Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
The best I have ever used was PPG Premium Ceiling Paint 17-45. This has been discontinued as 17-45, but I was told it has been re-named PPG 6-45 Speed Hide Interior Latex Flat Bright White . I am still trying to locate where I can buy this.

futtyos

·
Registered
PPG & BM Dealer
24 Posts
The best I have ever used was PPG Premium Ceiling Paint 17-45. This has been discontinued as 17-45, but I was told it has been re-named PPG 6-45 Speed Hide Interior Latex Flat Bright White . I am still trying to locate where I can buy this.

futtyos
PPG TOLD us they were discontinuing all the PPG, Porter and Pittsburgh ceiling paints (PP9585, 50-35, 17-45 and DRN6001) and consolidating them into one product (9585). The 17-45 was closed out for a few months, then it was suddenly no longer closed out and available with no word from PPG (our rep wasn't even aware it was available again). Unrelated to that, neither of PPG's ceiling paints were unavailable for a while due to raw material shortages, but they are finally back in stock (for now).

It may have been that the 6-45 and 17-45 were cross filled, I haven't heard of that being the case, but it also wouldn't surprise me.

Long story short, you should try asking your dealer to order some 17-45, even if they think it's discontinued. I have some sitting on my shelf right now :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I like the BM ultra flat ceiling paint a lot, but you have to make sure the substrate is trouble free, otherwise it EXPLODES. Had one ceiling that had cigarette tar on it, without me noticing with limited window light and next day, it exploded !!!
Also had a few plaster ceilings gassing in areas where even repairs were an issue. Although with the ultra flat, once it settled was seamless
***With any nicotine tar in a house, never roll the good stuff. Ofcourse prep and prime, but definitely use BM Suer Hide !!! Just 2cents

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like the BM ultra flat ceiling paint a lot, but you have to make sure the substrate is trouble free, otherwise it EXPLODES. Had one ceiling that had cigarette tar on it, without me noticing with limited window light and next day, it exploded !!!
Also had a few plaster ceilings gassing in areas where even repairs were an issue. Although with the ultra flat, once it settled was seamless
***With any nicotine tar in a house, never roll the good stuff. Ofcourse prep and prime, but definitely use BM Suer Hide !!! Just 2cents
What you mean exploded !!!
Like this ???
Pollution Atmospheric phenomenon Font Fire Heat

·
Registered
99 Posts
Also had a few plaster ceilings gassing in areas where even repairs were an issue. Although with the ultra flat, once it settled was seamless***With any nicotine tar in a house, never roll the good stuff. Ofcourse prep and prime, but definitely use BM Suer Hide !!! Just 2cents
Just wait till Calgarypainter reads your post, lol

·
Registered
313 Posts
Extremely surprised by the promar fans. It's easy to work with initially but looks like absolute hot garbage 3 months after application.

I use it a lot because I do a lot of production homes, and it's in my contract, but I absolutely hate it.

For me, I really prefer high end flats even though they aren't completely dead flat, they maintain their looks for years. Emerald, Prominence/Manor Hall, Ultralast and, surprisingly, Behr Marquee all make for great ceiling paints.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Extremely surprised by the promar fans. It's easy to work with initially but looks like absolute hot garbage 3 months after application.

I use it a lot because I do a lot of production homes, and it's in my contract, but I absolutely hate it.

For me, I really prefer high end flats even though they aren't completely dead flat, they maintain their looks for years. Emerald, Prominence/Manor Hall, Ultralast and, surprisingly, Behr Marquee all make for great ceiling paints.
I like the S-W Promar too. I think it covers well and touches up well too. But it is cheap, flat ceiling paint. Why do you say it looks like garbage 3 months later? I have never noticed that unless the environment is not clean, then yes, it will hold dirt and stains and can't be washed. I am a big Ben Moore fan and prefer most of their interior paints, but not the ceiling paint unless I want to pay twice as much for the waterborne. I don't like the Muresco really at all. It doesn't cover. I'll agree that the paints you mention are superior products, but they are 3 times as much too. They are washable products and that might be a good choice for a kitchen or bath, but in general, I just think it is overkill. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I used to love BM 508, but since BM decided to put it in plastic cans I have been dealing with tons of chunks in it. And from my discussion with my paint store manager I am not the only one. I now use California Diamond unless the home owner wants the paint tinted then I get the BM 508 and get a paint strainer to deal with the chunks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts