Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

BM Ultra Spec 500

42K views 50 replies 23 participants last post by  Carl 
#1 ·
Anyone out there used this product? What does it compare to in SW or older BM products? I'm looking at using the eggshell or low sheen on new smooth drywall.

I was told my cost is about $25 a gallon and I think that may be a little high.

#7 ·
Ultra Spec is a good value for that price. Good spread and coverage for not being high build. We use it on commercial, and on homes for sale. I guess I would compare it to promar200? It does seem to flash a bit between brush and roller. And it will need two FULL coats with significant color changes. Like any mid grade I guess.

I did hear at a BM event that super spec is going to be fully phased out over the next year or so. Ultra spec will be the "Gennex" replacement. It certainly is superior. We also hear that "Concepts" will be dropped (which was almost identical to ultra)

Apparently Super Hide will also be dropped, to be replaced by a new "Ultra Spec 300" And Natura will be dropped too... I guess BM is going to simplify a bit :thumbsup:

#14 ·
I last used Speedhide about 5 years ago, and thought it was really runny compared to the BM I was accustomed to. Has it been reformulated since then? I always like the idea of PPG, but was turned off by the speedhide, and also by their runny SunProof (which I'm sure has been reformulated since 2002...) I saw the thread on ManorHall, and want to give that line a try again

#15 · (Edited)
Builtmany said:
Anyone out there used this product? What does it compare to in SW or older BM products? I'm looking at using the eggshell or low sheen on new smooth drywall.

I was told my cost is about $25 a gallon and I think that may be a little high.
We use a ton both interior and exterior. Same gen x colorants as all
BM lines. Great contractor line of paint , covers, low odor and workability is good. When doing interior residential repaints where drying time is an issue much better than Pro Mar 200 drys faster covers much better and dark colors no issues.

#16 ·
Ive used quite a bit both interior and exterior. Not as self priming as Regal Select. Low-sheen US is about the same sheen as eggshell Regal Select.

Over an even, sealed surface it's great. Not so much over bare texture, patches etc., it will picture frame, even with multiple coats. Either prime or go with Regal Select.

I have yet to find a fault with the exterior version. Awesome coverage, hide, even sheen, fast dry with dark colors. I love it! Best bang-for-the-buck IMO.

#20 ·
Yeah, its really good for the price. I like most of the sheens as well. As NCpaint told me last summer, the semi is not great, but I went with it anyway on a job....and it was...not great. Kinda grainy, with more of a satin finish. Oh well, it's what you get when you use 25$ trim paint on a flip.

#27 · (Edited)
Tried posting a minute ago, so hope this isn't a double. Did a quick brush out with ultra spec low sheen in BM Peony over white primer, and over some enamel over brush on the wall. Covered really well for a first coat tester. I don't think I'm gonna prime the wall grey first, which normally would be an automatic unless using aura.

Product Pink Violet Magenta Food

Attachments

#29 ·
Tried posting a minute ago, so hope this isn't a double. Did a quick brush out with ultra spec low sheen in BM Peony over white primer, and over some enamel over brush on the wall. Covered really well for a first coat tester. I don't think I'm gonna prime the wall grey first, which normally would be an automatic unless using aura.
That's pretty good. If I remember right, that particular color has about nothing in it tint wise to help it out.

#38 ·
Now the question is:
What would you do, I try to offer my customers the best bang for their buck. I can get this BM Ultra Spec 500 for around $29. My understanding is that is a mid grade contractor line right? Not sure if its going to cover in 2 coats on a dark red or bright yellow, if is easy to apply and provides a durable finish.

On the other hand is Behr Ultra which covers any color in 2 coats over previously painted knock down with a builders flat and I can get it for around $26. I understand HD lacks of good service sometimes. But since I started buying from them I know which stores have good people. BM and SW have some stores where the guys suck big time.

The way I see it, Behr Ultra is a win win. I know is easy to apply, covers great, is a top of the line product, Most homeowners know the product very well. Believe me sometimes is hard to sell a product that the customer never heard about it.
I have tried selling Pratt and Lambert, Coronado and Devoe with no luck.

Would you risk going with a contractor grade paint? Not every customer can afford Aura. So we need to offer them something more affordable for those with a budget on mind. But why does it have to be a product that is going to take more labor. There is no point the way I see it.

What do you think?

#51 ·
Now the question is:
What would you do, I try to offer my customers the best bang for their buck. I can get this BM Ultra Spec 500 for around $29. My understanding is that is a mid grade contractor line right? Not sure if its going to cover in 2 coats on a dark red or bright yellow, if is easy to apply and provides a durable finish.

On the other hand is Behr Ultra which covers any color in 2 coats over previously painted knock down with a builders flat and I can get it for around $26. I understand HD lacks of good service sometimes. But since I started buying from them I know which stores have good people. BM and SW have some stores where the guys suck big time.

The way I see it, Behr Ultra is a win win. I know is easy to apply, covers great, is a top of the line product, Most homeowners know the product very well. Believe me sometimes is hard to sell a product that the customer never heard about it.

Would you risk going with a contractor grade paint? Not every customer can afford Aura. So we need to offer them something more affordable for those with a budget on mind. But why does it have to be a product that is going to take more labor. There is no point the way I see it.

What do you think?
How much painting have you done? Coverage depends hugely on the color, and which color you are painting over. Poorly covering yellows will cover poorly in any brand. It isn't like you can upgrade to Aura or Regal and poof, it covers! You may be able to argue that more expensive paints contain more expensive ingredients so that coverage is better and this may be completely true, but this difference is barely noticeable. The only exception to this is Aura, but this doesn't include base 1 colors, only those reds and other deep colors. Also, Behr doesn't cover any color in two coats just because their marketing says this. I don't really buy into the argument that people can't afford Aura either. If they can pay for the labor to hire a painter, chances are good that they can afford the extra $20 or $30 per gallon to pay for the good paint. They just think that paint is paint and that any old brand will do. I think the time is coming where at least with BM, the mid grade line is almost as good as the top lines of paint so it's going to be hard to sell people on Aura because we the painters may not actually believe anymore that putting the Aura on the walls is actually what is required for a long lasting paintjob.

#39 ·
Use what you are comfortable with. I like Ultraspec (at 19-26 depending on sheen. NC's BM prices are within a $ of mine, 1500 miles away) and I have yet to have it not cover in 2 in standard colors, no yellow, for instance.

It is also pretty tough when cured.

Even if I loved Behr Ultra, HD does not have the range of quality sundries I want.

#40 ·
DK, I would put Ultra Spec as a premium contractor line. Also, if you absolutely had to compare it to a Behr line, I'd say its closest to the one you like. Depending on colors, yes, different paints will perform better in different products. That's just the properties of the colorants. You will never ever make a color exact in a cross reference match. Close sure, exact never.

Depending on your area, the products you mentioned P&L, Devoe and Coronado are just not big names. So it makes sense that it would be a hard sell.

Use what works best for you. The complaints I hear about Behr is the workability. Most professionals find it difficult to use, so yes it does affect their labor costs in the end. I also don't know how you get that $26 price for ultra, most around here pay close to $40. For that price point you could get Regal which can't be compared because its far superior.

I don't want this to become a pricing thread, because honestly, they're pointless. Markets are different everywhere, its interesting to see the differences, but pointless to argue about because of the variables.

#41 ·
DK Remodeling said:
Now the question is:

What do you think?
I'm with ya on providing value. I will try to sell the expensive stuff when it seems appropriate, but I'm loving valspar ultra lately. Very good mid grade paint. Realtors and contractors love the lower cost. Lowes can be a real PITA though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.