Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi i have been using Benjamin Moore Regal paint for many years.. been painting for 45 years. I think it is the best paint ever. Just recently they changed the ingredients and it's a lot like that garbage Aura. Now it ruins my brushes, sags and runs no matter how thin you try to apply it. It is very thick and if you try to water it down it bubbles and takes a lot longer to apply. You use a lot more too.
They just took the best paint ever and ruined it. CASH GRAB
I am now looking for another paint to use and would be greatfull if you could share the paint you like most.. I don't mind spending more but it must be a great paint.
Thank you

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Hi i have been using Benjamin Moore Regal paint for many years.. been painting for 45 years. I think it is the best paint ever. Just recently they changed the ingredients and it's a lot like that garbage Aura. Now it ruins my brushes, sags and runs no matter how thin you try to apply it. It is very thick and if you try to water it down it bubbles and take a lot longer to apply. You use a lot more too.
I am now looking for another paint to use and would be greatfull if you could share the paint you like most.. I don't mind spending more but it must be a great paint.
Thank you
What do you mean recent? Regal select has been around for a decade already

·
Monarchski
214 Posts
Hi i have been using Benjamin Moore Regal paint for many years.. been painting for 45 years. I think it is the best paint ever. Just recently they changed the ingredients and it's a lot like that garbage Aura. Now it ruins my brushes, sags and runs no matter how thin you try to apply it. It is very thick and if you try to water it down it bubbles and takes a lot longer to apply. You use a lot more too.
Thank you
Which sheen are you talking about? I know they revised the formula on the flat because it was drying to fast, They actually recommend using the BM reducer instead of water.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Which sheen are you talking about? I know they revised the formula on the flat because it was drying to fast, They actually recommend using the BM reducer instead of water.
Flat and semigloss have both had VOC's added back in the past 6 months. Matte, Eggshell and pearl are to follow something maybe next year. New Aura will be available end of the month.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flat and semigloss have both had VOC's added back in the past 6 months. Matte, Eggshell and pearl are to follow something maybe next year. New Aura will be available end of the month.
They just started doing this in the last few months. I know the semi-gloss and eggshell have been changed. I used there Regal eggshell today and I really hated it.. There Regal is now really crap.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
They just started doing this in the last few months. I know the semi-gloss and eggshell have been changed. I used there Regal eggshell today and I really hated it.. There Regal is now really ****.
The eggshell has in fact not been changed, you are misinformed. Semigloss and Flat had some VOC's added back in to the last few months but that's it. Seems like you've been asleep for 10 years. BTW lots of folks on here using plenty of regal eggshell so everyone knows when your full of it.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
They just started doing this in the last few months. I know the semi-gloss and eggshell have been changed. I used there Regal eggshell today and I really hated it.. There Regal is now really crap.
@Dursky no body holds the magic wand to go back to good old days when everything was perfect.Find another brand or product that works for you.It is the game company's like to play.Like @cocomonkeynuts says welcome to the party.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I found SW Cashmere (don't know what it is in Canada-land, I think Opulence) is very Regal in how the end product looks, just Regal will for sure be more color accurate. The flat is pretty much a very dull matte, but the low lustre is pretty much eggshell.

There's also PPG Manor Hall in Canada, which I've always seen get pretty rave reviews, and the flat is more like a matte. I used Olympic One (I think a Manor Hall variant rebranded for Lowes, data sheets looked similar) before in my own house and found it very like Regal Matte in the end finish, but the deep base I used was awful and almost like a satin and didn't cure well. Still, I'd like to try Manor Hall or possibly the Home Depot Timeless sometime in the future.

Personally I don't find Regal bad, but Aura I basically do. But I can see how in some scenarios you could find it similar. The BM extender really does work, and saved me on a job with Aura, but while oddly I've not added water to Regal I don't see why you couldn't unless you were overwatering it pretty significantly, the data sheets say 8oz per gallon is still fine. With the newer low VOC fast drying paints, a lot of times you need to switch up equipment. Generally I find microfiber rollers prewet and stiffer brushes work better with newer fast dry thick low VOC paints. So if you're using an oldschool brush like say, a Purdy XL, switch to a Wooster Gold Edge which is a lot stiffer and I think it will get easier to brush out. I didn't really have a choice in the matter of paints working as a sub and using 99% BM, so despite not always being the way I liked them to ideally apply, I had to make the best of it.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I found SW Cashmere (don't know what it is in Canada-land, I think Opulence) is very Regal in how the end product looks, just Regal will for sure be more color accurate. The flat is pretty much a very dull matte, but the low lustre is pretty much eggshell.

There's also PPG Manor Hall in Canada, which I've always seen get pretty rave reviews, and the flat is more like a matte. I used Olympic One (I think a Manor Hall variant rebranded for Lowes, data sheets looked similar) before in my own house and found it very like Regal Matte in the end finish, but the deep base I used was awful and almost like a satin and didn't cure well. Still, I'd like to try Manor Hall or possibly the Home Depot Timeless sometime in the future.

Personally I don't find Regal bad, but Aura I basically do. But I can see how in some scenarios you could find it similar. The BM extender really does work, and saved me on a job with Aura, but while oddly I've not added water to Regal I don't see why you couldn't unless you were overwatering it pretty significantly, the data sheets say 8oz per gallon is still fine. With the newer low VOC fast drying paints, a lot of times you need to switch up equipment. Generally I find microfiber rollers prewet and stiffer brushes work better with newer fast dry thick low VOC paints. So if you're using an oldschool brush like say, a Purdy XL, switch to a Wooster Gold Edge which is a lot stiffer and I think it will get easier to brush out. I didn't really have a choice in the matter of paints working as a sub and using 99% BM, so despite not always being the way I liked them to ideally apply, I had to make the best of it.
Thus why Wooster renamed all their new fabrics and chinex brushes FTP "For Todays Paints"

·
Registered
63 Posts
All paints are changing, But I like Ben Moore the best, only the semi gloss regal select is a little different now. got to change with the times !

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
All paints are changing, But I like Ben Moore the best, only the semi gloss regal select is a little different now. got to change with the times !
BM adding some VOC content back into their premium products and listning to retailer/consumer feedback is huge. Ben line is due for some updates here this next year as well as many Coronado products. The new Aura is great I just got some in this last week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you
I agree with you totally. I have used Regal on and off for years and always liked it until recently. I used Regal Matte on a repaint a few weeks ago and thought it was horrible. It had the consitancy of paste. Brushed and rolled terribly. Switched over to S.W. Duration for the remainder of the job and it was night and difference. I ended up calling B.M tech and of course was told that nothing has been changed and that I could thin it down. What an answer. I shouldn't have to thin down a $60 per gallon paint. S.W. Duration or Emerald are my go to paints these days, and IMO they are so much better in every way. FWIW, I have heard a few complaints about it lately. With all of the supply line issues I wondered if they didn't temporarily sub out ingredients in Regal which may have caused this difference? Btw, I still use Regal Semi-gloss for all doors and trim. I love that stuff and use even when I am using S.W. wall paints.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you
Hi! I have never been happy with BM paint, and I seem to be in the minority. I've always had good results with SW, especially superpaint., but any type they carry. And yes I know I'll get flak but Behr paint and primer in one has never let me down!

·
Banned
6 Posts
I'm not a professional painter but I have painted quite a bit over the years. Last time was 3 years ago. I painted the entire main level of the house. In the spring we were preparing our house to sell and I just didn't have the time to paint the upstairs. We hired a pro and they did a great job. He had nothing but great things to say about BM paints.

We painted our new Condo this past week so I decided to try BM Regal, eggshell. I struggled, even with BM primer. Both products just dry way too fast for me. Brush application was streaky so I had to feather more. OK for a young person but at my age it was rough on the shoulders.

I've used PPG for years and I'm really sorry I didn't use it for this project, which may be my last. I read the BM application instructions and was careful to follow them but when using a roller often after only seconds I couldn't go back to correct something as it tacked up so fast.

I'm new here and not trying to run down BM and endorse a competitor. Maybe for pros BM is great. There are multiple BM wholesalers in the city. A brand new BM only paint store opened recently so it appears BM is doing well. It does splatter less but I don't care. I'm not the neatest painter so I cover everything anyway. Some waste is not a concern to me. I will never use BM again and definitely not recommend it to anyone I know in the "do it yourself" crowd.

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
I'm not a professional painter but I have painted quite a bit over the years. Last time was 3 years ago. I painted the entire main level of the house. In the spring we were preparing our house to sell and I just didn't have the time to paint the upstairs. We hired a pro and they did a great job. He had nothing but great things to say about BM paints.

We painted our new Condo this past week so I decided to try BM Regal, eggshell. I struggled, even with BM primer. Both products just dry way too fast for me. Brush application was streaky so I had to feather more. OK for a young person but at my age it was rough on the shoulders.

I've used PPG for years and I'm really sorry I didn't use it for this project, which may be my last. I read the BM application instructions and was careful to follow them but when using a roller often after only seconds I couldn't go back to correct something as it tacked up so fast.

I'm new here and not trying to run down BM and endorse a competitor. Maybe for pros BM is great. There are multiple BM wholesalers in the city. A brand new BM only paint store opened recently so it appears BM is doing well. It does splatter less but I don't care. I'm not the neatest painter so I cover everything anyway. Some waste is not a concern to me. I will never use BM again and definitely not recommend it to anyone I know in the "do it yourself" crowd.
A lot of pros use BM on a regular basis, and consider it their go-to paint. Perhaps you just need to be advised on which product is best for your application, and which might address your specific concerns.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts