Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
I have never used linseed oil does that help with leveling better than penetrol?
I like it better. My OPINION is that it would flow off the brush better and take longer to dry, thus leveling better. The down side is that linseed increases the gloss (which is good sometimes) and encourages mold and mildew growth - those little organisms LOVE linseed oil.

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
How much did he use?

I've used boiled linseed to help leveling and never had a discoloration. Sure with enough of any amber "extender" one could notice a change, but would have to be a diaper full, one would think.

(Penetrol, IMO, has too many driers in it)
It took a while and was a particular problem in areas that didn't receive much natural light. I think that's due to the linseed oil content.

Not sure how much he used and, given his current situation, I'm not likely to find out.

Reactions: daArch

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
It took a while and was a particular problem in areas that didn't receive much natural light. I think that's due to the linseed oil content.

Not sure how much he used and, given his current situation, I'm not likely to find out.
One problem we had with Penetrol was that when it started to dry, the paint got "heavy" and "sticky", so we'd put in more Penetrol, which would dry quicker, which would require more Penetrol . . . . . . it was like opiates :whistling2:

I can understand how when one starts using, they need more and more just to maintain.

I do love Penetrol to "prep" raw muntin wood before glazing. That "sticky" point is a great time to lay on the snake.

Reactions: Gough

·
Registered
170 Posts
linseed oil is also is known to yellow even stronger than alkyds.

The issue of thinning has to to be different with oils. They have far more binder percent-wise (waterbornes are resin/water emulsions).

At least with linseed, thinning even 50/50 for example will not cause problems in cohesion/adhesion.
You just have half the pigment binding strength at that concentration; if you thin an opaque coat down to half itll chalk.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Couldn't you just put spring water in ice trays?

Mods, I'd like to ask that this thread title be changed to "Can you thin your liquor too little" please.
Of course you can. But it is harder then you think to keep that ice from picking up flavors from the freezer. Even the plastic in the freezer itself can flavor ice.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
I agree one can thin to much but I always thought the addatives like penetro did not hurt the paint like a solvent as a thinner. I would be willing to bet even if I did 50/50 penetrol and oil paint it would bound good and not fail. It would not cover but it would not fail. Penetrol can be used as primer by itself I know on bare metal.
Penetrol has a resin, unlike a solvent alone. That's why you can use much more of it as an additive and not harm the paint. BTW, it's great to put on gardening tools to keep them from rusting.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Of course you can. But it is harder then you think to keep that ice from picking up flavors from the freezer. Even the plastic in the freezer itself can flavor ice.
I just put a mix of Clorox and fluoride in my lead ice trays. Why fight city hall ?

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
So it's agreed- the best way to drink you scotch is to have Scottish mountain spring water delivered in an oak barrel (to stay consistent with the scotch) to Canada, where it's frozen naturally, outdoors, in a remote and pollution-free area, and then have put back in the sealed oak barrel, then have it delivered to your house where you immediately mix the scotch and drink it.

Actually, I think I'll stick with gin. It's easier.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
So it's agreed- the best way to drink you scotch is to have Scottish mountain spring water delivered in an oak barrel (to stay consistent with the scotch) to Canada, where it's frozen naturally, outdoors, in a remote and pollution-free area, and then have put back in the sealed oak barrel, then have it delivered to your house where you immediately mix the scotch and drink it.

Actually, I think I'll stick with gin. It's easier.
Of course if you are cheap you can just drink Canadian Club. (no offence Canada)

Reactions: DrakeB

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
No. No. Don't encourage him.

Natura semi. That's what all the kewl kids are doing nowadays.

:thumbup:
Yah, you're right.

Jacob, have a healthy life, use the waterbornes !

OH, and also ALWAYS wear knee pads ! ! ! :yes: :yes: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I wish I could find a waterborne paint that brushed good. Solo was good for a while but not anymore. I have not tried advanced yet maybe I need to. The proclassic hybrid is okay but doesnt dry very hard.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts