Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you having flaking issues with the 3M plastic?? With precat and the w/b poly it flakes so bad, that I am back to paper.
If the 3M logo is on the front and not blowing air to the film you are good to go.i use AAA with not more than 10 pound air.
but you are right it flakes and does not live up to 3m standards.needs improvements.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
If the 3M logo is on the front and not blowing air to the film you are good to go.i use AAA with not more than 10 pound air.
but you are right it flakes and does not live up to 3m standards.needs improvements.
have you used any hvlp? Don't think I'll ever use AAA ever again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have you used any hvlp? Don't think I'll ever use AAA ever again.
What ever you feel comfortable spraying and suits the job.Air Assisted Airless is industry standard in cabinetry finishing.It is kinda hvlp but faster and way more efficient as you may know.if i have few pieces i do not load the pump just use my iwata hvlp's.Also i rarely thin my paints.if i have thicker paint like acrylic or water base primers i mostly use graco airless or diaphragm pump.
i mean i like to use different rigs for different purposes to make the work easy and fast.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
What ever you feel comfortable spraying and suits the job.Air Assisted Airless is industry standard in cabinetry finishing.It is kinda hvlp but faster and way more efficient as you may know.if i have few pieces i do not load the pump just use my iwata hvlp's.Also i rarely thin my paints.if i have thicker paint like acrylic or water base primers i mostly use graco airless or diaphragm pump.
i mean i like to use different rigs for different purposes to make the work easy and fast.
Turbine HVLP with a pressure pot has really excellent transfer efficiency, AAA isn't even close really. I did a bunch of metal work with it a week ago went from spraying a wide fan almost like an airless then dialed down to less than 1" to spray spindles. pretty amazing really. basically no overspray there were places I was inches away from the surface and no dust on my mask after. Electrostatic is cool too, looking to get a rig for my self in the near future.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turbine HVLP with a pressure pot has really excellent transfer efficiency, AAA isn't even close really. I did a bunch of metal work with it a week ago went from spraying a wide fan almost like an airless then dialed down to less than 1" to spray spindles. pretty amazing really. basically no overspray there were places I was inches away from the surface and no dust on my mask after. Electrostatic is cool too, looking to get a rig for my self in the near future.
what brand turbine you have?i really hear good things about new generation Apollos.i have a fuji 5 stage i was using long before i switch to wagner and CA tech pumps.I love the ease of use turbine and also good TE they have.Now unfortunately it is decorating the cabinet:) if you are a casual finisher turbine is a good choice.Good luck.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
what brand turbine you have?i really hear good things about new generation Apollos.i have a fuji 5 stage i was using long before i switch to wagner and CA tech pumps.I love the ease of use turbine and also good TE they have.Now unfortunately it is decorating the cabinet:) if you are a casual finisher turbine is a good choice.Good luck.
I carry and use Apollo equipment, we have a precision 5 here for shop and onsite use. Fuji is junk I took one apart one time for a customer. Looked like someone went down to the hardware store and grabbed some off the shelf PVC and open cell foam, open yours up if you fancy being underwhelmed. Apollos have automotive filters so you don't find dust in your finish, among other features.
The apollo gun is really great too, only gun I've really been able to completely dial in. I sold my capspray 115 and 2 graco edge guns for $150. Good riddance!

Here is louis spraying unthinned renner with a 1.8mm and C-HS cap

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm also not a big fan of spraying against plastic. Flops around too much and flakes when your taking it off..
That is right.it definitely flakes when you are taking it off but when you are taking it off:) if you use turbine or hvlp or blow air to the film or if you mask very close to the edge of the frame you are in trouble.
Look to the photo i sent.the film is almost 3 inches inside and like i said i use Air assisted airless.atomizing air is less than 10 pounds.between 8-10 psi :). That air moves nothing even a single piece of dust.
Do not forget about the 2 decades experience in this business.That probably helps for something
oh by the way please look to the last photo.that was the last run and there is almost 5 mils of dry paint on that film.do you see any flake?

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,925 Posts
That is right.it definitely flakes when you are taking it off but when you are taking it off:) if you use turbine or hvlp or blow air to the film or if you mask very close to the edge of the frame you are in trouble.
Look to the photo i sent.the film is almost 3 inches inside and like i said i use Air assisted airless.atomizing air is less than 10 pounds.between 8-10 psi :). That air moves nothing even a single piece of dust.
Do not forget about the 2 decades experience in this business.That probably helps for something
oh by the way please look to the last photo.that was the last run and there is almost 5 mils of dry paint on that film.do you see any flake?
That's great that it works for you. If it ain't broke don't fix it right. Kudo's. Your work looks fantastic.. but just remember, there are as many members on this forum as there are opinions. No one is doubting you. ;) Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's great that it works for you. If it ain't broke don't fix it right. Kudo's. Your work looks fantastic.. but just remember, there are as many members on this forum as there are opinions. No one is doubting you. ;) Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Sir !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts