Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few years looks like I will be using Ben Moore again. I have read that formulas have changed as far as open time. Always had a hard time with ceiling or flat wall paint on a ceiling drying way too fast. Currently what should I be using on ceilings?

· Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,896 Posts
Why the exclusivity to any one paint store? (Just curious). I think ceilings would be the last surface I'd shop specifically for BM, despite the fact that I've always had good experiences with 508. Given your mention of open time, I'm assuming you'll be brushing/rolling?

· Registered
4,503 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Not all retailer carry superhide zeti
How does that premix Superhide ceiling white differ from the 01 White? My local BM retailer doesn't carry it.
The 01 white is greyed out similar to SW 'extra white's tint bases. superhide zero does not come in a 1X base so some colors are unavailable in that product like chantilly lace or super white or simply white, likewise SW can't make these colors without the high reflective white. many smaller BM stores won't carry it because its an extra SKU that collects dust

· Registered
4,503 Posts
Nothing worse than lap marks and poor hide on a ceiling after three coats.

Whites can be pretty transparent. A shot of black in a white base is common industry-wide for coverage.
For coverage reasons yes, but with customers choosing clean BM whites the greyness can be off putting. Just something to keep in mind when considering colors there isn't a one size fits all.for example customer chooses simply white for walls and you picked up a gallon of SW extra white for the ceiling, well the ceiling is going to be several shades darker than the walls and I doubt the customer had that in mind. I've only made that mistake once!

· Premium Member
2,772 Posts
For coverage reasons yes, but with customers choosing clean BM whites the greyness can be off putting. Just something to keep in mind when considering colors there isn't a one size fits all.for example customer chooses simply white for walls and you picked up a gallon of SW extra white for the ceiling, well the ceiling is going to be several shades darker than the walls and I doubt the customer had that in mind. I've only made that mistake once!
It would need to be written in the contract for x3 coats if a “Designer White” is used, stating that multiple coats may be needed. I often steer away from using transparent whites when possible, especially on ceilings where coverage is key. Would be possible to harmonize with existing trim if white, or lean the ceiling white ever so slightly toward an adjacent wall colors (cool or warm), etc…

*Good to note that BM may run “cleaner” bases.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I live in a small town in Canada and only have one other choice for brands that being Pittsburgh and its subs. which I have never been fond of. When I stopped using Ben Moore the only one I liked for ceilings was the old Super Spec flat. It was still being made when the waterborne came about. Dont know if it still is.

· Monarchski
372 Posts
Not all retailer carry superhide zeti

The 01 white is greyed out similar to SW 'extra white's tint bases. superhide zero does not come in a 1X base so some colors are unavailable in that product like chantilly lace or super white or simply white, likewise SW can't make these colors without the high reflective white. many smaller BM stores won't carry it because its an extra SKU that collects dust
[/QUOTE]
My Rep told me last week that BM is launching a new/revised Super Hide line in March and supposedly the area I'm in will be used for testing and feedback before it's launched nationwide. Can get all bright whites as well as all dark colors and a much nicer looking label.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
My Rep told me last week that BM is launching a new/revised Super Hide line in March and supposedly the area I'm in will be used for testing and feedback before it's launched nationwide. Can get all bright whites as well as all dark colors and a much nicer looking label.
I had heard that too from the regional rep but he was tight lipped about it. I only used superhide once but I was pretty happy all around for the price point.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts