Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

We are a 2 person partnership business. My partner takes care of the operations and I am responsible from business development.

We have been in business for only over a year and so far we mostly got customers through advertising and leads. Last summer and this summer we did good but where we live November to Mid April painting business is very low due to weather so we need to get customers through different channels for these months and increase our referral base for business growth.

I came up with a list of businesses to contact that can generate us revenue during low seasons and also help us grow. Please let me know that you think;

- Realtors
- Restaurants
- Hotels / Motels
- Property Management Companies (Long- term b2b for rental properties)
- Schools
- Interior Designers

This is my initial list to start and I would appreciate if you can suggest other ideas or if you had experience working with these type of businesses in the past.

Thank you very much in advance.

Sergio.

·
Administrator
19,660 Posts
Unless you have year around schools, a painter's off season is going to be when school is (normally) in session. And around here, most mid-sized to larger districts have their own painters. Focus those enquiries on smaller, independent districts.

Not everyone has had the same success working with realtors as we have but it was always a lucrative partnership for us. But that's what it should be - a partnership where you help them and their clients get any needed painting done ASAP. DO NOT get involved with any realtor wanting any kind of kick back (strictly against the law out here in Oregon).

And just a thought, hopefully you were engaged starting last April in trying to line up interior work for fall through spring. Starting to do so now is pretty late to the game.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Unless you have year around schools, a painter's off season is going to be when school is (normally) in session. And around here, most mid-sized to larger districts have their own painters. Focus those enquiries on smaller, independent districts.

Not everyone has had the same success working with realtors as we have but it was always a lucrative partnership for us. But that's what it should be - a partnership where you help them and their clients get any needed painting done ASAP. DO NOT get involved with any realtor wanting any kind of kick back (strictly against the law out here in Oregon).

And just a thought, hopefully you were engaged starting last April in trying to line up interior work for fall through spring. Starting to do so now is pretty late to the game.
Don't mean to hijack the thread but can you guys actually get people to wait that long for interior painting?

·
Administrator
19,660 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread but can you guys actually get people to wait that long for interior painting?
I only did interior work the past ten years or so and that meant my summers were always busy, sometimes with people frustrated that most outfits were not even interested in bidding interior work during the summer. So yes, many will not want to wait that long. But even then I usually had to schedule out at least a few months because my schedule stayed pretty full all year long (it was a beautiful thing not having to worry about the weather).

But back when I also did exterior work, it was pretty common to be giving people quotes for jobs that wouldn't be scheduled to start until mid to late fall. Most (but certainly not all) understood that the nice weather days (June-October, depending) were for trying to get those exterior jobs done. If the weather took a turn and I thought I could slip in an interior job, I would contact people on the list and ask if they wanted me to do the job sooner - some accepted, others didn't.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I'd pass on the hotels and restaurants, they're notoriously cheap, and focus your energy on the rest of the list.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
There’s some pretty good money to be made targeting not the establishment owners within the hospitality industry, but the designers who service the industry, at least before the COVID, and more so in the greater metropolitan areas and/or travel destinations.

In order to be successful within the hospitality market when targeting designers and not the establishment owners, it requires being able to provide a broader range of services than just straightforward painting, including but not limited to faux, decorative plaster, wall treatments, and wood finishing.

The hours are often brutal as are the deadlines, especially with all the trades working on top of one another in order to make the opening dates. Once in with a designer, it often requires traveling, sometimes to far off destinations for extended periods.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,123 Posts
Follow the designers. They know where the money is. New Construction or commercial gigs used to get me through the winters. However, now I find there is always a Christmas rush and then I just want to go South and surf for all of January and Febuary..Maybe not this year..ugg

·
Banned
129 Posts
Kev, If you ever make it out to so cal give me a shout! We’ll go for a surf!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He might be too busy Moderating me here.
I feel only surfing he will do from now On is on the net, on PTalk.

He was PROMOTED...don't you know ...lol

·
Banned
129 Posts

OMG, that post looks and sounds so serious and dry without the smilies.
But I'm, not going to put them there.
USE YOU IMAGINATION.
I'm scared to post them.

·
Banned
129 Posts
OK, THAT'S fine.
I think I AM shadow banned here.
I can not view new posts or threads posted here, just the old stuff.

That's fine, Ban me 100%. Have no sense of humor.
Be stiff like an inside of the funeral casket.
You shall see inside of it soon anyhow.

·
Banned
129 Posts
Whoever designed this Forum software -- should be fired and sued.

SW's sheens suck too? What a surprise.
PACman,
I sincerely hope that you are doing OK.
I understand that Sh-W screw you up very badly.
That's one of the reason I don't give them my business.

You were contributing here so much knowledge.
I know resentment to come back might be too strong. NOTHING wrong with that.

Keep your focus.
Just to let you know that some of us HERE remember and appreciate you, and your knowledge you shared with us.
I don't know, in real life you might be a terrible person, but here you were fun to have around and always willing to answer and help others.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ,...PACman.

I REALLY HOPE THAT YOU ARE DOING OK.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,123 Posts

You seriously need another hobby man. This one is definitely not for you.. And don't worry, I won't be spending much more time on you..

·
Banned
129 Posts
You seriously need another hobby man. This one is definitely not for you.. And don't worry, I won't be spending much more time on you..
Come on, have a little bit of sense of humor.
It was said as a joke. I'm surprised that you didn't got that...
Do I have to always add a smiley face to make it obvious...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for all the answers, i really appreciate the suggestions and sharing your experience.

Follow the designers. They know where the money is. New Construction or commercial gigs used to get me through the winters. However, now I find there is always a Christmas rush and then I just want to go South and surf for all of January and Febuary..Maybe not this year..ugg
Thank you kevyn. When you say designers, i believe you are referring to interior designers right ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Segrio -
From what I've seen and what other contractors have told me is that trying to get leads for painting in the winter is a complete waste of time.
You may get a job here or there, but you will have to work REALLY REALLY hard for it.
Have you considered doing another service in the winter? Where is your business located?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts