Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing an interior house that includes trims, doors, and windows.
I would like to know if I can spray Cover Stain Zinsser through my airless sprayer. Also, I want to make sure if I can thin it with thinner. I know the product says do not thin. But I know is most commonly

Airless: X7 Graco
Tip: LLFP 310 (the green one)

Hope some help with that
Thank you

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I would like to know if I can spray Cover Stain Zinsser through my airless sprayer. Also, I want to make sure if I can thin it with thinner. I know the product says do not thin. But I know is most commonly

Hope some help with that
Thank you
I do not recommend spraying solvent products through an X7. The packings are not rated for solvent materials and the pump opens up into the motor windings and internal electronics. MAJOR fire hazard.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
A lot of products warn not to thin, but the reason is that it creates more VOC's, and not necessarily that it will compromise the coating. That said, I dont think theres any reason to thin oil primers to run through an airless.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You can, but it’s hard enough with a ..17 tip. Need a pretty good pump too. Would never use a fflp310 tip either. I doubt it would even dribble out of that it’s so thickgood luck let us know! Hope you got your gas mask on tight too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
You can, but it’s hard enough with a ..17 tip. Need a pretty good pump too. Would never use a fflp310 tip either. I doubt it would even dribble out of that it’s so thickgood luck let us know! Hope you got your gas mask on tight too!!

What are you talking about??

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,239 Posts

Hope some help with that
Thank you
Do you paint for a living or just DIY?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A lot of products warn not to thin, but the reason is that it creates more VOC's, and not necessarily that it will compromise the coating. That said, I dont think theres any reason to thin oil primers to run through an airless.
I'm just concern about if the x7 will be able to spray oil-based through their pump
I know there are several electric parts in the airless and I don't want to blow up the house.
I also have Titan 440 which is better than Graco X7

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I wouldn't spray CS.

Bullseye 123 would be better for spraying, is soap and water cleanup, and is not a toxic fire hazard.
123 has a leveling agent (glycol) that will also look nicer than CS.

It is better in almost every way for spraying interior (except in regards to tannins and bleed through).

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Spraying CoverStain in a house is like asking for brain cancer or something like that! It is really bad, and should never be sprayed. It is so nasty!
It will leaves a dull, slightly textured surface usually, that is a good primer base, but is not super-smooth.

(I use it almost exclusively for exterior work, or for problem surfaces when I want a good bond and not sure what's on the surface)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't spray CS.

Bullseye 123 would be better for spraying, is soap and water cleanup, and is not a toxic fire hazard.
123 has a leveling agent (glycol) that will also look nicer than CS.

It is better in almost every way for spraying interior (except in regards to tannins and bleed through).
Thanks for your update.
I'll use this product and I think it will work great.

·
Super Moderator
3,239 Posts
So what are you spraying that requires an oil primer? It may be fine to run through your machine, but spraying out a whole house will be nasty and a bit of a fire/health hazard.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What are you talking about??
Lol wut? You couldn’t tell what I was talking about?
I’m talking about my opinion on spraying cover stain oil based primer. It didn’t like to be sprayed out of my 390 with a 517 tip. That’s all. It appeared the OP wanted to spray with a 310lpff tip right? At least that’s what I read. Plus oil based stinks terribly so I wanted the OP to let us know how his experience went spraying it, if he did, and not to forget a mask.
Understand woodco? Anyone else not understand? Carry on people, nothin’ to see here...

·
Super Moderator
3,239 Posts
Lol wut? You couldn’t tell what I was talking about?
I’m talking about my opinion on spraying cover stain oil based primer. It didn’t like to be sprayed out of my 390 with a 517 tip. That’s all. It appeared the OP wanted to spray with a 310lpff tip right? At least that’s what I read. Plus oil based stinks terribly so I wanted the OP to let us know how his experience went spraying it, if he did, and not to forget a mask.
Understand woodco? Anyone else not understand? Carry on people, nothin’ to see here...

I believe what Woodco is saying, is that it should be no problem spraying oil with a 310 tip. I just sprayed a fridge with Rust Scat oil using my 390 and 308fflp. Sprayed beautifully.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ok well then whoosh! Over my head! Lol! Never thought of that as I’ve never sprayed non thinned cover stain with a fine finish tip.
Looky that, learn sumthin new everyday! Thanks woodco and fbk!

·
Registered
410 Posts
you gotta thin coverstain to spray it else it lines out like hell

if you let it dry overnight is sands like a dream

·
Registered
676 Posts
I spray Coverstain all the time. It never hurts to thin slightly, but I've never had any issues either way. I don't know what an X7 is, but it'll spray through a 440. That's what I use for cabinets...a 440 with a 25' hose.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So what are you spraying that requires an oil primer? It may be fine to run through your machine, but spraying out a whole house will be nasty and a bit of a fire/health hazard.
I sprayed the interior of a double-wide trailer with Coverstain once, due to the fact that it was caked with nicotine tar—even after scrubbing, it was so brown. We stayed a little late to finish up—probably left around 8:00 pm or so. I came back to do finish coat the next morning, opened the door, and was literally bowled over by the toxic waft of fumes that assaulted me. When we were done, though, that place smelled so much better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts