Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best type of veneered ply people have used for a smooth finish when spraying? With little need for grain filling? Its a mudroom locker and I don't want to use MDF. Looking to spray with a white pigmented CV.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Try checking out MDO... exterior rated (seen it used interior)...used it to build and ultimately paint on a deck project recently.. You can get one or both sides spec'd "smooth" and comes in different thicknesses..sorry dont have a pic of actual product. It is pricier than birch or maple 4x8's and a lumber supplier (non-big box) only purchase/order.

·
Administrator
20,033 Posts
Not to argue the point, but why would a “glass like” finish be desired on a mud room locker in the first place? Wouldn’t a nice, durable, and well done satin or semi-gloss finish work just as well, if not better?
By any chance, is there a designer behind this request?

Note - maybe it’s just a matter of terminology. When I see the phrase “glass like” I think of something along the lines of the lacquered finish on a grand piano or high end piece of furniture, instead of just the type of finish that you might see on well done cabinets or doors.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Not to argue the point, but why would a “glass like” finish be desired on a mud room locker in the first place? Wouldn’t a nice, durable, and well done satin or semi-gloss finish work just as well, if not better?
By any chance, is there a designer behind this request?

Note - maybe it’s just a matter of terminology. When I see the phrase “glass like” I think of something along the lines of the lacquered finish on a grand piano or high end piece of furniture, instead of just the type of finish that you might see on well done cabinets or doors.

I once had a customer the first time I did an estimate for him take me over to his grand piano and He told me he wanted all his trim and cabinets to have that good and smooth of a finish. I asked him what the piano cost and told him to look at all the footage of trim and cabinets imagine the cost. Surprisingly I have done several jobs for him over the years and it actually has been a good thing but it was a huge red flag to start off with.

·
Administrator
20,033 Posts
I once had a customer the first time I did an estimate for him take me over to his grand piano and He told me he wanted all his trim and cabinets to have that good and smooth of a finish. I asked him what the piano cost and told him to look at all the footage of trim and cabinets imagine the cost. Surprisingly I have done several jobs for him over the years and it actually has been a good thing but it was a huge red flag to start off with.
Did he end up with the finish he wanted or did he rethink it?

Reactions: monarchski

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Did he end up with the finish he wanted or did he rethink it?

He ended up getting a quality Oil based Satin Impervo finish but no where near the quality on the Piano. It was a repaint and the wood was no where near the quality of the wood on the Piano. This was years ago.

I think it is interesting the level that people think we can do. I have had people request automotive finish quality before too. Usually those are red flags and I pass on the project. The amount of effort and money needed to achieve that is near impossible. Plus 90 percent of my work is repaint so you got to work with what you got to begin with. It maybe like you said earlier that its just a difference of Terminology but words like Glass Finish, Automotive quality, or Perfect I'm ready to pass on those jobs. Quality work for sure but the closer one gets to perfection the cost goes up exponentially and my enjoyment drops as I'm shinning lights down the wall or trim to fix any minor imperfection. Those are not for me anymore.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a plywood supplier that has a maple thats smooth enough. Im just debating between using KA+ or a CV....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts