Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a job coming up to build and paint a giant base cabinet for a customer . She was also wanting the old school metal sink base painted the same color .
At first I was going to use Advance on both but with two Labradors that are hard to keep out of the way I thought twice about using Advance and using Cabinet Coat . The metal sink base is in good shape and will only need a scuff sand and cleaning .What do yall think about the Cabinet Coat on a metal substrate . The color she chose is BM Iced Marble 1578 ( If that is factor ) thanks in advance .

·
Registered
943 Posts
I haven't used enough CC to comment from my experience, but I've seen many comments here that it mars easily. Maybe Breakthrough or Scuff-X? (Neither of which take nearly as long as Advance to set up).

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,574 Posts
Definitely going to prime the base I have to build but you think the metal one needs a prime coat . There isn't any chipping os bare spot .
Depends what is on it now..? If bare metal, or an oil paint of sorts then yes. If just an old latex then probably not..But if your priming everything else then why wouldn't you?

·
Banned
145 Posts
I used Cabinet Coat on four different projects and will not use it ever again.
Everything about that paint is great, except marring. All projects were off white colors, so no blaming on tint in dark colors.
Good for nothing paint.
It looks nice, but that's about it.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I used Cabinet Coat on four different projects and will not use it ever again.
Everything about that paint is great, except marring. All projects were off white colors, so no blaming on tint in dark colors.
Good for nothing paint.
It looks nice, but that's about it.
Marring is such a non issue my goodness. Practically all paint grade products have some marring. Never heard anyone complain about proclassic acrylic marring even though it's not any different than CC. Emerald urethane is soft like a warm stick of butter in dark colors while CC will get nice and hard no blocking.
If your expecting durability and performance of a 2k urethane or conversion varnish from a single component paint grade material then your surely down the wrong path.

·
Registered
residential painter
3 Posts
Cabinet coat is notorious for marring. Stopped using it quite some time ago for that reason alone. As someone stated marring is a non issue, I strongly disagree. With the right light, nature or artificial, on a cabinet door, the amount of marring can look like an air traffic controllers flight pattern. I believe this can be resolved if and when BM will start tinting CC with gennex tints. As we all know these new tints cure and dry hard rather quickly as compared to the glycol based tints used currently for CC. My usual go to product for cabinetry has been Waterborne Satin Impervo for about three years now. Could not be more pleased with it. Luckily I have not needed darker colors since Waterborne Impervo only has a #1 and #2 base. Never understood the lack of deeper bases in this line. But unfortunately BM has decided to drop this product line, maybe for lack of sales, which would be on themselves for really never properly marketing it. Like myself, many contractors, according to my suppliers, are upset at this decision. It truly is a great trim paint and works very well for cabinetry. But now I'm left searching for a new go to cabinet paint. Ugh. I'm good with Scuff X as a trim paint but not for cabinetry with the obviously stated reasons discussed on this forum in the past. Oh well the search is on.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Cabinet coat is notorious for marring. Stopped using it quite some time ago for that reason alone. As someone stated marring is a non issue, I strongly disagree. With the right light, nature or artificial, on a cabinet door, the amount of marring can look like an air traffic controllers flight pattern. I believe this can be resolved if and when BM will start tinting CC with gennex tints. As we all know these new tints cure and dry hard rather quickly as compared to the glycol based tints used currently for CC. My usual go to product for cabinetry has been Waterborne Satin Impervo for about three years now. Could not be more pleased with it. Luckily I have not needed darker colors since Waterborne Impervo only has a #1 and #2 base. Never understood the lack of deeper bases in this line. But unfortunately BM has decided to drop this product line, maybe for lack of sales, which would be on themselves for really never properly marketing it. Like myself, many contractors, according to my suppliers, are upset at this decision. It truly is a great trim paint and works very well for cabinetry. But now I'm left searching for a new go to cabinet paint. Ugh. I'm good with Scuff X as a trim paint but not for cabinetry with the obviously stated reasons discussed on this forum in the past. Oh well the search is on.
I say its a non issue because practically all latex paints have some marring even scuffx will mar. CC in gennex tints will be avilable later next month

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I say its a non issue because practically all latex paints have some marring even scuffx will mar. CC in gennex tints will be avilable later next month
When I first discovered Cabinet coat a few years ago, and discovered the marring problem, I did several comparisons with other paints, and CC was WAY worse.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
When I first discovered Cabinet coat a few years ago, and discovered the marring problem, I did several comparisons with other paints, and CC was WAY worse.
and yet nearly 700 amazon reviews and not a single one mentions marring being an issue. Not saying it doesnt have marring but that its a non issue for 99% of places where you would actually use it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree with most here about Cabinet Coat marring. I had customers complain to me and I personally saw it when I checked it out. The main issue was finger nail marks around the knobs when they were grasping the knob. Having used other cabinet quality products, I have not seen it happen so easily. This is when using it on cabinets, too. The finish is very smooth, so when the light catches it, the marks show up. Yes, all products can mar, but CC seems to do it easier than the others. It is the only product I have used on cabinets that I got that type of feedback on. It is probably great brushed or even sprayed on trim work though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts