Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen a good comparison video or article of these two pitted against each other. Has anyone had the pleasure of using both of these, fairly regularly, and can give an unbiased performance evaluation and comparison?

·
Registered
643 Posts
I’ve definitely used more scuff x(all sheens). Have used scuff defense Behr in matte. Both have a sheen a little more than say regal or ultra. As far as scuff resistance, adhesion, and hardness, then it’s Scuff x. Scuff x sprays like a dream and has excellent sq ft coverage. Scuff x white(stock) has excellent coverage for customers who just want white with a sheen on walls. Yes the bm is more money but completely worth it. Not to mention you have to go to Home Depot where the average employee has the attention span of a goldfish, and just as knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Here is a short video comparing the 2 paints:

I have used Behr Scuff-Defense a number of times, by myself and with 2 different partners on different occasions. We all liked how Scuff Defense rolled, brushed and covered. I have yet to use Scuf-X, but I would like to give it a try.

From what little I know about PPG Revolution, this seems to be PPG's entry into the scuff resistant and cleanable paint market.

futtyos

·
Registered
PPG & BM Dealer
24 Posts
Here is a short video comparing the 2 paints:

I have used Behr Scuff-Defense a number of times, by myself and with 2 different partners on different occasions. We all liked how Scuff Defense rolled, brushed and covered. I have yet to use Scuf-X, but I would like to give it a try.

From what little I know about PPG Revolution, this seems to be PPG's entry into the scuff resistant and cleanable paint market.

futtyos
I do think that the scuff resistance of Revolution/UltraLast is a happy side benefit of them designing it to be extremely cleanable, but that is just speculation on my part. I do know they never mention Scuff-X on any of its marketing materials, but they do explicitly mention BM Aura, SW Emerald and Behr Marquee. PPG even used to have a scuff/mar resistance demonstration video on their YouTube (I have a copy of it saved from when they sent out info on it), but I can only find the washability demonstration now.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I do think that the scuff resistance of Revolution/UltraLast is a happy side benefit of them designing it to be extremely cleanable, but that is just speculation on my part. I do know they never mention Scuff-X on any of its marketing materials, but they do explicitly mention BM Aura, SW Emerald and Behr Marquee. PPG even used to have a scuff/mar resistance demonstration video on their YouTube (I have a copy of it saved from when they sent out info on it), but I can only find the washability demonstration now.
scuffx has a unique resin their chemist came up with in that its not just 'cleanable' scuffs slide right off the surface as seen in the video

·
Registered
659 Posts
scuffx has a unique resin their chemist came up with in that its not just 'cleanable' scuffs slide right off the surface as seen in the video
I never tried Scuff-X yet, but wasn't the idea behind Scuff-X that it was meant to compete with precat epoxy?

Whereas something like Behr Ultra Scuff Defense, it's more meant to be something to compete with say, Duration, or Regal, etc.

I've only used the Behr Ultra Scuff Defense in my house, never used Scuff-X, and I actually really like the end result, it dries pretty nice and hard, didn't flash, but also had really really good coverage. Seems to clean nicely, too, so far. That said, handling of it while brushing it out really sucked, tons of brush drag and starts tacking up in seconds even over primed surfaces or eggshell paint (worse than even how Aura was) but the end result actually does look and feel very good for the price, but if I was using it professionally I'd probably curse about it extensively while brushing it out. If you like the handling qualities of most SW paints (which I do) it's nothing like it, so if you got guys on a job used to that kind of thing, it could lead to a lot of problems if they're not used to how a fast drying draggy paint like that behaves.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I never tried Scuff-X yet, but wasn't the idea behind Scuff-X that it was meant to compete with precat epoxy?

Whereas something like Behr Ultra Scuff Defense, it's more meant to be something to compete with say, Duration, or Regal, etc.

I've only used the Behr Ultra Scuff Defense in my house, never used Scuff-X, and I actually really like the end result, it dries pretty nice and hard, didn't flash, but also had really really good coverage. Seems to clean nicely, too, so far. That said, handling of it while brushing it out really sucked, tons of brush drag and starts tacking up in seconds even over primed surfaces or eggshell paint (worse than even how Aura was) but the end result actually does look and feel very good for the price, but if I was using it professionally I'd probably curse about it extensively while brushing it out. If you like the handling qualities of most SW paints (which I do) it's nothing like it, so if you got guys on a job used to that kind of thing, it could lead to a lot of problems if they're not used to how a fast drying draggy paint like that behaves.
it may be used on substrates traditionally spec'd for precat epoxy but its not meant for high moisture areas or intended to be repeatedly washed with chemicals. just high traffic areas

where does behr, ppg, sw get their resin packages from? should answer what is behr 'scuff defense'

·
Registered
77 Posts
My understanding of Scuff-X was that Benjamin Moore was approached by H&M (trendy clothing store). Their stores are bright white, including their dressing rooms which they were repainting monthly to keep them looking nice. They wanted something they could clean and wouldn't mark up. Thus Scuff-X was born. There have been some sales sheets that showed they were able to paint quarterly rather than monthly, saving the store over $29k annually! I think their customer were born in barns, but that's the youth of today. The inspiration was a product called Scuff Master, if I recall correctly, Scuff-X came in about 1/3 the cost of the Scuff Master product. I have had great success with it in schools, hospitals, government buildings and families with kids and pets. Also, cabinet shops that are wanting to move away from pre-cat and conversion varnishes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it may be used on substrates traditionally spec'd for precat epoxy but its not meant for high moisture areas or intended to be repeatedly washed with chemicals. just high traffic areas

where does behr, ppg, sw get their resin packages from? should answer what is behr 'scuff defense'
So, epoxy paint is best for areas subject to high moisture. Scuff-X is not.

Also, what choices are there for where to get the resin packages?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts