Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont reem me out. I use to be a small time painter doing everything by brush or roller and have recently teamed up with a larger company. I am wondering peoples opinions on spraying exterior siding (clapboards and shingles) and backbrushing. Obviously it is better to backbrush but how much of a difference does it make in terms of durability. I am in a competative market and there are other companies that spray siding and dont backbrush. If the prep work is solid what do I sacrifice if I dont backbrush? I know there is no difinitive answer but any thoughts will help.

·
Go Cardinals!!!
145 Posts
If its on a porous or rough surface, the purpose if to work the paint into the surface for better adhesion and coverage, No need to backbrush smooth surfaces like aluminum siding.

·
Epoxy Dude
566 Posts
If chalk is present on the surface, backbrushing can help to disperse chalk into the paint to trap it. This will also increase the potential surface area of substrate for the paint to bond to (because the chalk is not blocking the paint from the substrate). Obviously, just like is mentioned in the last post, the more surface area the paint comes into contact with... the greater the adhesion.

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
On aluminum surfaces with chaulk you would want to use a tornado tip to remove the chaulk and ad e bond to your paint to assure proper bonding. Aluminum is best looking when sprayed really looks bad if brushed.

For wood surfaces if we prime the whole thing complete and backbrush the primer then at times we can get away without backbrush the topcoat.

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Backbrushing shingles on a large job may not be practical, unless you included it in your estimate.

My understanding of an airless spray application is, you get a thicker mil build up. As long as the wood is dry, you should get pretty good absorbtion with acrylic paints without backrolling or brushing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts