Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am redoing a deck that is about 15 years old. Changing out some decking boards. Who ever stained it last use semi transparent Cabot oil base stain and it looks terrible after 3 years not much stain on it. I looked on the net and it said I could change to a water base stain because I am not mixing the two together, but just putting new stain on top of old. I don't work with oil very much, I prefer water based stain. My question is, can I do this with good results. Please be sure of your answer!! Thank you Paul

Super Moderator
It really shouldn't matter because if you say there's not much old stain left it should be removed anyways as part of the prep process. Paul, do you paint for a living?

Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
I am redoing a deck that is about 15 years old. Changing out some decking boards. Who ever stained it last use semi transparent Cabot oil base stain and it looks terrible after 3 years not much stain on it. I looked on the net and it said I could change to a water base stain because I am not mixing the two together, but just putting new stain on top of old. I don't work with oil very much, I prefer water based stain. My question is, can I do this with good results. Please be sure of your answer!! Thank you Paul
鈥淧lease be sure of your answer!!鈥? Seriously? You post a thread in a forum that is for profession painters, NOT DIYers such as yourself, and then you ask members to be sure of their answers?

My responses to threads like yours are usually not so terse. And sometimes, when someone who is not a professional painter posts a question here asking for some advice, we may leave it open for a few helpful responses before closing the thread. But in this case since you are concerned that the answers you might get here will be wrong, I will do you a favor and close your thread right now. That way you won鈥檛 have to worry about possibly getting any bad information.

Sheesh鈥

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.