Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a job coming up where the 110 yr old house has 18" Grooved Cedar Split-Shake Siding. In the past, the best tool I found for prepping has been wire-brushes, but I'm hoping for more of a, "feathered-edge", than what I can get from wire brushes.

I'm not opposed to spending some money on good tools. I've looked at all of the Festool sanders and I've read through many forums, but can't find a definitive answer as to whether or not one of their specific sanders would work for this job.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the most efficient way for me to go about this? Thanks in advance for your time and insight.

·
Painting Contractor
4,066 Posts
I tell the HO they're not going to look like new. We've used wire brushes, sanding sponges, and scrapers held at an angle. Never a power sander.
Just make sure to set the expectations really low!

Sent from my blah blah blah

·
Super Moderator
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, I've tried just about everything that ya could stick in a drill, but nothing ever worked very well.

I've already made it clear to the custy that if he were interested in making it look brand new he'd have to replace it or find a company who'd strip it with chems. Even told him if he found a company who could do both strip & paint, and he was interested in a showroom appearance, to go with them, since he'd prolly get a better deal.

It's just crazy to me though, after 25 yrs of painting, this is the 1 kind of siding I have no answers for in regards to prep. Seems like every painter I've known says the best you can do is wire brush, bonding primer, and make sure to back-brush/roll.

Stelzer Painting Inc.

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
After trying all sorts of contraptions for "Sidewall Shakes" AKA "Certigroove Shingles", we pretty much gave up. We even made some custom scrapers with a bunch of steel fingers. For clients who want them to look like new, there's an obvious solution.

Chemical stripping may be a close second.

The stuff should never be painted, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I've got a job coming up where the 110 yr old house has 18" Grooved Cedar Split-Shake Siding. In the past, the best tool I found for prepping has been wire-brushes, but I'm hoping for more of a, "feathered-edge", than what I can get from wire brushes.

I'm not opposed to spending some money on good tools. I've looked at all of the Festool sanders and I've read through many forums, but can't find a definitive answer as to whether or not one of their specific sanders would work for this job.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the most efficient way for me to go about this? Thanks in advance for your time and insight.
Can you throw up a few pics to show what exactly your talking about? I'm thinking maybe a dremal sander, buy those things are so little

Sent from my SGH-T989D using PaintTalk.com mobile app

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
The problem is when there's a buildup of paint and some of it fails. It looks nasty, and there is no easy fix.

·
Super Moderator
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem is when there's a buildup of paint and some of it fails. It looks nasty, and there is no easy fix.

Agreed. The only, "trick", (if you could even call it that), is to scrape the underneath side first, since the majority of failure happens on the lower half, loose paint will often jump off the boards. Still left with the whole, "no way to feather the edge" thing though.

Stelzer Painting Inc.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yeah I did a house like that a few years ago. Looked like garbage, some boards had 50+ years of paint, some new, some half flaked off.

If still think a dremal tool would work best. They have a mini power scrapper attachment

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
Yeah I did a house like that a few years ago. Looked like garbage, some boards had 50+ years of paint, some new, some half flaked off.

If still think a dremal tool would work best. They have a mini power scrapper attachment

Once you start with something that slow and labor intensive, it become cheaper to replace the shingles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts