Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Never used it But will be soon per a customers request is This product any good ? I have to remove old stain and apply the timber oil is there any thing I need to know about This stuff ? I plan on spraying and back brushing is This a good idea someone told me it should be just brushed on ?

Registered
tntpainting said:
Never used it But will be soon per a customers request is This product any good ? I have to remove old stain and apply the timber oil is there any thing I need to know about This stuff ? I plan on spraying and back brushing is This a good idea someone told me it should be just brushed on ?
Hey TNT,
I like your name, A fellow painter and friend of mine teamed up before I got my C33 license that was our name back in the day Our slogan was "We do Dynamite work"
Anyways Timber oil is one the greats to work with great for iron wood and teak or coco bolo type woods with tight grain.
I would just brush it out, spraying is fast but you may over apply the product.
I always put the cans upside down during storage this way all the good stuff is at the top when you open the can, I would also stir occasionally during the application.
Have fun this stuff is awesome!!馃憤

Registered
Totally agree. After VOC reformulation it turns black and stays sticky for weeks if even slightly overapplied.

Registered
I thought it has changed once again and is a modified oil base formula. I loved the old original formula. have not tried new.

Registered
I agree it is complete garbage now, a few years ago it was all I would recommend but now I stay far far away from it. The Mahogany Flame is not a Mahogany color it is more Orange since they changed the formula.

Registered
Armstrong Clark, Baker's Gray Away or TWP. All make VOC compliant products.

Armstrong is located in CA I believe.

These are real oils, not the crap that you buy in a paint store or box store.

Banned
I will look into it, thanks for the info. I have a potential project coming with wood shingles and wood gutters. The ho was told by the gutter manufacture to use this shingle oil, he wants it to be used on the shingles and inside gutter
www.alexisoil.com/product/shingle-oil

So I was looking for alternatives and haven't been successful.

Registered
The reformulation is garbage, I did my neighbors lower decks with the new stuff two summers ago. They only live here for 2-3 months a year so they had left before we started and when they came back it looked worse than the upper deck that had been done with the same stuff 3-4 years previous when the house was built. Needless to say it made me look like an idiot and I will never use a cabot product again.

Registered
I've used the Storm System stuff and really like it. Its like a more available Bakers, or Armstrong Clark, in a good way!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts