Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,I read that some of you can book out several months.I'm a small shop 3 painters and I'm tryin' to stay outa the bucket. It seems like most customers don't want to wait more than a couple a weeks.I was wondering how you handle that.I seam to be at the point where I might want to hire another guy but I don't want to jump the gun. I'm only booked through the 1st of June but I'm starting to stack jobs and split the crew. I really don't like that. Any thoughts?

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
It seems like most customers don't want to wait more than a couple a weeks.I was wondering how you handle that.
I am able to book up work at least 2 months in advance due to my reputation. I am known as a very professional and meticulous painter in my area. I'm nice, people trust me, and my work is impeccable. <---this is how I am able to book work 2 months in advance or more.

I sell people on the fact that they won't be sorry if they can wait for me to begin. I rarely run into customers that aren't willing to wait.

This would be a bit different depending on what type of work you are doing (repaints, new construction, etc.) I do mainly repaints, so it's not usually rush rush.

As far as the employees...that's got to be a bunch of workers comp you got there...I'm a 1 man show, so I can't comment too much on this one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
And the flip side... sub it, charge the subbers with all the work and 60% of the total, if you can trust them... THAT'S, how you stay out of the bucket and not piss off an entire city of painters that you let go every time you slow down.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Subbing? Or letting them go when you slow? If your climbing out of the bucket it's sorta like leaving the projects... you can't look back.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ya I was talking about subbing to subs... you have two crews, sub to five others..... you do the running out of the bucket... you either are in, or out... simple as that.

·
Registered
217 Posts
May be funny but I was serious... look at it this way, if Rich was out of work for a month instead of booked, but you had too much work to handle... yet he wants to hang on to his business, you are gonna penalize him and make him work for you instead of throwing him a bone? YOU did the ads, sold your name, payed the bills and signed the job... that, is worth 40%. Or on the flip side, you see a starving artist and hire him, get pissed off when he doesn't show because he has a gig, but when your slow you tell him some lame excuse to let him go.... make your choice.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ya missed the point... I have 9 different contractors in this city that we all swap out at times to meet deadlines, help out, etc.... it works, you may need to change your direction a bit. Good luck to ya.

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
I am able to book up work at least 2 months in advance due to my reputation. I am known as a very professional and meticulous painter in my area. I'm nice, people trust me, and my work is impeccable. <---this is how I am able to book work 2 months in advance or more.

I sell people on the fact that they won't be sorry if they can wait for me to begin. I rarely run into customers that aren't willing to wait.

This would be a bit different depending on what type of work you are doing (repaints, new construction, etc.) I do mainly repaints, so it's not usually rush rush.

As far as the employees...that's got to be a bunch of workers comp you got there...I'm a 1 man show, so I can't comment too much on this one.
I agree with Rich that is how I am able to book out that far. I also do recurring contract with some small Homeowners Assoc. that I can use to fil in the gaps in the exterior season. I have all ready booked exteriors for next year based on when I painted them in the past. I also do decks on a 24 month schedule for repeat HO's. So I maybe booked far out but its a flexible schedule.

Reputation is key! People who trust you will wait!

·
Epoxy Dude
566 Posts
Have you considered raising your price? You may miss a few jobs but make more money on the ones you do. You could bank the money... wait a bit longer to hire someone... and then you'll know you have enough to keep them going...

Also, maybe you'll find you can charge more anyway?

·
Epoxy Dude
566 Posts
* Listen to this first... It will make alot of sense if you've seen the movie 'Tommy Boy'... If you haven't... GO RENT IT!

(Turn up your volume before you click this)
http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds...my_Boy&quote=guarantee.txt&file=guarantee.wav

Usual response:
"Yeah... I understand... You get what you pay for these days. Let me suggest that for the sake of your home, yourself, and for your family that you purchase a high quality paint job from me!"

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
They will wait, if not to bad, grow your company when you want to, not when the clients want you to. As another said great time to raise your prices as well. were booked into the middle of june, and i like it that way less stress on me trying to sell. i typically turn down one or two jobs a month. I run two crews and am very happy and dont want to grow anymore, for the time being.

thanks
dave mac

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
May be funny but I was serious... look at it this way, if Rich was out of work for a month instead of booked, but you had too much work to handle... yet he wants to hang on to his business, you are gonna penalize him and make him work for you instead of throwing him a bone? YOU did the ads, sold your name, payed the bills and signed the job... that, is worth 40%. Or on the flip side, you see a starving artist and hire him, get pissed off when he doesn't show because he has a gig, but when your slow you tell him some lame excuse to let him go.... make your choice.

Benn

are you saying 40% company gets

Sb gets 60%, im assuming sub buys paint at that split?

ive been trying to develop some fair splits, is why im asking.

thanks
dave mac

1 - 20 of 24 Posts