Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Has anyone used Cabot's bleaching oil for cedar, and used an insect repellent additive to repel carpenter bees, etc.?
Also, any issues or concerns about using bleaching oil I should know about?
Thank you very much,
S

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If it is the new formula or the low voc version or the cocktail of mixing the Wood Conditioner with bleaching oil they all turn black. The best one was the old 500 g/liter formula. The bee stuff works ok and will have no effect. Have had lots of issues with bleaching oil. Our solution is to use a transparent stain or Semi Trans in silver gray to mimic the effects of bleaching oil. The new version doesn't dry well is blotchy and is crack for mildew.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've got a project where Cabot Bleaching Oil has been requested by the HO.
This will be the first time I've used this product.
I have access to the 550 /liter Cabot.
Am considering adding a mildewcide such as M-1 to retard mildew growth.
Would any of you folks over on the coast that have experience with this product like have any suggestions?

·
Registered
552 Posts
You would be better off selling them on a yearly mildew treatment/soft wash than attaching your good name on that snake oil.

Backbrushing is a must to prevent runs.

·
Registered
938 Posts
You would be better off selling them on a yearly mildew treatment/soft wash than attaching your good name on that snake oil.

Backbrushing is a must to prevent runs.
She doesn't like the 'natural' look of the shakes and we're hoping to minimize some of the water stains that showed through the solid oil stain that was previously applied.

·
Registered
552 Posts
She doesn't like the 'natural' look of the shakes and we're hoping to minimize some of the water stains that showed through the solid oil stain that was previously applied.
It may take multiple coats to achieve the desired look. Keep it stirred as your applying as the solids tend to settle.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
If it is the new formula or the low voc version or the cocktail of mixing the Wood Conditioner with bleaching oil they all turn black. The best one was the old 500 g/liter formula. The bee stuff works ok and will have no effect. Have had lots of issues with bleaching oil. Our solution is to use a transparent stain or Semi Trans in silver gray to mimic the effects of bleaching oil. The new version doesn't dry well is blotchy and is crack for mildew.
You hit the nail right on the head as they say or the brush right on the bucket:blink:

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
There's talk of mixing in some weathering stain to give it a bit more gray.
We don't use Cabots bleaching oil anymore or there weathering stain both not even close to being what they once were. We use allot of BM semi trans and semi solid. We also use SW Woodscapes latex or waterborne whatever they prefer to call it but it's a very good product. The pictures below this house had weathered so we cleaned up and used SW Woodscapes in 2006 I belive it's since weathered in and looks great the HO loved it.

The SW is a film because it's a water based I know you know that but it does work good. My choice personally is semi trans oil and even better and longer lasting is semi trans - solid mix:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
We don't use Cabots bleaching oil anymore or there weathering stain both not even close to being what they once were. We use allot of BM semi trans and semi solid. We also use SW Woodscapes latex or waterborne whatever they prefer to call it but it's a very good product. The pictures below this house had weathered so we cleaned up and used SW Woodscapes in 2006 I belive it's since weathered in and looks great the HO loved it.

The SW is a film because it's a water based I know you know that but it does work good. My choice personally is semi trans oil and even better and longer lasting is semi trans - solid mix:thumbsup:
I have access to the older product.

btw Thanks for the input guys/gals, it's much appreciated!

I've never been a fan of the WoodScapes water based semi.:(
It's been blotchy for me on 2 occasions.

The reason for wanting to use the bleaching oil is to minimize staining.

I'm hoping to be able to sell a maintenance contract for soft wash regardless of finish applied.

We may end up going with a bleaching oil/weathering stain mix to provide some color, seal the stains, and allow natural coloring. We did 3 sample boards 10' sq. last fall and exposed them to the elements over the winter.
Very little graying occured, even on the straight bleaching oil.:blink:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks, Vermont ?

What do you mean by bleeding & stains ? the cedar sometime bleeds but the bleaching oil helps gray it up.

Thanks for offering to bring some up, I don't believe im doing another one this yr.

sorry took so long to reply, extremley busy

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thanks, Vermont ?

What do you mean by bleeding & stains ? the cedar sometime bleeds but the bleaching oil helps gray it up.

Thanks for offering to bring some up, I don't believe im doing another one this yr.

sorry took so long to reply, extremley busy
Glad to hear you're busy.:thumbup:

It's being shipped up from S.C. and should be here tomorrow.

I don't think the stains are tannin or rust.
I've tried several 'restore' and neutralizing products with no luck.
I've done a porch area with the gallon I had and it seems to cover the stains. My main concern is having the stains return in the near future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cabot Bleaching Oil Formulas

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm homebuilder in Atlanta who hasn't done a cedar shake home in a while and now have one with the shakes installed. In the past we used Cabot bleaching oil, but I googled it and got to this thread and got concerned. I see some reference to the old 500 voc formula and also a 550 voc formula. Are those the same (and some people are just rounding)? If not, is the older (and presumably better) formula still out there in the market? Thanks very much!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts