Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time after time I hear more so called painters recommend to homeowners, that they can kill mold and mildew with bleach!! Does anyone else have to reeducate homeowners?:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Ammonium chloride is your friend! Used in hospitals (they call the product quats- as in quatenary ammonium compounds. They work really well.
 

·
P&D Trainer & Assessor
Joined
·
562 Posts
Interesting link Northwest. the industry standards in Australia AS2311 still state sodium hypochlorite as a suitable solution.

I have heard before that sodium hypocholrite is not suitable, but the article you just showed us explains it very nicely.

Thank you very much for the link.

Here in the Pacific most of the mould is in bathrooms on cement rendered walls. So the following statement from that article I think could apply here: "chlorine bleach solution IS an effective sanitizing product that kills mold on hard non porous surfaces and neutralizes indoor mold allergens that trigger allergies."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
that is for use only on non porus hard surfaces not sheet rock or wood.
This is somewhat true... but I would say that the vast majority of mold/mildew clean-up is not over bare wood, or uncoated drywall. Ammonium Chloride, imo, does seem to be more effective on sealed substrates than bleach. I have also used it on exterior bare wood, clapboards, sills, etc, with good results.
All that said, like with bacteria, most of the time you are just killing the majority of the organism, and both chemicals work pretty well for painters. I don't do true mold remediation, so I don't worry about what will kill 100% of the organism.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Ironically, we are having our kitchen gutted for new tile, cabinates counters etc. They found some mold from a pipe leak and being a roof cleaner I asked them what they use to kill it.

They cut it out just like TJ said and then sprayed non bleach detergent and ran a air scrubber machine for 48 hours. He said they never use bleach in mold remediation.

nice read
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use liquid chlorine and a mild detergent for exterior applications. Seems to take care of mildew, mold and cleans very nicely!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
This subject has been covered in great detail in previous posts, with many different viewpoints. My take on it is that we are not working in a lab, or in a situation where 100% has to be killed, and there are at least 2 chemicals that work well enough for painters to use 98% of the time. If you are getting into lots of mold, be careful, or better yet, don't, as after a certain point, remediation is necessary, and painters don't do that. At least this painter doesn't.:jester:
 

·
A Brush Above
Joined
·
4,669 Posts
Time after time I hear more so called painters recommend to homeowners, that they can kill mold and mildew with bleach!! Does anyone else have to reeducate homeowners?:eek:
I use liquid chlorine and a mild detergent for exterior applications. Seems to take care of mildew, mold and cleans very nicely!!
Wheres Waldo?

What up a.j.

keep trollin ya rocker you...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
OSHA seems to be better at writing than spore-tech imo, whereas they are at least better able to educate the general public in lay mans terms if you will, and give better specificity as to the circumstances and areas in which using sodium hypochlorite is considered ineffective. Anyone with enough understanding to make sense of the first link should probably be able to just as well understand this one from OSHA themselves, whom spore tech is banking on for building confidence in their word. http://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA-FS-3619.pdf

Keeps ya sharp if nothing else.

Homeowners, any painters or exterior house washing companies using properly diluted sodium hypochlorite or bleach and properly rinsing in preparation for painting or removal of mold, mildew or any other fungi ruining the appearance of and integrity of your home's exterior surfaces are doing the right thing. Please do not be confused by any misuse of good information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
A came across a solution by accident. I wasn't getting good results removing mold with a bleach and water mix. It was tough as hell to remove and deeply engrained in the wood surfaces.

But it seem mold really loves to be doused with water. Lots of water. Soak then let sit. Let the mold enjoy its nice water bath for about 10 minutes. While the unsuspecting mold loosens its grip relaxing in the shade chilling, sipping on the water... douse or spray with the bleach/water solution. Rolls of the brick and wood siding like butter. No scrubbing. No fuss.
 

·
Painting Contractor
Joined
·
4,066 Posts
HouseOfColor said:
OSHA seems to be better at writing than spore-tech imo, whereas they are at least better able to educate the general public in lay mans terms if you will, and give better specificity as to the circumstances and areas in which using sodium hypochlorite is considered ineffective. Anyone with enough understanding to make sense of the first link should probably be able to just as well understand this one from OSHA themselves, whom spore tech is banking on for building confidence in their word. http://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA-FS-3619.pdf

Keeps ya sharp if nothing else.

Homeowners, any painters or exterior house washing companies using properly diluted sodium hypochlorite or bleach and properly rinsing in preparation for painting or removal of mold, mildew or any other fungi ruining the appearance of and integrity of your home's exterior surfaces are doing the right thing. Please do not be confused by any misuse of good information.
Spore tech has an interest in slightly misleading the public for profit. OSHA doesn't. Seems like OSHA concurs with general experience that bleach works well for removing mildew from non porous and semi porous surfaces. I've always been amazed at how well Jomax and bleach work at removing even massive amounts of mildew. I did learn the hard way that if you are using a pump sprayer you better have really good gloves. Bleach for extended periods of time is really bad stuff on your skin!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Literally bleach/chlorine is the most dangerous product I use.
I had a supervisor that once told me his lungs were clogged with severe build up.
He said that the bleach mixture literally crystallized in his lungs and that gave him heart troubles... two years later at the age of 56 died of a heart attack. He told me it was the bleach.
I still use liquid chlorine in an injector. I use a full pofessional rain suit with hood and chlorine resperator cartridges and gloves.
It will do much much more than dry your skin. If there was a comparable less toxic cleaner that kills micro organisms I would switch. But does anything work as good or even close?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,726 Posts
I have always used javex on mold & mildew but ALWAYS explain to the HO that the problem causing the mold has to be fixed to get rid of the problem .:yes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,331 Posts
Spore tech has an interest in slightly misleading the public for profit. OSHA doesn't. Seems like OSHA concurs with general experience that bleach works well for removing mildew from non porous and semi porous surfaces. I've always been amazed at how well Jomax and bleach work at removing even massive amounts of mildew. I did learn the hard way that if you are using a pump sprayer you better have really good gloves. Bleach for extended periods of time is really bad stuff on your skin!
I also looked at the CDC [Center for Disease Control] web site, and they recommended bleach for killing mold spores. The article referenced the clean up during Katrina.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top