Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I'm coming up to a fire restoration job where I'll be using a full face respirator. The government contractor is setting up negative air ventilation to assist with keeping vapors to a safe level. My concern is the overspray while doing the deck. Will rinsing and rubbing with methyl hydrate melt and haze the face shield plastic lens? I saw a youtube video of a guy polishing his face shield with very fine 3m polish which looked like it worked but not sure if it would with BIN/shellac based coating. I've read through some other fire restoration threads about taping off seams to gloves etc., changing out filters and pre-filters often and keeping spraying outside of work area to avoid engine sparks. Any other good tips welcome, as I have never sprayed a large amount of BIN in a somewhat confined space (20' x 60' room with 15' ceilings, no windows).

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
Hey Guys,
I'm coming up to a fire restoration job where I'll be using a full face respirator. The government contractor is setting up negative air ventilation to assist with keeping vapors to a safe level. My concern is the overspray while doing the deck. Will rinsing and rubbing with methyl hydrate melt and haze the face shield plastic lens? I saw a youtube video of a guy polishing his face shield with very fine 3m polish which looked like it worked but not sure if it would with BIN/shellac based coating. I've read through some other fire restoration threads about taping off seams to gloves etc., changing out filters and pre-filters often and keeping spraying outside of work area to avoid engine sparks. Any other good tips welcome, as I have never sprayed a large amount of BIN in a somewhat confined space (20' x 60' room with 15' ceilings, no windows).
See if you can track down some of the peel-off clear covers for the faceplate.
In a pinch, we've substituted the clear acetate sheets used for overhead projectors.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
See if you can track down some of the peel-off clear covers for the faceplate.
In a pinch, we've substituted the clear acetate sheets used for overhead projectors.
What he said. Theyre called tear off lenses.

Masking film works good as well believe it or not. But a 20x60 room... That aint much. Id prob be dun before it was even time for a new lens.

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
Check out Amazon.ca for "face shield covers".

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

K I'll try and track down the tear offs. I just don't want to run into an issue as the job is up north 10hr drive from any stores that would have supplie, so i'd rather be safe than sorry.

thanks, guys

·
Premium Member
15,415 Posts
Not a bad idea Bill!

I would not recommend cleaning the fixed lens with anything other than water or lens wipes. Get the tear offs. They're not that expensive. The maximum
I like using is around four disposable lenses at a time. Anything more, it becomes harder to see.

I usually fix the first lens with tape on both ends so it won't pull off as I rip the others. I fix the subsequent lenses with just enough tape to realease without bringing the whole stack with it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I buy the tear aways from Dulux on Century most of the time Spektrum. If they don't have them try Macmor on Sherwin Rd. Make sure you bring enough. Once you get paint on the lens of the full face respirator, there is no fixing it.

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
I buy the tear aways from Dulux on Century most of the time Spektrum. If they don't have them try Macmor on Sherwin Rd. Make sure you bring enough. Once you get paint on the lens of the full face respirator, there is no fixing it.
It can be fixed, but believe me, it's an incredibly time-consuming process. You start with wet/dry paper and work your way up to about 2000 grit, then you switch to a series of liquid scratch removers and polishes.

Tear aways are a much better way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts