Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I here a lot about having to have a "call to action" when doing post cards or flyers.

Im looking for some call to action slogans, what do you guys use?

The last one I used, and I dont like was.

Dont delay, call today, price's may be going up.

·
Flog a Mocker
1,493 Posts
I have been mentioning "spring prices" in my letters. I try not to tell them I am jacking up prices in spring but just remind them that supply/demand and common sense means that it will probably cost them more if they wait. Everyone seems to want to wait to see what is going to happen with th economy. I am trying to get prospects to get on the schedule before spring because "prices will be less flexible" when the "busy season" gets here.

·
Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
I here a lot about having to have a "call to action" when doing post cards or flyers.

Im looking for some call to action slogans, what do you guys use?

The last one I used, and I dont like was.

Dont delay, call today, price's may be going up.
Not to be a smart guy, but it would depend on what action you want them to take. I assume you want them to call for an estimate.

We usually have some kind of offer with an expiration date. We have a couple of services that have very high profit margins, so a small discount doesn't hurt us. I'm not a big fan of discounts, but retailers do it and it seems to work for them.

We try to change our ads with the seasons. We typically do a Winter Coat Sale where we try to book interior work for the winter. We might offer a discount, or a paint upgrade, again with an expiration date.

Brian Phillips

·
tsevnami
2,189 Posts
Brian, out of curiosity, what are your high profit services? I hate (and by hate I mean I find it annoying) when you can always get something 10% off. Duh, its not 10% off, they just mark it up to mark it down. And there isn't technically anything wrong with doing that, it just seems really cheesy and dishonest. Its like walking into Kohls and noticing that every single rack has a sale sign on it. EVERYTHING CAN NOT BE ON SALE ALL THE TIME. But offering something like a free upgrade to aura because I want to use it anyways probably isnt a bad idea. Brian I like your winter coat wording.

Typically a call to action is "call today for a free estimate!"
Anyone have any other more creative calls to actions?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
I just sent out my first postcards/flyers.
Free Accent wall painted with every job booked by November 1st.
I thought about free upgrade "Single Tone to Two Tone or Two Tone to Three Tone" but i was not happy with wording, not sure how many people know what it means?!

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
How's about

"we speak your language, we're American, we're legal, and will be here during harvest season"

·
Registered
260 Posts
A "call now for free estimates" just doesn't do it for me anymore. No offense to any of you that may use it, but it seems to me that it is common practice for free estimates. I mean honestly, I do not know of one company here in Winnipeg that charges for estimates. Really, if you go and do the estimate, and they accept the bid, you have earned the work. Going to measure, talk and be nice to someone shouldn't have to cost someone anything.

PS - that Winter Coat Sale slogan is brilliant Brian.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have to agree, saying that you provide free estimates is like saying, "Mr. Customer, we do the same thing every other painter does!" It's nothing to get excited about. I think it should be stated on all ads just to confirm, but your center point on advertising needs to be exciting and draw attention. You need to get people to stop and say, "WE NEED TO CALL."

"Won't last long" doesn't seem to work as well as an actual expiration date. It's tough to come up with something really special though. It depends what you can swing. I often run 30% off ads. It seems like a huge discount but in reality, I am giving something closer to 10% because my labor rates increase during sale times (funny how that works). The first thing you learn in many sales seminars is that EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS ON SALE. It's not an actual savings as much as a perception of a good deal that clients want. I could go into a bedroom and quote it at $700 - 30% New Client Discount! = $490. These numbers are just examples by the way. Now, my quote may be equal to the other painters quote but a client sees that I would have been charging way more if it had not been for the discount. They start thinking maybe we are that much more superior to the competition with high prices like that but they can afford us because of our huge sale! It's like walking into a department store. If a Ralph Lauren polo is on sale and is now the same price as a JcPenny polo, you'd probably buy the Ralph Lauren polo.

As a business man, you need to sell quality, workmanship, and customer service first and foremost. But don't get into the mentality that you refuse to sell on price. Mailers are getting your foot in the door. Many people discard mailers unless there is a great reason to call. A 30% discount on painting is a pretty great reason to call if you were thinking of having work done. Once you get to the estimate, you can start selling yourself and your company and your quality - until then, price may be your only lure to make that initial contact.

Just my opinion

·
Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
Brian, out of curiosity, what are your high profit services? I hate (and by hate I mean I find it annoying) when you can always get something 10% off. Duh, its not 10% off, they just mark it up to mark it down. And there isn't technically anything wrong with doing that, it just seems really cheesy and dishonest. Its like walking into Kohls and noticing that every single rack has a sale sign on it. EVERYTHING CAN NOT BE ON SALE ALL THE TIME. But offering something like a free upgrade to aura because I want to use it anyways probably isnt a bad idea. Brian I like your winter coat wording.

Typically a call to action is "call today for a free estimate!"
Anyone have any other more creative calls to actions?
Radiant barriers and pressure washing are high profit. I agree with your thoughts on the 10% off, but I actually do give 10% off. We still make good money.

Brian Phillips

·
Registered
463 Posts
Low price guarantee is something I have tossed around for a while. I am hesitant because I fear that competitors will low ball clients to throw us for a loop. Could happen, could not, but you could lose your shirt pretty easily. Plus, lets say theres a newbie in town that estimates a large exterior for $5000. You figured on $10000. He may have totally screwed up his estimate and doesn't calculate the proper time needed to complete the job. Now your stuck taking 50% off to match the price of the other guy. If this happened 1 out of 100 times, it's still 1 time too many.

·
Painting Contractor
2,565 Posts
How do you guys feel about low price guarantee?? the way we have talked about before.
As long as the apples to apples comparison is not ridiculous.
You know, beat any price by a PDCA and NAPP Contractor with 1.73 mil liabillity,
that has white Econoline vans, yellow ladders, wears pink underwear. uses Duron paints etc. You know which low price guarantee I mean Dave.
Homeowners are not stupid.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts