Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own 2 rental properties built in the early 30's. They have cement porches, under cover, which NO paint has adherred to in the 70 yrs of painting. How do I get paint to STICK on a more permanent basis. Anyone got a suggestion on prepearation and priming that might work?

·
Epoxy Dude
566 Posts
Remove all paint... grind the top surface... prime with a 2K 100% solids Flurorpolymer/Silane modified epoxy primer... topcoat with urethane...

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
Remove paint and try a concrete stain.

Concrete stain is a temporary solution which doesnt hide surface imperfections, like oil stains and such... and removing all the old paint will take some time. Any two part epoxy is highly durable, washable and tough.

·
Paint contractor
22 Posts
Concrete stain is a temporary solution which doesnt hide surface imperfections, like oil stains and such... and removing all the old paint will take some time. Any two part epoxy is highly durable, washable and tough.
Best is to remove the old paint more time more money

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the paint that is on there won't stick than a 2 part epoxy will just bond to the paint that is not sticking. Go rent a 17' floor sander/buffer use a 36 or maybe even a 12 grit sand paper and you should be able to knock the old stuff off within a couple of hours. Once you have it back to concrete. sweep it, tack cloth it, and then paint it with a 2 part oil based epoxy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm a fan of the muratic acid stains. Though not cheap $100.00 or so per gallon they breathe without a problem. Paint does not.

The problem here is moisture sepage from under the slab. Epoxies or oil based products will not help! Since there is no way to seal the underside of the slab you need to put a breathable product on top.

Try a spot of Muriatic acid to see if it strips the surface, easy test and etching in one.

Contact your local concrete contractor for more information on Muriatic acid based stains as I have very limited sources myself.

Rick

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Just a quick FYI c21pmt... this is a pro only site so next time please ask your question on our DIY site www.DIYCharoom.com. It's a site designed just for DIY people.

Thanks and hopefully some of the above advice helped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts