Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
I have always been drawn to black and white photography.

I would love to see some of your black and white photos!
You'd have to come east for a week's visit to see all mine - and most are still negatives :whistling2:

I just developed a computer glitch - graphic's card PCIe slot just went south. No more dual screen. Sure the onboard VGA still works, but editing on single screen is a PITA. And no, my lappy is not powerful enough to run these editing progs.

Reactions: Cricket

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Cricket,

Have you ever played with B&W infrared photog? I used to do quite a bit when I was developing my own film.

I just researched digital infrared. Almost tempted to have my d-40 converted to infrared. Costs about $275. Now the camera itself can be converted OR a dark dark dark red filter that you can't see through.

It's a fun and dynamic medium to play with.

Reactions: Cricket

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cricket,

Have you ever played with B&W infrared photog? I used to do quite a bit when I was developing my own film.

I just researched digital infrared. Almost tempted to have my d-40 converted to infrared. Costs about $275. Now the camera itself can be converted OR a dark dark dark red filter that you can't see through.

It's a fun and dynamic medium to play with.
I have not yet but it is on my list of things to learn!

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
What is the mess in the foreground of urban sprawl PP. Very well composed "dark" image of urban sprawl!
Steve, thanks.. its actually river rock along a beautiful harbor. In retrospect, the image would have been a clearer juxtiposition of natural beauty and the urban sprawl had I composed with more of the water showing.

Here is another shot showing this building in the background. As a side note, the subject boat is named "Motion Granted" which I thought was ingenious and lends to mind if the legal profession paid for it or if it was won it in a divorce.

·
Time Traveler
1,624 Posts
I don't do too many conversions to B/W but I notice that faces stand out better without so many colors to distract.
You can even tell his eyes are blue.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
I guess cutting my photo eye tooth on B&W, I see more shapes and proportions than color interplay when I look at landscapes. What I see is better translated by B&W. And thus I love the winter as the snow provides a ready made white canvas. And the feeling of bleak cold easier to portray.

I am not going back into my archives to pick stuff but am going to use these threads to display the day's offerings. Excuse that each one is not a gem, but merely the recent attempts. So feel free to offer any constructive criticism.

These taken yesterday and "developed" today. Both within 2 miles from home.

StopRiverMilkWeed2172b.jpg

CausewaySt2206a.jpg

·
Time Traveler
1,624 Posts
I guess cutting my photo eye tooth on B&W, I see more shapes and proportions than color interplay when I look at landscapes. What I see is better translated by B&W. And thus I love the winter as the snow provides a ready made white canvas. And the feeling of bleak cold easier to portray.

I am not going back into my archives to pick stuff but am going to use these threads to display the day's offerings. Excuse that each one is not a gem, but merely the recent attempts. So feel free to offer any constructive criticism.

These taken yesterday and "developed" today. Both within 2 miles from home.
Yup, I've especially noticed Birch trees and stalks.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 41 Posts