Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm a true believer in the Milesi Product, it is just unreal how it levels, I'm going to shoot some Renner in the future, I'm wanting to try Renner's Waterbased Primer. Used a 310 or 308 FFLP Tip, UNREAL!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Muralo Ultra that no longer exists.

To be fair I didn't use it on cabinets, but it's held up on any other trim piece I've used it on, including even tables. I even have it on a small end table where I'd slide drinks across it, etc, and it's fine. In my own house I find my older coats of Muralo Ultra are actually doing better as far as hand oils, scratches, etc, compared to BM Advance put on for a mild remodel a few months ago in a different room. :/

I've tried the Cali version but I found it not quite as good as the old Muralo version.

Oh well. :(

·
Registered
115 Posts
Muralo Ultra that no longer exists.

To be fair I didn't use it on cabinets, but it's held up on any other trim piece I've used it on, including even tables. I even have it on a small end table where I'd slide drinks across it, etc, and it's fine. In my own house I find my older coats of Muralo Ultra are actually doing better as far as hand oils, scratches, etc, compared to BM Advance put on for a mild remodel a few months ago in a different room. :/

I've tried the Cali version but I found it not quite as good as the old Muralo version.

Oh well. :(
I used to love Muralo Ultra. It was my preferred trim product. The Ceramic was a great product for walls, too. For cabinets, I like ML Campbell Agualente Plus pre cat if we are spraying the boxes, or we use Breakthrough if we are brushing them. I have really wanted to try Melisi 2K, but just haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I used to love Muralo Ultra. It was my preferred trim product. The Ceramic was a great product for walls, too. For cabinets, I like ML Campbell Agualente Plus pre cat if we are spraying the boxes, or we use Breakthrough if we are brushing them. I have really wanted to try Melisi 2K, but just haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet.
I had an MLcambpell rep in my shop recently where the conversation I had with the rep essentially boiled down to 'well how are you going to market our product' and it got me thinking I should DEFINITELY be looking at something like Renner or Melisi where the product sells its self simply by being superior.

PS I recall the the rep's knowledge seemingly limited to data sheets and not much real world experience. He kept talking about CAT and kremlin AAA and I was like dude I've rebuilt CAT pumps I'm pretty familiar with them and Merkers. I had mentioned to him about HVLP turbines and had no I idea what I was talking about:cautious:. ML doesn't make a 0-5 sheen or even a 10 sheen so their a non starter anyway.

To get a perspective on different levels of product support bill strey from general finishes TOOK ME TO DINNER and GF offered to special make me a 5 sheen conversion varnish. Pretty amazing coming from a little guy.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,151 Posts
I had an MLcambpell rep in my shop recently where the conversation I had with the rep essentially boiled down to 'well how are you going to market our product' and it got me thinking I should DEFINITELY be looking at something like Renner or Melisi where the product sells its self simply by being superior.

PS I recall the the rep's knowledge seemingly limited to data sheets and not much real world experience. He kept talking about CAT and kremlin AAA and I was like dude I've rebuilt CAT pumps I'm pretty familiar with them and Merkers. I had mentioned to him about HVLP turbines and had no I idea what I was talking about:cautious:. ML doesn't make a 0-5 sheen or even a 10 sheen so their a non starter anyway.

To get a perspective on different levels of product support bill strey from general finishes TOOK ME TO DINNER and GF offered to special make me a 5 sheen conversion varnish. Pretty amazing coming from a little guy.
Interesting enough, ML Cambell is actually something I can get locally. In fact, I think the aquelente is old technology and they have a newer water based product. ? Is this something that can be used on repaints? Anyone have the skinny on this stuff. I need to get my hands on better stuff around my parts for cabinet & furniture repaints mostly.

·
Monarchski
207 Posts

Isn't ML Campbell owned by Sherwin Williams?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Isn't ML Campbell owned by Sherwin Williams?
I'm not 100% sure but I got that feeling after they told me ml Campbell 'owns' minwax and they can 'match' minwax colors. I was thinking at the time we'll minwax is a bull*** stain so ...

I talked to the rep again today and he said explicitly that they compete with Sherwin. If they are infact a Sherwin owned company that's a deal breaker and something I feel like they should be more upfront with a independent dealer. Something I'll look into thanks. I absolutely refuse to carry anything from Sherwin!

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,151 Posts
Respec, are you using the agualente plus on repaints? What are you priming with if thats the case.? Also, what about Arroyo. Isn't that the newer version of the aguelente plus? cheers

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I got that feeling after they told me ml Campbell 'owns' minwax and they can 'match' minwax colors. I was thinking at the time we'll minwax is a bull*** stain so ...

I talked to the rep again today and he said explicitly that they compete with Sherwin. If they are infact a Sherwin owned company that's a deal breaker and something I feel like they should be more upfront with a independent dealer. Something I'll look into thanks. I absolutely refuse to carry anything from Sherwin!
Sherwin Williams owns MLC according to SW’s 2020 annual report. MLC’s Woodsong II is available in Minwax colors. I’ve used and liked working with the Woodsong II solvent borne stains..

·
Monarchski
207 Posts

Sherwin owns Minwax also.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Sherwin Williams owns MLC according to SW’s 2020 annual report. MLC’s Woodsong II is available in Minwax colors. I’ve used and liked working with the Woodsong II solvent borne stains..
I understand MLC may be pretty excellent their precat lacquer I hear is exceptionally good though I'm pretty happy with the lenmar solvent stains and lacquers.

MLC wants to do some aggressive marketing in my area going on sales calls knocking on big shops. I'm feeling that brining on a SW product is going to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Respec, are you using the agualente plus on repaints? What are you priming with if thats the case.? Also, what about Arroyo. Isn't that the newer version of the aguelente plus? cheers
Yes, I use it on refinishes and new stuff. When we refinish, we remove the old finish. I did look at the Arroyo. It has some interesting attributes, but just didn't rate as well overall as the Agualente even though it rated pretty well, so I have stuck with what I know. We have had zero issues with it and it has performed great for us. I had switched over to Kem Aqua Plus for a short period because my Agualente supplier had left me hanging a couple of times, but within a year, we have seen a couple failures, so I don't trust it anymore. In the meantime, my Agualente supplier has addressed the issues they had, so we are using that again.

·
Registered
115 Posts

The rep I deal with knows his stuff pretty darn well. He is always straight up with me. I have used the Agualente quite a bit and it hasn't let me down, where Kem Aqua has, and I wasn't impressed with the Lenmar waterborne. My supplier carries Melisi too. I have talked with him about it because I want to try it. His opinion was in comparison to the Agualente, using a waterborne Melisi as a 1K, he gave the edge to Agualente, but if you make it a 2K, then the Melisi would be superior.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
The rep I deal with knows his stuff pretty darn well. He is always straight up with me. I have used the Agualente quite a bit and it hasn't let me down, where Kem Aqua has, and I wasn't impressed with the Lenmar waterborne. My supplier carries Melisi too. I have talked with him about it because I want to try it. His opinion was in comparison to the Agualente, using a waterborne Melisi as a 1K, he gave the edge to Agualente, but if you make it a 2K, then the Melisi would be superior.
MLC may be a good product however seeing as its under the SW umbrellea I'm not really that interested and espeically pushing a precat lacquer where I'm making maybe 20% margins. I've used Melisi and its a great product but I'm worried about product availability and turn around time on orders. Was talking the surfprep rep today, austin, he was pointing me towards CIC out of texas and Renner coatings.

·
Registered
115 Posts
MLC may be a good product however seeing as its under the SW umbrellea I'm not really that interested and espeically pushing a precat lacquer where I'm making maybe 20% margins. I've used Melisi and its a great product but I'm worried about product availability and turn around time on orders. Was talking the surfprep rep today, austin, he was pointing me towards CIC out of texas and Renner coatings.
I get that about being under SW umbrella, although that is not as much of a concern of mine for that product as long as they don't end up messing with it, and it is easily available to me. Renner and CIC are both great products I hear, but I don't have anyone local as far as I know. I just don't like the idea of buying product from someone 100 miles or more away when I have a source in the area I work in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nothing but 2k poly,CV and Precat lacquer for top coat.Vinyl sealer and lacquer undercoat as a primer.For spot stain BIN shellac and vinyl sealer on top.
The rest of the products are for wall and trim not for the cabinets if you are running for a top notch job and %110 percent customer satisfaction period .
Yep....people just have different ideas about quality. But either you do class A finish or you don't. That simple.... 2k hard to beat really. Any yellowing stuff is thing of the past.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm a true believer in the Milesi Product, it is just unreal how it levels, I'm going to shoot some Renner in the future, I'm wanting to try Renner's Waterbased Primer. Used a 310 or 308 FFLP Tip, UNREAL!!!
Milesi is fantastic product hands down. So pure as well, can switch back to aaa flat tip. I had 4 filters in the past to filter domestic stuff and it would still clogs.
Nothing of a kind with Milesi....just superior product

21 - 39 of 39 Posts