Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently got a job to abrasive blast a shipping container and then apply a dtm paint afterwards. I’ve become fairly comfortable with blasting, but painting on the other hand I have limited knowledge. My plan as of now is to blast the container with either 40/70 or 100 crushed glass and water mixed with a rust preventative. After that is where I need help. Can I use my 185 cfm compressor from my unit to power a painting set up of some sort? Would it be practical as opposed to painting another way? I’m by no means a painter yet, but I’d like to be able to offer the service for jobs like these. Any advice would help me, thanks for reading!

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
Hello, I recently got a job to abrasive blast a shipping container and then apply a dtm paint afterwards. I’ve become fairly comfortable with blasting, but painting on the other hand I have limited knowledge. My plan as of now is to blast the container with either 40/70 or 100 crushed glass and water mixed with a rust preventative. After that is where I need help. Can I use my 185 cfm compressor from my unit to power a painting set up of some sort? Would it be practical as opposed to painting another way? I’m by no means a painter yet, but I’d like to be able to offer the service for jobs like these. Any advice would help me, thanks for reading!
buy an inexpensive airless sprayer from a box store like HD or Lowes.
clean it out every day after use, and you now have a sprayer.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Yes. Back in my industrial painting days ( 35+ years ago), we used Graco Bulldog pumps to spray industrial coatings. They are air powered and a 185 CFM compressor will easily run one. Maybe Google Graco Bulldog to get a line on that type of sprayer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I think it'd be better to just use an airless. Those industrial air powered setups probably arent cheap, but I dont know... You could run DTM out of a small Graco 395 .

The magnums you get at home depot shoudln't be used for oil based, for flammability reasons.

You might be able to rig up a pressure pot system.... But painting containers, especially if only once in a while, an airless would be a lot easier to deal with. My buddy works with containers, and his guys use airless, and DTM...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts