Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the reps at my local Duluxe store told me that the Breakthough was getting re-formulated again to add back some of the VOC's I believe. Is that what the V52 is? It now promotes it as a cabinet paint again. This is very interesting as this is also an exterior product. If this is true, has anyone used the new formula. Would this be good to brush and roll on exterior doors? Cabinets?

·
Super Moderator
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? I need answers! Or is this still the same old stuff.? NEver used it personally, but I have access to it unlike alot of other products.

·
Super Moderator
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought there was only a v50 (high voc) and v51 (low VOC) never knew there's a v52 as well.
On the website they are promoting it as new. A few months back I was speaking with the Rep from Dulux Paints and he was talking about this. I believe it's a cross between the V50 and the V51? I'm going to make a call today..Still haven't seen the Command on shelves here yet.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
On the website they are promoting it as new. A few months back I was speaking with the Rep from Dulux Paints and he was talking about this. I believe it's a cross between the V50 and the V51? I'm going to make a call today..Still haven't seen the Command on shelves here yet.
Oh that would be awesome if it were rated for cabinets like the v50 with just a little more open time. Let us know what you find out.

·
Super Moderator
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh that would be awesome if it were rated for cabinets like the v50 with just a little more open time. Let us know what you find out.
So..ya, I called Dulux today, and sure enough word on the street is that the V52 is a totally re-formulated product from the others. Rated for cabinets, floors etc. Recoat in 1 hour. This is interesting. Will have to try some out. Hope it's not a unicorn!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I used the V50 on a Front Door back in 17? 18? maybe,

It was for a very picky customer who drove me half insane,but I never heard from her again after the Front Door

Ive used it before over a problem paint on a dfferent front door and never heard from that customer again also

I used it prior to that on several cabinet projects until I heard from my KM Paint Rep that PPG was saying not to use for Cabinets as it didnt hold up to skin oil

I loved the stuff before that,for Cabinets.it dried so fast,almost like Laquer,but so pricey

·
Super Moderator
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used the V50 on a Front Door back in 17? 18? maybe,

It was for a very picky customer who drove me half insane,but I never heard from her again after the Front Door

Ive used it before over a problem paint on a dfferent front door and never heard from that customer again also

I used it prior to that on several cabinet projects until I heard from my KM Paint Rep that PPG was saying not to use for Cabinets as it didnt hold up to skin oil

I loved the stuff before that,for Cabinets.it dried so fast,almost like Laquer,but so pricey
Your getting your products mixed up. The original v50 is the good stuff rated for cabinets. The v51 was the low voc stuff that was then NOT rated for cabs. The now new V52 is reformulated again to be a cabinet paint. Just to clarify.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your getting your products mixed up. The original v50 is the good stuff rated for cabinets. The v51 was the low voc stuff that was then NOT rated for cabs. The now new V52 is reformulated again to be a cabinet paint. Just to clarify.
This is correct. We released it about 2 months ago to fix the hand oil problem. So far good results

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Whelp I just finished a my first cabinet job with the new v52 satin. The frames were brushed and rolled and the doors were spraying over a coat of bin.

I'd say that Breakthrough had a Breakthrough with the new v52. It was less watery than both the v50 and v51. Brushing and rolling was nice. If you've ever had the experience of working with the v50 you'd know how horrible it is to brush and roll. It dries fast but not so fast that it sets up and pulls like the v50. I rolled it with a 3/8 allpro microfiber mini roller and tipped it off with a corona Vegas brush. It layed down great, way better than both the v50 and 51. I'd say the hide was better too but still nothing to write home about.

Spraying it was a dream. I thinned 5% with water, shot it with a 308 tip through my graco ProFinish II on regular airless mode at around 1800psi. It dried flawless and it felt nicer than the v50 almost softer feeling, not that the paint felt soft like I'd leave finger prints it felt plenty hard more like a silky feel. After spraying them the first coat with a 3 hour dry time I stacked them and they didn't stick just like the v50.

Anyway, here's some pics I tried to get a good close up of the finish but it's hard to capture on a camera.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts