Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how others deal with the inevitable oil poly that gets on the bottom of baseboards when floors are refinished. Do you just give a good sand and paint with latex. Or, do you paine over the oil poly before painting?

Attachments

· Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Wondering how others deal with the inevitable oil poly that gets on the bottom of baseboards when floors are refinished. Do you just give a good sand and paint with latex. Or, do you paine over the oil poly before painting?
priming wouldn’t hurt, but I would just tape off the area and start painting. Trim paints tend to have good adhesion. You won’t have a problem with it, *unless the floor was done recently.

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
priming wouldn’t hurt, but I would just tape off the area and start painting. Trim paints tend to have good adhesion. You won’t have a problem with it, *unless the floor was done recently.
Holland, why would it be more of an issue of the floor were done recently? I ask because these floors were done not that long ago.

· Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Holland, why would it be more of an issue of the floor were done recently? I ask because these floors were done not that long ago.
The finish will harden and dull over time creating a more stable surface to paint over.

If newer, I would probably tape, give it a quick scuff, and prime with oil. should only take an hour or two for each room.

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not a good idea to be taping a freshly finished floor...
What is the standard wait time for oil? Just asked the HO and told me it has been about three weeks. If floors are like paint, seem to soon to put down tape.

· Registered
1,623 Posts
I was on a job with recently refinished floors, frog tape blue pulled up finish in several places.
Which is why we always conducted adhesion by tape tests before installing or spec’ing out floor finishes and “never” used Minwax stains or lacquer sealers which are notorious for causing finish to lift with tape. IMO, finish that pulls up with painters tape is a defective finish installation.

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you can't tape you could always use a shield. They work great for baseboards.

I never liked trying to cut in to the floor, hard to do that last tip off with the brush while having to worry about keeping your brush off the floor
I was thinking about doing that. I have some pretty long joint compound knives that have used before in similar sutuations.

· Registered
3,630 Posts
What is the standard wait time for oil? Just asked the HO and told me it has been about three weeks. If floors are like paint, seem to soon to put down tape.
yeah., that SHOULD be good to go, but if the floor was done improperly, or with a subpar product, and that tape pulls up any finish, you're responsible, so IMO, not worth the risk. A wet rag on a drywall knife can clean up any paint. Ive even had good luck using a wet duster brush to wipe off any overlap doing base.

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah., that SHOULD be good to go, but if the floor was done improperly, or with a subpar product, and that tape pulls up any finish, you're responsible, so IMO, not worth the risk. A wet rag on a drywall knife can clean up any paint. Ive even had good luck using a wet duster brush to wipe off any overlap doing base.
Yeah, I am going to stay away from the tape. The floor was stained before it was finished with oil poly. So, fixing anything that the tape might pull up is not worth the risk. I usually use a wet rag and a plastic putty knife to avoid any chance of scratching the floor then removing any paint that gets on the floor.

· Registered
8 Posts
If there's a ridge there you need to sand it down a bit, priming the oil based poly is a good idea although not completely necessary. The two big issues there can be is if there's oil stain that isn't covered by poly that will bleed thru latex trim paint, and if the poly is too glossy you might have bonding issues.

So your best bet to guarantee adherence and coverage would be to just cut in the the bottom part of the base with something like Benjamin Moore fresh start white oiled based enamel underbody with a small 1 inch angled hog bristle brush after a careful hand sand/clean up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts