Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at bidding a 343 window, 8 story apartment complex. Re-glaze all sashes, paint and make necessary sill and sash repairs as needed.

I believe that a boom lift is needed for at least 20 days.

It's 119 windows each on the East and West side. With 35 on the south side and 70 in the front of the building. It's downtown by the lake in my city. Garages are at the very bottom. I would have to work in phases. But I have the darnest idea how to bid this monster. I have the windows bidded at 30min each window-scrape,prime,paint. They are in decent shape,every window isn't chipping.

Now for the re-glazing I have $35hr per man with 3 guys that'll be working. Repairs at $50hr plus material.

Am I bidding this right? I was told to bid commercial different than residential.
Should I get a swing stage?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
propaintermke said:
I'm looking at bidding a 343 window, 8 story apartment complex. Re-glaze all sashes, paint and make necessary sill and sash repairs as needed.

It's 119 windows each on the East and West side. With 35 on the south side and 70 in the front of the building. It's downtown by the lake in my city. Garages are at the very bottom. I would have to work in phases. But I have the darnest idea how to bid this monster. I have the windows bidded at 30min each window-scrape,prime,paint. They are in decent shape,every window isn't chipping.

Now for the re-glazing I have $35hr per man with 3 guys that'll be working. Repairs at $50hr plus material.

Am I bidding this right? I was told to bid commercial different than residential.
Being a MC Steeple Jack since my mid 20's and am about to turn 51 it looks like you have some solid #'s. My pal Ridge and I are use to working 40-60 and sometimes 100 floor towers.

Apartment Buildings are usually not set up for suspended scaffold/swing stages.

Since you are asking should I use a swing stage. I would but you will have to have an assessment done by a professional scaffold Co.

Swing Staging is a physically and mentally demanding job. Depending on the work involved can make the simplest task on the ground, be very demanding suspended in the air.

You have to realize also when your working over the street sidewalks have to be barricaded off.

Sometimes you may need a security guard. Ridge says go T and M with a not to exceed clause. Without pics we are going to give it a stab at 480 man hours shouldn't take more than 600.

Getting 2 men to work together on a stage is a learning curve, GOOD communication is everything.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

Now for the re-glazing I have $35hr per man with 3 guys that'll be working. Repairs at $50hr plus

How old is the building? Did you do a lead check? If you have lead watch your sanding

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
Don't forget to factor in the amount of time it's going to take you to get the equipment in place and secured at the end of each day. Since you're going to be renting the equipment, did you take into account the days you may be having it and not be able to work due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances? It all adds up.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Just my two cents--

I bid everything off the ground much higher than if I am standing on the ground. It takes time just to get up the scaffold.

·
Banned
3,745 Posts
Do you realize that depending on the topography of the ground you may reach the eighth floor windows with a 80 ft boom MAXED out- sraight up in the air!
The next size is I think 120 ft. You're going to want another boom,I'd go smaller though, to have glazing/ repairs and painting going on effeciently. You got the rental,fuel,set-up and break-down time.
Can't see the building but a swing would probably be highly impracticle as you only have 8 stories. How many windows could you finish on a drop? Can you re-rig the swing to move to the next drop or will you have to pay the scaffolding co.
to move it everytime?
Are you a house painter and is all of your help house painters?
Just pointing out a few things that you may not have taken into account. Good luck.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think I would bid it at least two hours per window + whatever it costs for materials and lifts/scaffold. So yeah, like 50k. Still probably less than one month's revenue from the building. Homeowners regularly pay 12 to 24 months worth of mortgage for new windows!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
considering the amount of times you have to come back to a window:

1- scraping & sanding
2- caulking & reglazing
3- slow drying alkyd primer
4- coat 1
5- coat 2

I don't see how this is even a 2 hours of labour per window! Possibly if they were all easy access windows, but not ones that require a lot of set up and moving around!

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
considering the amount of times you have to come back to a window:

1- scraping & sanding
2- caulking & reglazing
3- slow drying alkyd primer
4- coat 1
5- coat 2

I don't see how this is even a 2 hours of labour per window! Possibly if they were all easy access windows, but not ones that require a lot of set up and moving around!

+ don't forget time for the oil primer to dry BEFORE you put the glazing on.:whistling2: 2 hours a window will not even be close imo

·
Administrator
19,807 Posts
I realize that everyone eventually has to push their comfort zone in order to expand into new areas of work so they can gain more experience and grow their business. But the amount and type of questions being asked here seems to indicate too much unfamiliarity with how to go about doing this size job safely, and profitably.

Not busting on ya PPM - just concerned that this job could really blow up in your face.

Reactions: scottjr

·
Banned
3,745 Posts
I realize that everyone eventually has to push their comfort zone in order to expand into new areas of work so they can gain more experience and grow their business. But the amount and type of questions being asked here seems to indicate too much unfamiliarity with how to go about doing this size job safely, and profitably.

Not busting on ya PPM - just concerned that this job could really blow up in your face.
Well said, sir.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts