted my account due to inactivity. But I look through the articles and post frequently. I love the perspective from other professionals.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CA Painter:

I struggle with this as well. But here's how I counter that: When coming up with a system for enameling S & V or Lacquered cabinets I contacted coating manufacturers and spoke to as many chemists and lab people as possible. By learning what the molecules of oil primer, hybrid topcoats, lacquer and water based coatings look like, I was able to (as scientifically as possible) find out why some coatings work better than others. So I try to collect as much objective information as possible and combine it with what I 'feel' in the field to come up with the closest thing to a 'solution' as possible. Now having said that, availability of materials, opposition to progression and the fact that a lot of painters aren't painters by choice limit the effectiveness of that information.

·
Premium Member
15,105 Posts
CA Painter:

I struggle with this as well. But here's how I counter that: When coming up with a system for enameling S & V or Lacquered cabinets I contacted coating manufacturers and spoke to as many chemists and lab people as possible. By learning what the molecules of oil primer, hybrid topcoats, lacquer and water based coatings look like, I was able to (as scientifically as possible) find out why some coatings work better than others. So I try to collect as much objective information as possible and combine it with what I 'feel' in the field to come up with the closest thing to a 'solution' as possible. Now having said that, availability of materials, opposition to progression and the fact that a lot of painters aren't painters by choice limit the effectiveness of that information.
Good points!

Question:

What is your take on PVA Sealer? We've had numerous discussions about it, and the consensus is that it has been replaced by other primers that offer higher build, better coverage/hide, and or better moisture barrier. Yet it remains a recommended treatment by the Gypsum Association.

My contention is that PVA Sealer is intended be used as a bonding sealer between a coating system and bare drywall/joint compound substrate because of its ph tolerance.

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
Good points!

Question:

What is your take on PVA Sealer? We've had numerous discussions about it, and the consensus is that it has been replaced by other primers that offer higher build, better coverage/hide, and or better moisture barrier. Yet it remains a recommended treatment by the Gypsum Association.

My contention is that PVA Sealer is intended be used as a bonding sealer between a coating system and bare drywall/joint compound substrate because of its ph tolerance.[/QUOTE]

maybe

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Good points!

Question:

My contention is that PVA Sealer is intended be used as a bonding sealer between a coating system and bare drywall/joint compound substrate because of its ph tolerance.[/QUOTE]

maybe
Maybe, what?

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good points!

Question:

My contention is that PVA Sealer is intended be used as a bonding sealer between a coating system and bare drywall/joint compound substrate because of its ph tolerance.
I care less about what the primer for new drywall is called and more that it is sandable. I've experimented with all sorts of primer--even oil--on new drywall in search of a perfect substrate for egghell/low lustre/satin topcoats. Ive had great results with PVA as long as it sands well. Some brands do better than others. In new construction I usually use higher end topcoats and apply two coats by hand. So coverage isn't usually an issue, but when I've needed an extra bit of coverage I have the paint store top it off with KX colorant. Slows drying and sandability some, but not enough to deter me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts