Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used the product on new and re-coating decks for years.
No more. Customer with a beach house is not happy. 10 days and decks are still tacky.
Applied as usual and as directed.
Lower VOCs is my guess. That and humid environment.
Stuff is junk.
Anyone have similar issues? Please comment.
Thanks.

·
"Life is Thane'"
195 Posts
i dont think its junk personally, it think its really nice. just used it on a bunch of deck rails/ballasts, and it looks awesome, ,seems like a nice long lasting finish. I did a deck one time with it, and it stayed tacky for like 2 weeks, i was really worried, but it eventually dried down and is good to this day

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wood was dry, I did it 3 years ago before this time as well with no problems, no visible previous coating left on it, lightly sanded & cleaned with Problem Solver deck cleaner and scrubbed with stiff bristle brush....waited till dry ( few dry days) then applied correctly with lambswool pad and worked (rubbed) in.....
These are 4 decks, all mahogany, all get direct sun except 1. The 1 without the direct sun is the one not drying. It also has been very humid.....but still.....10 days??? Product was not over applied.

I think this product is NOT the same as it once was.....

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Wood was dry, I did it 3 years ago before this time as well with no problems, no visible previous coating left on it, lightly sanded & cleaned with Problem Solver deck cleaner and scrubbed with stiff bristle brush....waited till dry ( few dry days) then applied correctly with lambswool pad and worked (rubbed) in.....
These are 4 decks, all mahogany, all get direct sun except 1. The 1 without the direct sun is the one not drying. It also has been very humid.....but still.....10 days??? Product was not over applied.

I think this product is NOT the same as it once was.....
Definitely sounds like a product issue. You need some serious saponification if it hasnt kicked off in 10 days. Give a scrubdown with tsp and dont use Timber Oil again!

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
On the hardwoods I am a big Penofin fan. There are some other products out there for hardwoods, it's just what I like.

As per Penofin's instructions, you do need to go back and wipe up any excess.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
It will eventually dry.

If you need me to stop by and do anything for you give me a call.
Yah, I got a 2000 pound custom carved by chainsaw poolside bench with a failing epoxy coating that needs to be stripped and refinished by the 4th. Something you could take care of?

Attachments

·
17,849 Posts
Long story short, the gal who carved that thing took some bad advice from a landscape architect who told her to put West System on it. Really bad call. It failed almost instantly. And made for a very, very difficult strip for me.
I bet. Epoxy seems like a terrible choice for something in the sun by the pool and on a beautiful piece like that.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
I bet. Epoxy seems like a terrible choice for something in the sun by the pool and on a beautiful piece like that.
For sure. The gal who carved it was devastated when it failed. She wanted to make a new one, but its a very pricy piece and took her all winter to make. You cant even really see all of the intricate carving of animals and stuff in it in the picture. The homeowner felt bad for her because she felt so bad about the failure. Its a tough piece because the design of it just holds water. And the exposure next to the pool is killer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts