Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
A lot of pros use BM on a regular basis, and consider it their go-to paint. Perhaps you just need to be advised on which product is best for your application, and which might address your specific concerns.
This pro will never use BM again as now it is crap!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
I had a whole house repaint last month speced for Emerald Matte. The color chosen in the main living areas was a BM color that sw would have had to make in their high reflective base which doesn't cover for anything. Figured I'd just get Regal matte for that color so it wouldn't take 3+ coats.

Big mistake, the Regal was horrible. I would have preferred to done an extra coat of Emerald than use the Regal. Maybe I got a bad batch I don't know but it was near impossible to roll with and the finish was garbage compared to the Emerald Matte. It was like night and day switching between the Emerald and Regal. The Emerald being a joy to work with the Regal was a nightmare in every category.

About two years ago I used Regal matte for a whole house repaint in the same neighborhood going over the same builder grade paint and it was a breeze to work with. I don't know if I got a bad batch or they changed something but I'm not looking forward to using it in the future.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,236 Posts
I'm not a professional painter but I have painted quite a bit over the years. Last time was 3 years ago. I painted the entire main level of the house. In the spring we were preparing our house to sell and I just didn't have the time to paint the upstairs. We hired a pro and they did a great job. He had nothing but great things to say about BM paints.

We painted our new Condo this past week so I decided to try BM Regal, eggshell. I struggled, even with BM primer. Both products just dry way too fast for me. Brush application was streaky so I had to feather more. OK for a young person but at my age it was rough on the shoulders.

I've used PPG for years and I'm really sorry I didn't use it for this project, which may be my last. I read the BM application instructions and was careful to follow them but when using a roller often after only seconds I couldn't go back to correct something as it tacked up so fast.

I'm new here and not trying to run down BM and endorse a competitor. Maybe for pros BM is great. There are multiple BM wholesalers in the city. A brand new BM only paint store opened recently so it appears BM is doing well. It does splatter less but I don't care. I'm not the neatest painter so I cover everything anyway. Some waste is not a concern to me. I will never use BM again and definitely not recommend it to anyone I know in the "do it yourself" crowd.
Luckily this forum is not for the DIY crowd. 🤷‍♂️ It's for pro discussions. Please visit the DIY site if you would like to dicuss further..

·
Banned
6 Posts
I agree with you. Many pros use BM. I'm not a pro. We were advised. We hired a decorating consultant that was a BM rep. I was interested in Aura and she advised to use Regal because Aura dried quickly. At one point I thought they mistakenly put Aura in a can with regal a Regal label. She also suggested Eggshell.

I also found the primer streaky. I went to the store and I told her I found it streaky. It and the paint didn't level well IMO. She told me not to worry about it because the roller would take care of it. I also brought my brush with me (I always buy high end brushes, etc) and she sold me another brush which didn't make any difference.

I started with a gallon of primer and two gallons of mixed paint. Where else was I supposed to go with this? Couldn't return and I if spent a designated amount on paint at her store we'd get the consulting fees back. I got the refund the other day.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Thanks for the advice finishesbykevyn. Jobs done and I'm not sure what posting on another forum/thread will do to help me. I just did a search on the net to see if I'm the only one and I came across this site. No bad words to say about BM. It just didn't work for me.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,236 Posts
I had a whole house repaint last month speced for Emerald Matte. The color chosen in the main living areas was a BM color that sw would have had to make in their high reflective base which doesn't cover for anything. Figured I'd just get Regal matte for that color so it wouldn't take 3+ coats.

Big mistake, the Regal was horrible. I would have preferred to done an extra coat of Emerald than use the Regal. Maybe I got a bad batch I don't know but it was near impossible to roll with and the finish was garbage compared to the Emerald Matte. It was like night and day switching between the Emerald and Regal. The Emerald being a joy to work with the Regal was a nightmare in every category.

About two years ago I used Regal matte for a whole house repaint in the same neighborhood going over the same builder grade paint and it was a breeze to work with. I don't know if I got a bad batch or they changed something but I'm not looking forward to using it in the future.
That's such a shame. Although I never did like the Regal Matte. I found it not very durable \wipeable whatsoever. I switched to the eggshell and find that really nice. If I'm going to use matte I will use Aura.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I agree with you. Many pros use BM. I'm not a pro. We were advised. We hired a decorating consultant that was a BM rep. I was interested in Aura and she advised to use Regal because Aura dried quickly. At one point I thought they mistakenly put Aura in a can with regal a Regal label. She also suggested Eggshell.

I also found the primer streaky. I went to the store and I told her I found it streaky. It and the paint didn't level well IMO. She told me not to worry about it because the roller would take care of it. I also brought my brush with me (I always buy high end brushes, etc) and she sold me another brush which didn't make any difference.

I started with a gallon of primer and two gallons of mixed paint. Where else was I supposed to go with this? Couldn't return and I if spent a designated amount on paint at her store we'd get the consulting fees back. I got the refund the other day.
I would say BM Ben or Ultra Spec is a lot more DIY/newer painter friendly and slower drying, but there's no outright matte in either one (though the Ben eggshell is fairly low sheen, and US has a low sheen.) They're also only $40 a gallon or so. I would say from a handling standpoint alone Ben is about ideal as you can get from a wall paint, but it has a BM weakness where whites/creams don't cover well due to less gray out in the base.

I'm fairly certain the only reason Regal and Aura are the way they are is you can go a lot faster and still follow the recoat times. 1-2 hour recoat means theoretically you could do trim, walls, and ceilings in a room in one day, whereas with a 4 hour recoat you risk the paint peeling, bubbling, or not curing well if you try to do two coats in 2 hours or something like that. 1 day vs 2 days to do something is huge as a contractor, with time is money and all that.

Personally my Regal learning curve wasn't bad at all, but Aura I've always found difficult to work with. Personally if money was no object and with Muralo out of the picture I would spec ideally, Advance on trim, and Regal matte for walls, and if the drywall work was good, 508 on ceilings, with everything drywall primed with Gardz (lol.) That would be the most ideal painting situation to me personally. Regal is also not bad on trim and eventually cures up fairly hard and looks good. I would rate Regal as a better trim paint than anything by SW except the Emerald Urethane, personally.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts

:ROFLMAO:Can you guess how many customers return paint to my store because of "streaky primer"? My DIWHY alarm is going off.

Use a quality microfiber 1/2" roller and load the heck out of it.

By the way, answer is zero.If your paint is 'streaky' you F'd up, not the paint.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I would say BM Ben or Ultra Spec is a lot more DIY/newer painter friendly and slower drying, but there's no outright matte in either one (though the Ben eggshell is fairly low sheen, and US has a low sheen.) They're also only $40 a gallon or so. I would say from a handling standpoint alone Ben is about ideal as you can get from a wall paint, but it has a BM weakness where whites/creams don't cover well due to less gray out in the base.

I'm fairly certain the only reason Regal and Aura are the way they are is you can go a lot faster and still follow the recoat times. 1-2 hour recoat means theoretically you could do trim, walls, and ceilings in a room in one day, whereas with a 4 hour recoat you risk the paint peeling, bubbling, or not curing well if you try to do two coats in 2 hours or something like that. 1 day vs 2 days to do something is huge as a contractor, with time is money and all that.

Personally my Regal learning curve wasn't bad at all, but Aura I've always found difficult to work with. Personally if money was no object and with Muralo out of the picture I would spec ideally, Advance on trim, and Regal matte for walls, and if the drywall work was good, 508 on ceilings, with everything drywall primed with Gardz (lol.) That would be the most ideal painting situation to me personally. Regal is also not bad on trim and eventually cures up fairly hard and looks good. I would rate Regal as a better trim paint than anything by SW except the Emerald Urethane, personally.
Have you had a chance to use the new Aura yet?

·
Banned
6 Posts
:ROFLMAO:Can you guess how many customers return paint to my store because of "streaky primer"? My DIWHY alarm is going off.

Use a quality microfiber 1/2" roller and load the heck out of it.

By the way, answer is zero.If your paint is 'streaky' you F'd up, not the paint.
I purchased BM 10 mil rollers as recommended by the company I death with. I'm also not cheap. A fresh roller for each application. The streaking I'm referring to was cutting. Yes I realized later to load it more than I usually do.

·
Banned
6 Posts

The recoat time is definitely appealing and I did take advantage of that. I'm hoping I'm not sending the wrong message. I have nothing bad to say about BM. I took too much time for me to get the hang of it which is why I'll never use it again. In 5 years I'll forget what I have learned so I'll use a manufacturer that I'm used to. Like like any skilled trade (and I have a high respect for all of them) you learn by repetition. You work at it every day and become proficient.

·
Banned
6 Posts
I purchased BM 10 mil rollers as recommended by the company I death with. I'm also not cheap. A fresh roller for each application. The streaking I'm referring to was cutting. Yes I realized later to load it more than I usually do.
Forgot to say I used high end brushes also sold by the company I was buying the paint from.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Forgot to say I used high end brushes also sold by the company I was buying the paint from.
I don't care what brush or roller you're store sold you. I move pallets of regal out of my store and I already told you how many of those get returned because of 'streaks'. Quite frankly you just don't know how to paint and also your on the wrong forum.

·
Registered
42 Posts
what do you mean when you say streaking?

ive been using regal eggshell for quite a long time and ive never come across any issues. probably my favourite paint for repaint jobs. the ulti-matte and the exterior version are amazing too. great line of product all around to be honest.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The BM Regal Select eggshell is my go to wall paint. It was a definite adjustment when it became the Select formulation, but once you figure it out, it performs really well. The biggest adjustment was not trying to keep a wet edge. Cut the room and then roll the walls. It blends together no problem. New product, new technique. Times are a changing, so you must adapt. The industry is not going to stop changing, whether for better or worse.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The BM Regal Select eggshell is my go to wall paint. It was a definite adjustment when it became the Select formulation, but once you figure it out, it performs really well. The biggest adjustment was not trying to keep a wet edge. Cut the room and then roll the walls. It blends together no problem. New product, new technique. Times are a changing, so you must adapt. The industry is not going to stop changing, whether for better or worse.
Depending on how sealed the wall is and conditions I find you can treat Regal Select as either/or for rolling into wet cuts or not. If you're going on top of a sealed surface where it's already eggshell/satin with it, usually you can roll into wet cuts going one wall at a time without issues, but if you're going over builder flat/etc then it's better to let them dry. And of course, too, you can modify that by adding some water or extender to it and use it in the traditional way, but I am surprised how it "melts" dry cuts. On the phone with BM they told me to go into dry cuts with Regal and Aura, but Ben and Ultra Spec to go into wet cuts, ideally.

That being said, I find due to Regal being so thick, sometimes my normal choice of a 9/16" nap microfiber isn't ideal and it's better to use 3/8" to make the finish look less ropey, again depending on the surface/conditions.
Have you had a chance to use the new Aura yet?
No, I've not, and since I'm trying to move away from painting as a career and quit with the guy I subbed for most, I may not ever use it, to be honest.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts