Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Do you steal competitors business cards

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we have been recently hearing about the business card bandit. So it brought up a poll within me. Do you steal your competitors business cards? Then replace them with yours? For those that do, why are you so concerned about it? If you think about it, the cards are usually at the paint stores or a bulletin board at your local dinner. What would be the value of those type of referrals? I have gotten very few jobs from that type of advertising. Mostly the jobs were table scraps. However I did get one great one that I am currently working on. But that was handed out specifically from the manager. Telling the client that I was the only one fit for that job.

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
I try to keep an eye on guys putting cards up at my shop. I've never caught anyone removing someone else's cards. I have personally removed particular companies cards. If their company isn't on the up and up, and I know that for a fact, or if i recieve multiple complaints, the cards go in the circular file.

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
NC, do you remove them if their not purchasing your material?
Nope. Ill take them down if a h.o complains about them, ( more than once ) . Everyone's allowed a bad job here and there, most of the time, especially if I know the contractor ill give them the benefit of the doubt. If its theft, cash and run types, cards are gone. If the card has been there for a year, and I've never seen them in that time, cards gone.

I wont remove something because they buy from the competition.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
N8er had some that were magnetized. They got ripped off. Natter had them gps encoded as a lead tracking strategy but in this case he caught him a thief. I guess he called the dude and gave him a good stern talkin to.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I don't take other cards down, but if I'm looking for a spot and a company has cards in multipal places on the board, then I will move them to make room for mine.

As for people taking mine, it happens. It just happened at my local hardware store. I go there for alot of my personal needs, but I don't buy their paint. I put three cards up, and the next day I went in and they were gone. I'm pretty sure it was the owner that did it.

He has other guys cards up that buy his paint (BM).

I don't take others cards because I feel it is bad karma.

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
I don't take other cards down, but if I'm looking for a spot and a company has cards in multipal places on the board, then I will move them to make room for mine.

As for people taking mine, it happens. It just happened at my local hardware store. I go there for alot of my personal needs, but I don't buy their paint. I put three cards up, and the next day I went in and they were gone. I'm pretty sure it was the owner that did it.

He has other guys cards up that buy his paint (BM).

I don't take others cards because I feel it is bad karma.
I wouldn't take them down that fast. If I didn't see you for a year, and your cards are still there...they's a comin down. I get guys that just do it like spam.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Nope. Ill take them down if a h.o complains about them, ( more than once ) . Everyone's allowed a bad job here and there, most of the time, especially if I know the contractor ill give them the benefit of the doubt. If its theft, cash and run types, cards are gone. If the card has been there for a year, and I've never seen them in that time, cards gone.

I wont remove something because they buy from the competition.
How about if they don't have a 40 foot ladder?:whistling2:

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
LOL gabe you are too funny. Man I could go on that with that story, because I know more about what went on.. but to save a TON of drama.. btw I better never get called first thing in the morning by a sociopath EVER again.. There is more juicy details but not to drag a bunch of people into it I will just take the high road. Obviously that person came on and confessed to something I never put a name on.. hmm.. who would do such a thing? Someone who was dead certain the world knew it was HIM.. yet no names were given. Those actions speak volumes folks.

No I don't take cards, in fact there is enough work to go around. Me and a couple other guys refer each other and help one another out when each of us need some help. No huge crews, no huge egos.. just guys who want to put out the best product.

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crazy! You never posted that spectrumptg was the one that stole your cards. So he must be the one.
I wish he or his fellow staff would explain why he would steal cards. I'm simply amazed that someone would. And am very curious why.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I wish he would have given his name out freely, yes that is his company name.. funny I looked for his website but one of his "staff" 2 or 3 guys who help him out.. must have unplugged it this morning. you know how "staff" gets.. sometimes they are clumbsy.. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I think you could make a movie "The Paint Gangs of KC" the way he talked about the staff and the Owner It could get interesting. Plus he said you were working in there neighborhood (Turf) and would like to meet you. Of course the mods deleted all that stuff but it was interesting.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Jacob, my brother lives in Ok, Weatherford. I'm giving him the word to take your cards.
There has already been an incident here with roofers. One took all the others and threw them over the parking lot at the local lumber/paint store. Now they only keep one of each out on the rack and hand out to customers from behind the counter if a homeowner asks. He will need to come up with a sneak attack to get behind the counter :jester:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts