Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Girl Boss
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done a bid for kitchen cabinet finish w/ LED strips installed in all the cabinet boxes & drawers?

They’re add-on’s so none are counter sunk channels. The strips are inside channels with removable covers but there’s connections & smaller bits visible within the cabinet boxes.

How in the world do I a bid a prep for something like this... or should just ask them if they care about potential overspray and paint coating the parts that aren’t covered?

Taping the light strips is already gunna be a nightmare, can’t imagine how long it’d take to tape every lil piece that‘s showing inside a 15’ x 20’ kitchen....

·
Registered
579 Posts
Is it ambienance/seagull lighting low volt setup or something else?

Any pics?

Sounds unprofessional having it exposed in every cabinet box. Not uncommon to have to have a transformer tucked into one cabinet or have it tucked ontop behind the crown or upper valance.

I'd probably suggest they pay their electrician to come in and temporarily remove the kit and reinstall once complete assuming spray finish on the doors. Did they use disconnect type connectors for connecting the wires to the strips (plug apart disconnects or something like a wago)?

Without photos it's hard to imagine what you're referencing. A ton of light options out there and new stuff coming into the market daily makes it difficult.

·
Registered
644 Posts
It wont hurt anything to spray the "bits." I doubt it'll melt down or catch fire. We install LED strips everywhere on kitchen jobs. I get extruded channel with lenses and solder and heat shrink the connections. Paint will not hurt those connections.

I always put the transformers in the sink base and use 18-2 thermostat wire out to the lights. Sink bases are full of all manner of stuff anyway, so it's the ideal spot to put them.

·
Girl Boss
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it ambienance/seagull lighting low volt setup or something else?

Any pics?

Sounds unprofessional having it exposed in every cabinet box. Not uncommon to have to have a transformer tucked into one cabinet or have it tucked ontop behind the crown or upper valance.

I'd probably suggest they pay their electrician to come in and temporarily remove the kit and reinstall once complete assuming spray finish on the doors. Did they use disconnect type connectors for connecting the wires to the strips (plug apart disconnects or something like a wago)?

Without photos it's hard to imagine what you're referencing. A ton of light options out there and new stuff coming into the market daily makes it difficult.

Ya its a low voltage LED system thats wired to a transformer they had placed in the garage next to the kitchen.

Most the wiring is either above, below, or behind filler strip panels but the connections to the LED strips are visible as are the switches used to turn them on/off for each cabinet door & drawer front like the photo below.

·
Girl Boss
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wont hurt anything to spray the "bits." I doubt it'll melt down or catch fire. We install LED strips everywhere on kitchen jobs. I get extruded channel with lenses and solder and heat shrink the connections. Paint will not hurt those connections.

I always put the transformers in the sink base and use 18-2 thermostat wire out to the lights. Sink bases are full of all manner of stuff anyway, so it's the ideal spot to put them.

K- thanks for the confirmation! So there shouldn’t be any worry about paint on the wire management channeling causing issues if they ever need to get in there and have it repaired?

I made sure they’re aware the wire channels & connectors will be sprayed. Also emailed n asked if the LED channels can removed before prep.

Don’t know why I didnt think to ask in the beginning but as I thought about taping off each one it dawned on me they have to be connected to the cabinet somehow...duh haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts