Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

My business has been going steady with residential repaints and this is a large portion of my current market. Although I am looking to expand and begin getting into to new build painting. What is the best way to get in with builders? Should I prepare a proposal ? is there any thing I should know before moving into the new build painting scene? Any information would be greatly appreciated, just looking to learn some new things. Thanks

·
Banned
878 Posts
Be prepared to work as fast as you can. New residential likes to schedule 2 days for primer and finish, and then 3 more days once the trim is installed, to second coat everything and do doors/trim.

And don't count on trim/doors being available in advance to spray or whatever. I've never seen a GC that organized.

·
Super Moderator
6,661 Posts
I would add, be prepared to be buying your groceries on your credit card. These guys love to hang on to their money. Working so hard you think you're gonna die. Not being able to sleep at night because you're thinking of everything you've gotta get done the next day. The list goes on and on.

If you do happen to find a GC who's good to work with, hang on to them and keep them very happy. I've got exactly one of those who I've now worked with for years. Even he walks in on day two saying "You making a career out of this one?" "Oh, you're still here!" "This your retirement job or what?" Thankfully I know him well enough I can either ignore him or just tell him to shut up.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Depends on what type of new construction? If you are doing a one off custom spec home, then sure, the money would be pretty good, still have to hussle though. More custom finishes, stains, etc. Now, if its tract business, man leave that to the pro's. Literally the pro's, as in companies that do only tract. It's about beating your guys into submission to get homes done fast and good, lots of touch-ups.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,915 Posts
Know your numbers. Pricing is always the hardest part. Best thing to do is just call a few GC's and introduce yourself. Hopefully you have staff. There always seems to be an unattainable deadline ..

·
Monarchski
172 Posts
Hey everyone,

My business has been going steady with residential repaints and this is a large portion of my current market. Although I am looking to expand and begin getting into to new build painting. What is the best way to get in with builders? Should I prepare a proposal ? is there any thing I should know before moving into the new build painting scene? Any information would be greatly appreciated, just looking to learn some new things. Thanks
Kind of depends on what part of the country you're in. In Texas a lot of the better painters have moved into the Res Repaint business due to low pricing from Home Builders. There's so much more work involved in a custom home from when I used to paint them due to bad wood, poor scheduling and workmanship etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not to pile on to everyone saying the same thing....but in general new res is terrible business. As far as what you need to do to "get in with builders".... just price the job so low that you can barely pay for the cheapest paint SW can sell you, then get rid of anyone you have to pay to help you and work alone, then value your own time at $5-$7/hr. I'm really not exaggerating... it's horrific business (with few exceptions). I just built my own house.. told the small custom home builder I wanted to have my guys do our painting. When I did the takeoff, I figured my paint job (to bid tightly) at around 24,000. The builder told me his regular painter was at 18,000. I got him to compromise at 20,000. I lost money, and it was hell. We're a production company that slams out large new construction commercial on a regular basis and do okay...not great, but okay (that's another tight business). In our 2nd location, we do some high end custom new res.... 8-20 million dollar houses on the ocean. Our paint jobs for interior and exterior on those jobs range from 70k-130k. They want those places to be PERFECT. As much as 70k+ sounds like a lot of money....it's not when the houses are that big and the expectations are so high. If you get really good at it, and as WildBill said you find a few small builders who do really good custom work and don't get their jobs by trying to be the low GC bid...as in they want their subs to make money... you can do okay with it. The good ones are hard to find. You're literally looking for a GOOD PERSON, not just a quality builder.
Res repaint is better business.
Oh..last note... the tract home builders are pure volume. If you want to go after that business you have to find Meth addicts. Find some hardcore meth addicts that paint, you can get by. I'm joking...but I'm also not.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Not to pile on to everyone saying the same thing....but in general new res is terrible business. As far as what you need to do to "get in with builders".... just price the job so low that you can barely pay for the cheapest paint SW can sell you, then get rid of anyone you have to pay to help you and work alone, then value your own time at $5-$7/hr. I'm really not exaggerating... it's horrific business (with few exceptions). I just built my own house.. told the small custom home builder I wanted to have my guys do our painting. When I did the takeoff, I figured my paint job (to bid tightly) at around 24,000. The builder told me his regular painter was at 18,000. I got him to compromise at 20,000. I lost money, and it was hell. We're a production company that slams out large new construction commercial on a regular basis and do okay...not great, but okay (that's another tight business). In our 2nd location, we do some high end custom new res.... 8-20 million dollar houses on the ocean. Our paint jobs for interior and exterior on those jobs range from 70k-130k. They want those places to be PERFECT. As much as 70k+ sounds like a lot of money....it's not when the houses are that big and the expectations are so high. If you get really good at it, and as WildBill said you find a few small builders who do really good custom work and don't get their jobs by trying to be the low GC bid...as in they want their subs to make money... you can do okay with it. The good ones are hard to find. You're literally looking for a GOOD PERSON, not just a quality builder.
Oh..last note... the tract home builders are pure volume. If you want to go after that business you have to find Meth addicts. Find some hardcore meth addicts that paint, you can get by. I'm joking...but I'm also not.
Is $8-$20 million just the construction cost, or does that take into account the land values as well?

If the first assumption is correct, your #’s @ $70k-
$130K seem pretty lean, weighing in at ~ 1% of the construction cost.

You could probably up the ante considerably if you were to deal with either architects or designers on new builds, rather than dealing with builders.

·
Banned
3 Posts
I understand what you're talking about, man. But, still, I wouldn't start building a house on my own.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts