Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best Cabinet Primer and Paint.

I have used a lot and will post what I think after I get some feedback.

Just curious if there is something better.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Currently my system is Zinsser smart Prime (blocks tannins) followed by Scuff-x. There are some products I think leave a bit nicer finish ( Benjamin Moore advance, SW Emerald trim urethane) and some products that dry a bit harder (Breakthrough) but all factors considered for how I do things (ease if use,durability, dry time, finish)the best choice for me has been Scuff-x w/ about 8oz of extender. I have not tried any of the waterborne 2K polys but those are supposed to be the bee's knees. I like the cabinet coat too, but it's been a while since I tried that one.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Currently my system is Zinsser smart Prime (blocks tannins) followed by Scuff-x. There are some products I think leave a bit nicer finish ( Benjamin Moore advance, SW Emerald trim urethane) and some products that dry a bit harder (Breakthrough) but all factors considered for how I do things (ease if use,durability, dry time, finish)the best choice for me has been Scuff-x w/ about 8oz of extender. I have not tried any of the waterborne 2K polys but those are supposed to be the bee's knees. I like the cabinet coat too, but it's been a while since I tried that one.
I have never tried Scuff X for cabinets, but we did a High School just recently with it and that product seemed legit.

The Benjamin Advance seems to have a tendency to Sag and the Emerald Urethane seems to scratch off easily. I love Breakthrough dry time but coverage sometimes takes 3 coats if we have to hand brush the boxes at the customer's house.

I'll have to try the zinssar smart prime, typical we use extreme bond or Multi purpose primer from SW then if it Tans I'll use Bin in between sand coats of primer.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I've done two sets of kitchen cabinets with Envirolak from Canada. 170TB tannin blocking primer and the 200 series water base polyurethane. Super products. I have not tried with the crosslinker yet, but supposed to increase adhesion, hardness, and water resistancy. The finish is really nice, super smooth, easy to apply with airless. A little runny on the boxes, I will try a 206 next time.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Impervo is basically all ever use. maybe fine paints of europe if I ever feel like really getting into it. That product is unlike anything else waterborne products don't even come close

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Nothing but 2k poly,CV and Precat lacquer for top coat.Vinyl sealer and lacquer undercoat as a primer.For spot stain BIN shellac and vinyl sealer on top.
The rest of the products are for wall and trim not for the cabinets if you are running for a top notch job and %110 percent customer satisfaction period .

·
Banned
878 Posts
I've done two sets of kitchen cabinets with Envirolak from Canada. 170TB tannin blocking primer and the 200 series water base polyurethane. Super products. I have not tried with the crosslinker yet, but supposed to increase adhesion, hardness, and water resistancy. The finish is really nice, super smooth, easy to apply with airless. A little runny on the boxes, I will try a 206 next time.
I've been wanting to try this. How was the primer for sanding?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I've been wanting to try this. How was the primer for sanding?
Very nice, firm, but no too dusty. I was putting it on pretty heavy IMO but still sanding through on the edges and corners using super fine surfprep pads. I have always done one coat primer, two finish. The data page calls for two primer, then one topcoat? I might give that a go on my next one, it will be new doors. With the crosslinker it makes it super water resistant on the primer.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,247 Posts
Nothing but 2k poly,CV and Precat lacquer for top coat.Vinyl sealer and lacquer undercoat as a primer.For spot stain BIN shellac and vinyl sealer on top.
The rest of the products are for wall and trim not for the cabinets if you are running for a top notch job and %110 percent customer satisfaction period .
Your obviously doing new stock. I know your very passionate about your procedures, but most guys on here are doing re-paints and don't have a 100k shop setup for spraying 2k lacquer.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Not yet. But just bringing forth that most people aren't going to be doing repaints with 2k lacquers. Your a bit a 1 trick pony.
1k and 2k polys are what is taking over the market, but very slowly. Most major companies look at me cross-eyed when I mention 2k poly, they have no idea. Even SW with their hydroplus, the regular reps don't know what it is. When I read the data page for hydroplus, it looks for new construction, not repaint. Where as the italian and international polys have some primers that are suited for repaint work, then their products will go right on top. A lot of people use KemAqua and that's fine, just no where near the quality of a poly. Then lacquers are getting so hard to use in someone's house. I like the fact that I can use a crosslinker and not be dealing with an isocynate product.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Where are you guys getting the 2K poly? I know a cabinet maker who gave up on some of them and switched to breakthrough because they were too much of a hassle to get, (im 2 hrs north of Seattle so a bit remote). I'd be interested in trying one with a compatible primer that I could use on repaints with a standard airless

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
1k and 2k polys are what is taking over the market, but very slowly. Most major companies look at me cross-eyed when I mention 2k poly, they have no idea. Even SW with their hydroplus, the regular reps don't know what it is. When I read the data page for hydroplus, it looks for new construction, not repaint. Where as the italian and international polys have some primers that are suited for repaint work, then their products will go right on top. A lot of people use KemAqua and that's fine, just no where near the quality of a poly. Then lacquers are getting so hard to use in someone's house. I like the fact that I can use a crosslinker and not be dealing with an isocynate product.
You are right 100 percent.They all have ups and downs.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Where are you guys getting the 2K poly? I know a cabinet maker who gave up on some of them and switched to breakthrough because they were too much of a hassle to get, (im 2 hrs north of Seattle so a bit remote). I'd be interested in trying one with a compatible primer that I could use on repaints with a standard airless
2k poly by it self is noting more than a high VOC breakthrough maybe a little better.Where it shines is the Catalyst.After a 10 percent is a bullet proof .you hit the hammer or try to scratch if you can.
where ppl hate it is the vertical holding if you spray heavy.But there is also solution for that either.Thickener.yeah it is a catalyst also.you will add very small amount and it will let you spray 10 mils .
Next generation stuff.You will not believe until you try.
Google Renner and MK Sales has it.The price is steep like 80 + bucks a gallon.
Spraying is a childs play with a 308 tip .Good luck

·
Banned
878 Posts
I am going to try Envirolak on something at my house. Maybe I'll go buy some used furniture from the ReStore or something. Envirolak is only a couple of hours from where I live, so sourcing it should be easy peasy, unlike Renner and everyone else. It's a pain to get certain things in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,247 Posts
I am going to try Envirolak on something at my house. Maybe I'll go buy some used furniture from the ReStore or something. Envirolak is only a couple of hours from where I live, so sourcing it should be easy peasy, unlike Renner and everyone else. It's a pain to get certain things in Canada.
Try living in Newfoundland. Most shops won't even look at special orders, as you would need a minimum order for fear of it sitting on the shelf, or freezing on the boat ride over..

·
Registered
375 Posts
2k poly by it self is noting more than a high VOC breakthrough maybe a little better.Where it shines is the Catalyst.After a 10 percent is a bullet proof .you hit the hammer or try to scratch if you can.
where ppl hate it is the vertical holding if you spray heavy.But there is also solution for that either.Thickener.yeah it is a catalyst also.you will add very small amount and it will let you spray 10 mils .
Next generation stuff.You will not believe until you try.
Google Renner and MK Sales has it.The price is steep like 80 + bucks a gallon.
Spraying is a childs play with a 308 tip .Good luck
Thanks for the scoop! Sounds like i may need to give it a try.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts