Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. Was wondering if anyone on here has used Cabots Deck Correct before? Customer of mine has a 900 sq ft pressure treated deck and wanted to do a solid coating on it to keep from having issues with splinters and whatnot. Looking for info on application. Seems to be like a typical exterior paint but wondering if anyone's had issues with it. Don't like using products I'm not familiar with. Thanks

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Yeah, almost everyone I talked to about that style of product had bad luck, myself included. Those extra thick deck coatings are just too prone to peel, stick with a regular solid stain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
don't do it. just don't. If you insist on it, i have my craps table warmed up for you, because you are rolling the dice with this product.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
If their goal is to get a few more years out of a beat up deck before they absolutely HAVE to replace it, go for it. Use whatever you want. It's a bandaid on a bleeding artery solution and will be the last coating that deck. If their goals are different that that RUN or clean, sand the surfaces in question and use a solid body stain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. HO was the one who chose the product so I was just doing some research before applying. His deck is 14 years old and needs to be replaced he was just looking to get more life out of it. What's the durability on the solid body stains?

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. HO was the one who chose the product so I was just doing some research before applying. His deck is 14 years old and needs to be replaced he was just looking to get more life out of it. What's the durability on the solid body stains?
As a group, these types of "deck repair" coatings tend to get a whole 8-9 months before the wood underneath starts to rot away. So if I sold lumber i'd be all for it. Think about it.

·
Anonymous Tard
601 Posts
A good solid stain may last 3-5 years depending on weather, sun, and the condition of the wood. You could flip some of the worst boards and maybe get a little longer life out of it. Remember that if you sand it too much then that can affect how well the new stain penetrates into the wood and it can shorten your time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey there. Was wondering if anyone on here has used Cabots Deck Correct before? Customer of mine has a 900 sq ft pressure treated deck and wanted to do a solid coating on it to keep from having issues with splinters and whatnot. Looking for info on application. Seems to be like a typical exterior paint but wondering if anyone's had issues with it. Don't like using products I'm not familiar with. Thanks
The only deck resurfacer which works is from Gemini. It's called deck revive. You also have to put on a clear primer called permabond first. I bought a house and the lady used the Ppg resurfacer and it failed within months. I power washed and sanded it down in May 2016, and it's still the same as the day I put it on. It's expensive, but it's the real deal.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
So it's been holding up well for 1 year. Don't you think it's a bit early to be saying this is the real deal? I went to the Gemini site and saw the video's and read the application instructions. To buy 1 Deck Revive kit, 1gal. of Permabond sealer, and 1gal. of reasonably priced exterior acrylic gloss comes to about $370 and will do a 200 sq ft deck, according to them.
Now that's for a relatively small deck without adding in labor. It would take a great leap of fate for most of us to consider using this product. https://www.gulfsynthetics.com/deck-revive-kit.html

·
Registered
335 Posts
So it's been holding up well for 1 year. Don't you think it's a bit early to be saying this is the real deal? I went to the Gemini site and saw the video's and read the application instructions. To buy 1 Deck Revive kit, 1gal. of Permabond sealer, and 1gal. of reasonably priced exterior acrylic gloss comes to about $370 and will do a 200 sq ft deck, according to them.
Now that's for a relatively small deck without adding in labor. It would take a great leap of fate for most of us to consider using this product. https://www.gulfsynthetics.com/deck-revive-kit.html
It's definitely expensive. This lady screwed me by putting a junk product on. It was the easiest cheapest way in my case. Our Gemini rep told me he has been back to a dock in Illinois year after year and it's still on. The key is the permabond. Like he said if you don't use it, it's going to fail. I still have some left over. I'm going to try some on a sample this summer and put regular paint on it to see if it withstands the up and down temps we get over a year. On the point of it only being a year, I am pretty confident it's going to last the long haul. All of the other resurfacers I have seen have failure rate within 3-6 months. They don't allow the wood to breathe and the stuff ends up coming up and in sheets. This product allows the wood to breathe. The others are pretty much an elastomeric. In the last year in my area, we have had temps from 0- 100, multiple rains over one I inch and multiple snow days. The climate drastically changes depending on the season. I can scratch at this stuff all day long and there is no give. It stuck like glue and as hard as a rock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used Cabot Deck Correct on a 20-yr-old pressure treated deck that looked terrible. Gave the deck a good washing with bleach\detergent, followed by light sanding. Deck Correct filled the smaller cracks (up to about 1/8") and looked great. After 4 years it still looked great. The only peeling was over hard knots, where it couldn't penetrate. I highly recommend it for giving a beat-up deck at least 5 more good years (maybe more).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used Cabot Deck Correct on a 20-yr-old pressure treated deck that looked terrible. Gave the deck a good washing with bleach\detergent, followed by light sanding. Deck Correct filled the smaller cracks (up to about 1/8") and looked great. After 4 years it still looked great. The only peeling was over hard knots, where it couldn't penetrate. I highly recommend it for giving a beat-up deck at least 5 more good years (maybe more).

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts

View attachment 112139
What are we looking in this photo?
Is the “4 year old deck correct” on the left, and “newly applied deck correct” on the right?

I am skeptical and would like to see a clear ‘before and after’.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What are we looking in this photo?
Is the “4 year old deck correct” on the left, and “newly applied deck correct” on the right?

I am skeptical and would like to see a clear ‘before and after’.
That pic is 4 years old. It's just before and after staining to show what I started with.

Here's a pic from Nov 2020. The dark spots are just mildew, which washed off easily. I sold the house this spring, so I can't show a "now" photo.

I don't blame you for being skeptical, but I just spent $500 to buy 15 gallons for the house I just bought. I'm a believer. But surface prep is everything. Don't bother paying for it if you just plan to slap it down on old wood.

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
That pic is 4 years old. It's just before and after staining to show what I started with.

Here's a pic from Nov 2020. The dark spots are just mildew, which washed off easily. I sold the house this spring, so I can't show a "now" photo.

I don't blame you for being skeptical, but I just spent $500 to buy 15 gallons for the house I just bought. I'm a believer. But surface prep is everything. Don't bother paying for it if you just plan to slap it down on old wood.

View attachment 112146
I'm skeptical because it is a film-forming finish over an exterior horizontal surface (and only one of six sides of the lumber is finished).

Are you the homeowner?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ep
I'm skeptical because it is a film-forming finish over an exterior horizontal surface (and only one of six sides of the lumber is finished).

Are you the homeowner?
Yep, it was my place. Again, your logic makes sense - I can't argue. I'm only saying that all the other posters never tried it, but they say it's terrible.

I did try it, and it worked great. Maybe I got lucky, but that's my experience. Take it for what it's worth.

Are you the homeowner?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts