Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
11,491 Posts
While Using Berh and glidden paint, two painters had to go to the hospital for inhalation of ammonia that was coming out of the paint
Yup! You are preaching to the choir with me! But I sure hope they are ok! This seemed to be a real hot button issue here on PT a year or so ago. There are quite a few people who thought i was having olfactory hallucinations. BUT it IS there, and it DOES stink, AND IT CAN BE ENOUGH TO BE DANGEROUS!

· Registered
15,698 Posts
I'm not buying this story. The concentration of amonia would have to be so high as to render the paint useless. And I'm basing this on my experience around industrial containers full of high concentrate ammonia. I once opened one up and got hit in the olfactory glands with a smack like someone cracked a football sized capsule of amyl nitrate.

· Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,342 Posts
As has already been requested, I'd like JM to cite his source for these incidents.

· Registered
1,587 Posts
Nature of post.

While Using Berh and glidden paint, two painters had to go to the hospital for inhalation of ammonia that was coming out of the paint
JIM MAC, I was just rereading your post and realized that you did not punctuate the end of it. Are you making a statement, asking a question or something else (for example: is this perhaps an excited utterance under the Federal Rules of Evidence?)?

Also, where do they sell Berh paint?

futtyos

· Registered
11,491 Posts
I'm not buying this story. The concentration of amonia would have to be so high as to render the paint useless. And I'm basing this on my experience around industrial containers full of high concentrate ammonia. I once opened one up and got hit in the olfactory glands with a smack like someone cracked a football sized capsule of amyl nitrate.
If someone was painting a small room, like a bathroom, with no ventilation while drinking many beers simultaneously, they could conceivably pass out. But honestly the concentration in Behr is enough that even with ventilation there is enough ammonia in it to cause my nose to run pretty badly. And I could choke to death on it.

· Registered
11,491 Posts
when I get a whiff of ammonia when I open a cheap s55 can of paint, it kicks off my roid rage!

· Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,342 Posts
Sitting on open buckets of anything could give you roid rage after a while - just sayin'.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have no use for either and wouldn't ever choose them myself.....Sooooooo, wouldn't you know that an old friend called me a few weeks ago to paint his new offices and proudly tells me "don't worry about paint, I've already bought the good stuff. Yea right. Spent an evening in there painting and even with fans and ventilation I still felt like I had pneumonia the next day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts