Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Yikes. Important reminder!
I usually take oil rags outside as soon as it’s spent so it has time to dry out in the air before I put them into the car. Years ago when I worked at Valley, the rags were smoking just as I pulled up from the long trip back from DC. Got them out into the parking lot just in time.

·
Registered
Exterior Wood Restoration and Protection
23 Posts
Diluting oily rags in a bucket of water should effectively eliminate possibility of spontaneous combustion, making sure that all of parts the rags are fully submerged.

After they've soaked in water overnight, they should be spread out open to dry. When they are dry and crispy I believe they are safe to throw away.

Agree, it is another very good reason to make the switch to water-based. Stain and varnish, and deck stain, is the only thing I still use that is oil based.
Curious why you need to go to the trouble of drying the rags to throw them away ?

We have environment drop off depots which take the rags in the water. Maybe we’re fortunate to have that available to us!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Curious why you need to go to the trouble of drying the rags to throw them away ?

We have environment drop off depots which take the rags in the water. Maybe we’re fortunate to have that available to us!
Ive never seen those.

Personally, I like to lay them out to dry on a nonflammable surface during work hours, then dunk them in a bucket of water at the end of the day, and when the buckets full, toss the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

The environmental drop off sites in my county are run by private independent contractors, and none to my knowledge permit contractors to drop off hazardous waste. Instead, they bang contractors for pickup & hauling plus the cost of DOT drums. Although local EPA and DOT regulations permit contractors to transport up to 220# of hazardous waste without an H endorsement, even the commercial hazardous waste facilities won’t accept drop off waste by contractors. I think I paid $500 to dispose of a 55 gal drum of rags soaking in water plus the cost of a DOT drum.

·
Registered
Exterior Wood Restoration and Protection
23 Posts
The environmental drop off sites in my county are run by private independent contractors, and none to my knowledge permit contractors to drop off hazardous waste. Instead, they bang contractors for pickup & hauling plus the cost of DOT drums. Although local EPA and DOT regulations permit contractors to transport up to 220# of hazardous waste without an H endorsement, even the commercial hazardous waste facilities won’t accept drop off waste by contractors. I think I paid $500 to dispose of a 55 gal drum of rags soaking in water plus the cost of a DOT drum.
That sounds very stressful.

Here, we drive to the govt hazardous waste Depot, sign a piece of paper and give them a tone of pales full of rags, oil paint, all mixed, whatever… in and out within 3 minutes.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts