Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums here and relatively new to the painting profession. Mainly I've worked interior jobs on historic homes but have recently taken on some exterior.

The current HO I'm working with has a cedar siding house built in 1892. The HO began their own paint job last summer, scraped, sanded, oil-primed and top coated with latex. However they also caulked everything including the underside of every clapboard :eek: This spring the paint failure began and is spreading rapidly. The house also has a history of moisture problems (ice damming, attic frost).

Where the paint has failed I can feel the clapboards are quite moist. I was able to inspect behind one board and it appears some rot is setting in. The HO is concerned they will have to completely replace the siding.

Any suggestion on how to save his siding? Maybe a way to ventilate?

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have saved some houses that have been caulked. Get a caulk remover tool from Sherwin. After that get a small pry bar and pop the clap out a bit. Don't bang them back in until your ready to paint. Next step get a moisture meter. Using the meter can help you determine where moisture problems are located and when its ready to paint. As for the moisture. Check basement (crack a window or 2) and check all drip edges and flashing areas. Adding 3" vents above sill plate and below windows will get some air circulating. Next step is to do some test samples before doing any finish painting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Boco for the tips. I'll have to have a talk with the HO since removing all that caulk will definitely take time, but given the alternative they'll probably go for it.

Those wedgevents look like they might do the trick in terms of ventilation.

·
Painting Contractor
4,074 Posts
I've used the Wedgevents on many older homes that had so many layers of paint the bottom edges were all sealed up. They help a lot when installed correctly. Old homes can still bubble but this relieved a lot of moisture vapor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know people have had success with them. Are they only available through the website? I've never come across them in any of the stores here.

Also does all of the caulk have to be removed or could it be done at intervals along the underside of the clapboard?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Good to know people have had success with them. Are they only available through the website? I've never come across them in any of the stores here.

Also does all of the caulk have to be removed or could it be done at intervals along the underside of the clapboard?
I have always removed all the way along. We use a multitool with a dovetailed blade.
The wedgevents are new to me. Gonna look into them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.