Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an estimate for a large block building. 40% is currently painted, the rest is bare block. We have painted a fair amount of brick and other masonry, but have not painted this amount of block before.

I like the idea of LOXON XP (2 coats over the bare block), or maybe a standard latex primer or loxon masonry primer under BM Ultra-Spec or Regal. That said, it seems like block filler is one of the most popular options for this type of application.

Any thoughts on primer and topcoat for this project and masonry in general? I don't anticipate some pinholes being an issue in this case.

Attachments

·
Monarchski
174 Posts
I have an estimate for a large block building. 40% is currently painted, the rest is bare block. We have painted a fair amount of brick and other masonry, but have not painted this amount of block before.

I like the idea of LOXON XP (2 coats over the bare block), or maybe a standard latex primer or loxon masonry primer under BM Ultra-Spec or Regal. That said, it seems like block filler is one of the most popular options for this type of application.

Any thoughts on primer and topcoat for this project and masonry in general? I don't anticipate some pinholes being an issue in this case.
BM has a good masonry primer I really like, the 609 High Build. A coat of that then a coat of U/Spec or Regal and you're golden.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
BM has a good masonry primer I really like, the 609 High Build. A coat of that then a coat of U/Spec or Regal and you're golden.
I would just add...after you clean the life out of the thing, including mold/mildew remediation. It would also be a good idea to suggest a roofing co. consultation to alleviate the areas that are obviously being regularly affected by moisture.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,924 Posts
What Monarchski said. That should go pretty quick by the looks of it. Load up the biggest sprayer you got and giver.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Block fillers are generally cheap and have hydrophilic pigments that expand and lose adhesion in the presence of moisture. Stick with an exterior masonry primer instead as suggested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts