Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever tried brushing FPoE Hollandlac Hi Gloss? Their application instructions don't even mention spraying:

http://www.finepaintsofeurope.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=39#application

One client wants their front door and the other has a paint grade vanity.

So thinking about brushing after using FPoE's putty and primer. Anyone had a good experience doing this?

I don't have an HVLP or anything cool like an Kremlin Airmix. Wonder how it would spray with airless and FFT410?

Thank You.

·
Painting Contractor
4,066 Posts
Airless would eat a lot of paint in the hose etc. it brushes great. No need for spray really. Flows out amazing by brush.
Long recoat time.

Sent from my blah blah blah

·
Registered
389 Posts
I actually think it brushes horribly
It dries fast ( can't dip back in to painted surface ). Also it likes to sag
I would think and lube as much as you can

Sanding and dusting between coats in critical
Also ox n hair for bristle is my preference

·
Registered
325 Posts
You can spray or brush, they do not recommend rolling it. As roamer says thin coats are best.

Sent from my D5503 using PaintTalk.com mobile app

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I use the brilliant regularly. One of my clients has it on the walls and trim throughout most of their house. We brush it all the time. It has a learning curve so if you are not familiar do yourself a favor an get a quart to play around with in the shop.
Use FPoE thinner and add more as needed through the day. Use FPOE oil primer(they have tint/deep bases too). Thin coats and I like ??08 tip for spray with airless for trim. Sand, vac and tack every coat. Sand primer with 180 and 240/320 between finishes. Usually takes 2 full days to be able sand each finish coat. I like Corona chinex brushes. I have rolled it but it's not it's best appearance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have sprayed FPoE with Capspray 115 HVLP and #3 tip / needle set.

Found it worked well either way thinned with the FPoE thinner or XIM solvent based extender.
Built thin coats as others have mentioned, just be ready to have this be a longer term project than you thought due to sand, recoat times, etc..
Takes a lengthy time to "cure" so be carefully when attempting to handle too soon like I did - you get too do it over again for some more practice!

·
Painting Contractor
4,066 Posts
Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the FPoE and the Advance high gloss? I'm guessing they're pretty similar, and the Advance is light years easier to use. The FPoE probably has a higher build and fuller body to it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the FPoE and the Advance high gloss? I'm guessing they're pretty similar, and the Advance is light years easier to use. The FPoE probably has a higher build and fuller body to it.
Yes.
Advance HG
Pros-
- Easier to apply (still likes to run)
- better return to service
- clean up
- price
- less yellowing in low light areas
- odor
- touch up

Con-
- adhesion was just okay
- coverage was not as good as FpoE (with white and dark green)
- inferior leveling to oil (still good)
- unproven for exterior yet (for me at least)

FpoE Brilliant
Pros
- leveling
- sheen
- coverage

Cons
- odor
- yellowing
- fade, chaulk (exterior)
- touch up (it doesn't)
- return to service

My conclusion is, I'd rather work with Advance but look at the Brilliant.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
How do you like Grand Entrance? I have not used it yet. I've read that Advance HG is rated for it but I was a little unsure of it. How long have you had exterior projects done with it? My Ben Moore rep mentioned something about the manufacturer relabeling all Advance products for exterior at some point. Not sure if he meant actually relabel or it will be reformulated.

·
Registered
172 Posts
PRC said:
How do you like Grand Entrance? I have not used it yet. I've read that Advance HG is rated for it but I was a little unsure of it. How long have you had exterior projects done with it? My Ben Moore rep mentioned something about the manufacturer relabeling all Advance products for exterior at some point. Not sure if he meant actually relabel or it will be reformulated.
I like like Grand Entrance a lot and here's a door I painted with it

Attachments

·
Painting Contractor
4,066 Posts

I like the GE. It covers well and both brushes and sprays well. We also recently did an entry door with mohair blend roller and it looked sprayed.
I haven't done any Advance outside. I was just relating what the BM store owner said about it being ok for exterior.
One problem with GE high gloss is spraying a 2nd coat you need to kill the surface tension by light sanding first. The first two doors in black I did the 2nd coat crawled as if painting over silicone. My last high gloss door I just cross hatch done coat over tinted primer and it looked great.

·
Painting Contractor
4,066 Posts
what brushes are best I used mostly white china(eg. purdy Adjutant for other alkyds) is some OX better?THX

It likes a stiffer brush. The Ox's are nice but can be a little soft. To be honest it's been quite a while since I've used it but I think I was mostly using Purdy white china bristle then. I never liked the brushes FPoE sells.
I would thin with either their thinner or Naptha.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Has anyone used FPOE eco? Thinking about trying one out on a door that is in an area that I could never do a slow dry oil like hollandlac.

We have some wood shutters to do as well many of which will have to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It likes a stiffer brush. The Ox's are nice but can be a little soft. To be honest it's been quite a while since I've used it but I think I was mostly using Purdy white china bristle then. I never liked the brushes FPoE sells.
I would thin with either their thinner or Naptha.
I do not like the Omega brushes either. Try corona chinex they do a good job.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Has anyone used FPOE eco? Thinking about trying one out on a door that is in an area that I could never do a slow dry oil like hollandlac.

We have some wood shutters to do as well many of which will have to be rebuilt.
I have not used it yet. But it's also on my list to try out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to this site. Tomorrow I will be spraying Eco brilliant black (trim and entry door, all int.) I've used FPOE before, with great results, but never sprayed it. I'll be using a turbine hvlp. Any tips? aside from the obvious. My prep is perfect. I need application tips please.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts