Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired an old but great condition HVLP Campbell -Hausfeld HV2000 turbine paint sprayer. I have no prior experience with this sprayer and have a few questions. First of all when I turn on the pump air is leaking from the spray tip through the middle needle and the two holes on each side of the spray tip. Is this normal? I have tried adjusting the material flow knob, the air flow control knob, and the packing nut with no luck. I'm not sure if the air leaking is normal or a problem, I have filled up the paint canister with water just to test it out and it seems to spray fine. Even though air is constantly leaking out of the tip no water from the paint canister comes out until I pull the trigger. I have ordered a new needle kit, packing seals, and canister seals just to be on the safe side because the air leak just doesn't seem normal to me, maybe I'm wrong but the parts were cheap enough. If anyone has any troubleshooting info, prior experience, advice or suggestions i would greatly appreciate it. I could also use some help or directions on installing the new packing nut seals when they arrive. Thanks again, Dan

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,108 Posts
I just acquired an old but great condition HVLP Campbell -Hausfeld HV2000 turbine paint sprayer. I have no prior experience with this sprayer and have a few questions. First of all when I turn on the pump air is leaking from the spray tip through the middle needle and the two holes on each side of the spray tip. Is this normal? I have tried adjusting the material flow knob, the air flow control knob, and the packing nut with no luck. I'm not sure if the air leaking is normal or a problem, I have filled up the paint canister with water just to test it out and it seems to spray fine. Even though air is constantly leaking out of the tip no water from the paint canister comes out until I pull the trigger. I have ordered a new needle kit, packing seals, and canister seals just to be on the safe side because the air leak just doesn't seem normal to me, maybe I'm wrong but the parts were cheap enough. If anyone has any troubleshooting info, prior experience, advice or suggestions i would greatly appreciate it. I could also use some help or directions on installing the new packing nut seals when they arrive. Thanks again, Dan
I'd say any air leakage is Not a good thing..

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Your gun is fine....it's an old school bleeder gun. They are designed to have continuous airflow through the gun while turbine is running. They are the the original style guns, and fell out of favor once non-bleeder (airflow to cap only when trigger is pulled) guns came along.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
If you are going to run modern non-bleeder guns on those old turbines, you need to install an external air relief on the turbine. Otherwise you will most certainly overheat the motor and quickly burn it out.

In modern turbine setups,(designed to be used with non-bleeder guns) the air that discharged at the cap of a bleeder gun is discharged at the air relief on the turbine at the hose hookup. That's what you need to install on an older turbine to use a NB gun.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I just acquired an old but great condition HVLP Campbell -Hausfeld HV2000 turbine paint sprayer. I have no prior experience with this sprayer and have a few questions. First of all when I turn on the pump air is leaking from the spray tip through the middle needle and the two holes on each side of the spray tip. Is this normal?
The air is not actually coming through the needle, just out the needle opening on the air cap. Chances are if the unit is in great shape the new projector set was unnecessary, since these usually last a while. At least now you have a spare (I hope you didn't discard the old). As far as installing the packings, pretty straight forward. Just don't over tighten them... tight enough to keep everything in place and not leaking.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
And speaking of HVLP hoses, reminds me of something that happened to me years ago. I was spraying some doors and had a noticeable decrease in performance in my gun. I stopped and quicky reamed out the supply tube and cleaned the check valve. Still not working right. Torn the entire gun down, thorough cleaning, and still not right. It's then I noticed air coming from a direction it shouldn't be. First time I ever had a hole in my hose. A little duct tape for a temporary fix (that lasted about a year) and I was good to go!

So yeah, always check the hose when performance drops!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dan, I actually just picked up a CH HV2000 “HVLP Finishing System” Brand New, still in the unopened box, two weeks ago, for $25 from someone off the LetGo App. Because of the machine being so old ((1995) I believe) there really isn’t much information or anything at all really to be found about it on the internet. I’m pretty familiar with Turbine HVLP sprayers and so far I have to say I’m very surprised and happy with this unit. It’s a 2 stage which is almost impossible to find for under $2-300 nowadays in any brand but it really does perform equivalent to the Fuji Q3 I had if not better, even though the layout is similar to the Chicago Electric HVLP turbine system from harbor freight (which is actually a great unit for any hobbyist or semi-pro type of painter honestly and is only $100) If anyone wants to experiment or try out a Turbine System I highly recommend it. Even though it’s only a single stage it lays down finer than some of the best systems I’ve used out there surprisingly.

Anyway, as I’m sure you’ve already figured out, the air coming out of the air cap is completely normal and because the system is a “bleeder type” as in the air bleeding out. The newer “non bleeder” type systems that have become commonplace release air constantly usually at the hose and motor connection area. Either way is to realease pressure,heat, and overall wear on the engine of the system.

The big plus of having found this unit in brand new condition and still in the box is that I get to see everything the HV2000 came with, it’s additional parts, information, and probably most importantly I have a copy of actual manual with all the info and specs someone could possibly need who received one used or second hand, such as yourself. A 2 stage turbine system with rubber hose, metal gun, metal paint cup with spill proof cap, material And AIR AMOUNT/PRESSURE CONTROL is a great system to have and features that will run you a couple of hundred dollars minimum in a modern system like Fuji Spray or Apollo. My next step is to upgrade the gun to something better by converting the hose adapter to a 1/4 to fit every other bleeder and non bleeder gun for a beautiful finish with automotive painting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.