Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any of you guys have had any success at keeping mildew from returning after a house wash? I washed a house a couple of months ago and got it clean but now the black is back with a vengeance - worse than it's ever been and faster. We've had enormous amounts of rain this summer so I know that has something to do with it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,097 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bleach the Bii-atch

One thing you want to be sure of is that you are fully rinsing your bleach from the surface of the house. I've been told that the bleach can turn into a new food source for the mold if it isn't fully rinsed.
Wow, I've never heard of this, but if you say it's true then it's worth checking into. The person I've worked for for years has left the bleach on the house in cases of bad mildew. But I can't recall ever scientifically verifying it.

Appreciate it guys.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Bleach is a salt and an oxidizer. It can leave a residue that will prevent new coatings from sticking properly or it will ruin existing finish so it is always a good idea to rinse very well.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Wow, I've never heard of this, but if you say it's true then it's worth checking into. The person I've worked for for years has left the bleach on the house in cases of bad mildew. But I can't recall ever scientifically verifying it.

Appreciate it guys.[/quote

I don't believe this at all. I sprayed a wood fence, (my own) and didn't rense the bleach off at all. It (did not) grow any extra mold or anything.

·
workin
298 Posts
Bleach should never be used full strength to tread mold. I'm not sure how it was applied or what dilution rate was used or even how the siding was cleaned but if you don't eliminate the mold it will come back. Maybe take wings advice and get trained and certified. There has been such a scare in recent years with mold and lead both, but to be honest they have both been around for a hundred years....this isn't something new. Yes, we all need to be better educated on both and keep everyone from any harm they could cause.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Washing a house and interior mold remediation are two totally different beasts. A 1.5% solution of sodium hypochlorite (bleach) in conjunction with the right surfactants and detergent builders removes 100% of mold from vinyl siding. Spray on, rinse off. Other substrates, especially porous ones such as brick or stucco, usually require a little stronger mix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We use a formula from MODEC Recon MDF 500. 2 part solution with a cleanser and an antimicrobial. Does a great job and we have not had mold or mildew come back in the area that has been treated. Kinda pricey but goes a long way. Only drawback since it is EPA licensed is some States require you to have a Pesticide Applicators License.

·
Right!
873 Posts
Tell em to cut the damn trees and bushes away from the house or move to the desert or for a fee I will come back every so often and take care of it. LOL

·
guymandude
74 Posts
Tell em to cut the damn trees and bushes away from the house or move to the desert or for a fee I will come back every so often and take care of it. LOL
i agree. the only way to eliminate it is to address the cause. it will be a moisture /airflow issue. tell them to go to home depot and buy the biggest fan they sell and turn it on and point it at the house and they will have problems no more. or if theyre that cheap sell them ur pump up sprayer and a bottle of bleach for 100.00 and tell em to do it themselves.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mdf-500

I am new to the roof cleaning business and have been looking into the MDF-500 but as you said a little pricey. How do you apply the chemical to the roof? With the fogger? Is this the only cleaner used during the process?
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Justin

We use a formula from MODEC Recon MDF 500. 2 part solution with a cleanser and an antimicrobial. Does a great job and we have not had mold or mildew come back in the area that has been treated. Kinda pricey but goes a long way. Only drawback since it is EPA licensed is some States require you to have a Pesticide Applicators License.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts

·
rdupainting.com
416 Posts
It will come back eventually.

·
rdupainting.com
416 Posts
I am new to the roof cleaning business and have been looking into the MDF-500 but as you said a little pricey. How do you apply the chemical to the roof? With the fogger? Is this the only cleaner used during the process?
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Justin
Dont get sucked into miracle products, roof's are cleaned with bleach if they are to be cleaned correctly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.