Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just wondering if anyone has used Benny Moore's new exterior Aura paint. The store in my area where I typically buy Ben Moore paint has been talking it up for a couple of months. I finally used it and absolutely despise it.

First of all, the flat siding color flashed like crazy and at 60 bucks a gallon retail, I should be able to sit in a lawn chair and watch it apply itself. This stuff is supposed to dry fast and I know they make that extender for it, but I started on a small part of the house to get warmed up. 3 hours later I could visibly see wet paint on that same siding.

Second, after spraying the siding I do what I always do and brush out the trim on the house. There really wasnt much since most of the windows were new and therefour clad on the outside, so I figured that I could get away with spending half a day on it. I wound up spending more time chasing the runs and sags on the stuff I had fixed 3 times already.

NEXT! one coat coverage??? NO WAY! Using the semi-gloss formula, I strugled to get a cream colored paint to cover..well, cream. I ended up 2 coating all of the cream color, and 3 coating everything that wasnt. Doors I sprayed with my HVLP took 3 as well. My brush technique has not changed even slightly from any other job I have done this summer.

I realize this might seem like a rant, but that was my first and last experience with Benny Moore Exterior Aura paint. For my time, labor, and money, I'll stick with Duration.

I would love to hear thoughts/experiences of anyone else who has used it!
Thanks guys

·
tsevnami
2,189 Posts
try accolades or manor hall timeless. both way better paints and you can get em for like 7 dollars a gallon less than duration. I feel that they have de formulated durations and its pretty mediocre now.

·
Flog a Mocker
1,493 Posts
NEXT! one coat coverage??? NO WAY! Using the semi-gloss formula, I strugled to get a cream colored paint to cover..well, cream. I ended up 2 coating all of the cream color, and 3 coating everything that wasnt. Doors I sprayed with my HVLP took 3 as well. My brush technique has not changed even slightly from any other job I have done this summer.

I always use a satin/low lustre sheen and the Aura is now my prefered paint for any darker colors. I will still use the Duration (Ext) for whites/creams because of the mil thickness but you can't beat the coverage and appearance of the Aura. My experience has been completely opposite from yours.

I posted this pic on another thread. This is one coat Aura covering a vinyl replacement board.

Attachments

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
At 60 buck a gal it better make a terd look like heavenly pearly gates. Hell even at 30 bucks it better at least sing to me. Benny is over rated and overpriced.

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
Lets face it the days of 20$ or even 30$ a gallon is soon to be gone (for quality that is)... If your paying 60$ for Aura your paying retail...

SW is over rated in opinion... but we can argue crap like that forever and it will never change one mind..

·
Registered
463 Posts
Timeless covers better and applies easier than Duration or Aura and costs less than both - plus, you can give your customers that warm fuzzy feeling by telling them about the "Lifetime Warranty".

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts