Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,Everyone. I painted an entire kitchen cabinets in September, they were a maple finish, I sprayed them an off white, well its late December and the panels are shrinking & are showing the old finish. i used the 1k M,L Campbell arroyo it came out fine, I'm in the northeast i know the heat caused it. But i washed them with Dawn, I didn't do a moisture Test prior to painting. You think the washing them with dawn caused to much moisture ? But a lot of panels move in the winter on doors etc. then swell back up in the summer.
Thanks for any info

· Registered
1,623 Posts
Being my company primarily finished interior wood packages including flooring, we’d always include a liability waiver in the contracts pertaining to wood expansion & contraction. We’d also prescribe acceptable humidity ranges written into the contracts and conducted due diligence by insuring moisture contents were in equilibrium with the environment by taking, recording, and retaining moisture content readings and also took humidity readings. When homes didn’t have central humification/dehumidification, we’d advise the clients to hire an HVAC technician to asses and install an add-on unit to the HVAC system.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Being my company primarily finished interior wood packages including flooring, we’d always include a liability waiver in the contracts pertaining to wood expansion & contraction. We’d also prescribe acceptable humidity ranges written into the contracts and conducted due diligence by insuring moisture contents were in equilibrium with the environment by taking, recording, and retaining moisture content readings and also took humidity readings. When homes didn’t have central humification/dehumidification, we’d advise the clients to hire an HVAC technician to asses and install an add-on unit to the HVAC system.
Thanks for the info, I brought the doors back to my shop to wash & paint. it was in September, not sure if heat was needed. My supplier recommended hydrometer, i should look into a moisture reading tool,

· Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,410 Posts
Having regulated humidity and temperature in your shop is also important. I have both a humidifier and dehumidifier in my spray booth, as well as a thermometer with humidity reading..I wash all my doors with dawn and tspe.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Having regulated humidity and temperature in your shop is also important. I have both a humidifier and dehumidifier in my spray booth, as well as a thermometer with humidity reading..I wash all my doors with dawn and tspe.
Thanks for the info, I'm just starting to do more kitchen cabinets, & should look into that equipment

· Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,342 Posts
Just a thought - are you sure the panels are shrinking and not just shifting in their frames a bit? I have seen the panels on some cabinets doors move sideways as much as 1/8 of an inch resulting in an unpainted strip showing up on one side but not the other. Also, usually the top and bottoms are not affected this way since panels rarely slip upwards.

· Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,896 Posts
Sorry, I'm an older guy, not very good with technology
My suggestion would be to learn how to attach pictures. It doesn't take long to learn how to do it, and without a visual reference, the very best suggestion you'll receive here is an educated guess which may or may not be helpful. Tons of great minds on this board, but no mind readers. Without pics, we are left with the latter.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a thought - are you sure the panels are shrinking and not just shifting in their frames a bit? I have seen the panels on some cabinets doors move sideways as much as 1/8 of an inch resulting in an unpainted strip showing up on one side but not the other. Also, usually the top and bottoms are not affected this way since panels rarely slip upwards.
Yes, Sorry. the panel are shifting not shrinking, I know panel are made to shift so they don't split, this happens up here a lot, with the humidity in summer & dry heat in the winter

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My suggestion would be to learn how to attach pictures. It doesn't take long to learn how to do it, and without a visual reference, the very best suggestion you'll receive here is an educated guess which may or may not be helpful. Tons of great minds on this board, but no mind readers. Without pics, we are left with the latter.
Maybe my worker can help post pictures, later today, Hes younger & more tech savvy

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Personally, I would give the client an artist brush and tell them how to use it, or you'll be running back there every 2 weeks for touchups..
Well the owner lost the paint ! I had to buy another gal, which I'll have to charge her for. my concern is the 7 doors won't color match the rest of the kitchen. its only sprayable paint except for small touch ups.I will tell her to touch them up herself after this time.
Thanks everyone for the advice & tips. Much appreciated !

1 - 20 of 32 Posts