Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Painter I refer has been using BM Super Hide Flat without contracts or estimates...clients upset....

Is this paint as bad as it seems?
Is it unreasonable for HOs to be asking contractor to redo jobs?
Any recommendations on how I can help the contractor moving forward?

Fringe of forum eligibility here - I'm a hands on realtor with a team that sells about 20-30 houses per month and I also flip houses on the side.

I've recommended a family friend as a professional painter almost exclusively for the past 4-5 years (he's been in business for 20+ years). I'm talking hundreds of clients who have asked for his info.

In the past couple of months, I've had 2 HOs tell me they're upset with the quality of work - mainly coverage and paint quality/durability. Pictures from 1 client attached...

Apparently he's using BM SUPER HIDE FLAT in nearly all areas - without providing customers work orders/estimates or contracts (they didn't know what paint would be used. Knowing the $$ they spent on their homes, I suspect they'd pay more for better paint).

Is it unreasonable for HOs to be asking him to redo jobs?
Any recommendations on how I can help this guy moving forward?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I would never allow that to fly. They should ask him to fix it, and he should fix it. It might not be the paint. If there were bad stains underneath the pics that are show a primer such as Bin should have been used.

If he does not fix it, perhaps you should confront him and tell him that it makes you look bad, and it is not not good for your business. Buyers do not want to see stains all over the house.

Edit: I did not notice the info under the pictures. Paint takes 30 days to fully dry. I put into every contract that abrasives should not be used for a least 30 days. Magic Erasers will destroy new paint and rubbing fresh white paint with dirty finger will leave a mark.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you're not in Idaho by chance are you? I think i know this painter.
Nope! Maryland. Sounds like most agree this paint shouldn’t go in a 6,300 sf luxury home though!

Don’t want to get the guy in trouble. I also found out he doesn’t do written estimates, contracts or invoices which is illegal for a licensed contractor in Maryland.

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
Nope! Maryland. Sounds like most agree this paint shouldn’t go in a 6,300 sf luxury home though!

Don’t want to get the guy in trouble. I also found out he doesn’t do written estimates, contracts or invoices which is illegal for a licensed contractor in Maryland.
Yeah, that paint should definitely not be used in a high end home. Or a low end home for that matter. Or a barn interior. At least an eggshell should be used. Flats are so 1990's.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts

Superhide Zero is a lower solids ultraspec500, its meant to be a inexpensive commercial paint ~$20/gallon. While I have certainly seen a fair amount of superhide and promar 400 in 1M+ homes... Regal, Ben, Aura is all I would ever spec.

Any recommendations on how I can help this guy moving forward?

Time to have a sit down talk with your guy or find another painter who uses quality materials and actually takes pride in their finished work.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
So what did these clients agree to before your painter started? I can’t imagine he’d start painting if he didn’t have some kind of verbal approval from the client.

Before you lay into the painter ask him what happened. Maybe these clients beat him up on price so he used cheap paint and asked to be paid in cash.

Maybe you need to find other painters to refer to clients looking for high quality work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've worked with him before too. He just asks for colors, visits site, calls back with price. They said he never asked about paint type/quality/finish, only colors. Obviously that's partly on them.

He does not provide a written quote/estimate/contract or even invoice tbh.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I've worked with him before too. He just asks for colors, visits site, calls back with price. They said he never asked about paint type/quality/finish, only colors. Obviously that's partly on them.

He does not provide a written quote/estimate/contract or even invoice tbh.

You have been referring this guy for 4 to 5 years, and he does not provide a written quote/estimate/contract or even an invoice.

He sounds like a non-professional painter, not to mention what type of paint he has been using on nice homes.

Don't take this personally, but my experience with realtors is they want painting done yesterday and as cheaply as possible, so they can get their commissions in their bank accounts.

This guy sounds like he's working under the table. At any rate, you might consider replacing him with a professional painter who is not afraid to present proper paperwork and who insists upon using good paint, not contractor grade stuff.

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
to be honest people, this kind of thing happens quite a lot in parts of this country. I still cringe when i think about the crappy paint most of the $3,000,000.00+ homes in San Diego were painted with. Isoflat. You could scrub it off the wall with a wet paper towel a month after it was applied. So much mud in it you actually HAD to add two gallons of water to a five'er. Covered like crazy and touched up and that is what mattered the most i guess. Then when the homeowners repainted they would throw a fit because they had to prime before they repainted them. Not just Socal either. A good portion of Columbus was painted with pretty crappy paint too.

Reactions: celicaxx

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Not only is he using cheap FLAT paint, it appears to me anyway, that's he's just applying ONE coat over top of a glossier paint which leaves the voids you see in the pics. He could at least apply a 2nd coat.

His work is NOT acceptable, but, without a contract stipulating what paint to use, how many coats, cost, I mean, what do they expect? It's like going to a street corner and asking some random guy to paint for you. This is a bad situation on many levels.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Typical realatard. Why would you expect anything different. This is the type under the table, blow and go work that pisses me off and it probably piss off every other painter that runs reputable businesses and pay’s their taxes.

Yes, why would you expect anything different? This pisses me off, being a legit painter in Maryland. I’ve been trying to get straight painting jobs lately to no avail. I’m not cheap enough.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,108 Posts
That is basically a ceiling paint he is using on the walls. Never use a flat on walls unless it's something like BM Regal or Aura. Which is a Matt, not flat. And yes there's a difference.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
Typical realatard. Why would you expect anything different. This is the type under the table, blow and go work that pisses me off and it probably piss off every other painter that runs reputable businesses and pay’s their taxes.

Pisses off the store people too! These are the kind of painters that represent the lowest profit and the highest maintenance. They want to pay $10 for a gallon of paint and expect perfect touch-up matches in 10 minutes 5 times a week. They SUCK! And luckily now i'm independent i can tell them where to go or refuse to give them a discount. When i worked for SW and PPG i had to kiss their asses!

Reactions: finishesbykevyn
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.