Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this elsewhere; not many hits. I'm reposting, here:

Just looking for thoughts/opinions on primer for polyethylene sheds. This customer wants his shed painted (even though it's going to void the warranty), and I'm looking for a primer and paint combo that will work best on what he wants to get painted...wait for it...the ROOF!

He wants to get the doors and shutters painted, which would be a simple, non-head scratching task, but he also wants the roof painted. That threw me because...what paint is going to last on a roof!?? I mean, it's all poly, so I guess I can just use the same stuff all around - no siding, though, just the aforementioned.

My initial thoughts on a primer/paint combo:
Krylon Colormaxx Primer
SW Emerald Urethane

I'm sure I could use ANY bonding primer, but Krylon is specifically formulated to adhere to plastics.
I'm just not sure the SW will hold up on a roof, though... There's the PPG Permanizer I could possibly use...or some other 100% acrylic...

EDIT FROM PREVIOUS POST:
Someone suggested X-I-M, but it's not recommended for polyethylene. To be fair, though, I was saying "resin" on the previous post because I thought it didn't matter. I read the product specs a bit closer and saw that the very thing I'm tryng to paint is like the ONLY thing X-I-M is not recommended for...!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Good thing you did your homework!

I’d personally steer clear of painting polyethylene after trying it this past summer and having the primers and top coats blister every time they got wet.

On another note, 3M 094 Tape primer “might” work as a tie coat being it contains a silane coupling agent and chlorinated polyolefin which bonds to polyethylene plus it contains an acrylic polymer which will then bond with acrylic top coats. Never tried it under paint though but have used it as an adhesion promoting tie coat to bond PSA backed veneer and RTF to plastic substrates.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good thing you did your homework!

I’d personally steer clear of painting polyethylene after trying it this past summer and having the primers and top coats blister every time they got wet.

On another note, 3M 094 Tape primer “might” work as a tie coat being it contains a silane coupling agent and chlorinated polyolefin which bonds to polyethylene plus it contains an acrylic polymer which will then bond with acrylic top coats. Never tried it under paint though but have used it as an adhesion promoting tie coat to bond PSA backed veneer and RTF to plastic substrates.
Thanks!
Yeah, my research has taken me to automotive finishes, and they use adhesion promoters on cars - all sprayed, of course. It seems it can be used as a primer, but it looks like I would be looking for the additive version?? So, I would put on a coat or two of my primer of choice, then add the adhesion promoter to my paint before applying it to the substrate.

·
Monarchski
358 Posts
Thanks!
Yeah, my research has taken me to automotive finishes, and they use adhesion promoters on cars - all sprayed, of course. It seems it can be used as a primer, but it looks like I would be looking for the additive version?? So, I would put on a coat or two of my primer of choice, then add the adhesion promoter to my paint before applying it to the substrate.
Are you painting these outside or in an enclosed area?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like KILZ ADHESION is going to be the choice. The TDS lists architectural plastics first on the list of "Recommended Uses", and ployethylene IS an architectural plastic..

Just wanted to put this in here in case anyone else may need this information someday.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It looks like KILZ ADHESION is going to be the choice. The TDS lists architectural plastics first on the list of "Recommended Uses", and ployethylene IS an architectural plastic..

Just wanted to put this in here in case anyone else may need this information someday.
Well, we know the TDS says it may possibly be able to do it. We don't know if it's actually going to stick and stick long term. But hey, I don't think you'll do any better or worse with anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts