Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caulked some crown yesterday morning with ProStretch (old Tower Tech II). Not a huge bead either. Today, 24 hours after caulking, the ceiling paint (BM 508) crackled over the caulk. Never had this happen before. The caulk was completely dry so I’m a bit stumped on what to do. Obviously I can’t paint the crown with this going on. Pretty sure slapping another coat of ceiling paint on tomorrow won’t help either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
...physical movement from temps...?...painting caulk before cured...?...never used Big Strech so I'm useless there...

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ProStretch

Thinking tomorrow I will fill with a super thin coat of quick dry and cut a tight line on the ceiling.

·
Semi-Retired
4 Posts
I don't know the product, but maybe a bad tube. Year ago when I used BM, the BM rep cut me a check to repaint because of defective paint. I don't know, but maybe there's a similar warranty with the caulk, if you can prove it was defective.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I see this all the time when I use tower tech 2. I think the stuff shrinks too much and I don't like the way it handles much either. I need a new caulk I think.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I see this all the time when I use tower tech 2. I think the stuff shrinks too much and I don't like the way it handles much either. I need a new caulk I think.

Do you see it only with flat paint or do you also see it with satin/semi gloss (trim) paint?

I use it exclusively for exteriors and never had this problem. I also use it on new millwork (interior) and have not had this happen before either.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put a light coat of Quick 2 Coat (what I usually use for interior repaints) over a small section of crackle and painted with more 508. After a couple hours it looked good so I was hopeful. Now I can start to see some cracking reappearing.

Man I dunno what to do. I’m sure not going to cut out all caulk!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I've had trouble with flat paint cracking over caulk in the past. If I don't seal the caulk line with semigloss in my normal work flow, I spot prime with something first before painting with flat.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Thats pretty normal, if you ask me. Just paint over it. It only happens with cheap or ceiling flat. That paint is brittle. Any movement or shrinkage makes it crack.

·
Administrator
21,733 Posts
Thats pretty normal, if you ask me. Just paint over it. It only happens with cheap or ceiling flat. That paint is brittle. Any movement or shrinkage makes it crack.

That makes sense to me.

I use TT2 exclusively and have never had an issue - even with ceiling flats.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve never had the issue with the tower tech quick dry. Maybe I’ve never used TT2 on a crown repaint and painted ceiling first. I usually paint the crown first because it’s easier to cut the ceiling line but had to do it backwards this time.

Gonna rub the quick dry caulk into the cracks, prime and then hit with the ceiling paint again.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
IDK, everytime I have ever put flat paint over caulk, it makes little tiny microscopic cracks. No matter what caulk, how long I wait, or what paint I use. All I have ever done is paint over them, and they go away. It most commonly happens at the lid lines, when I caulk them. I just cut the wall line to the crack, and noone ever sees. Recaulking and priming is a waste of time and materials. I assuming you're gonna put something with a sheen over the crown. that will take care of it. If not, just another coat of your flat paint should do the trick.

I seriously have always considered that just a normal part of painting. Even with cabinetry and primer, its the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,466 Posts
Part of it, is that although Pro Stretch is nice and stretchy so it won't be prone to cracking. The ceiling flat paint however is not as flexible as the caulk. I have this problem too with the high quality caulking.
If its real obvious then a bead of quick dry caulk is the safest bet. Then jut a quick chop in with a skinny brush..

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah it was obvious alright. I smushed another coat of caulk into the cracks (“just painting it” would NOT have filled the cracks) and will paint the crown the cut the ceiling back in. That should do it.

In another room I used the same lot of caulk but this time painted the crown first. No cracks whatsoever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Caulked some crown yesterday morning with ProStretch (old Tower Tech II). Not a huge bead either. Today, 24 hours after caulking, the ceiling paint (BM 508) crackled over the caulk. Never had this happen before. The caulk was completely dry so I’m a bit stumped on what to do. Obviously I can’t paint the crown with this going on. Pretty sure slapping another coat of ceiling paint on tomorrow won’t help either.

Hi, Have you figure out the problem with the ceiling paint cracking? Same thing is happening to me now. Using BM ceiling paint and it's cracking in corners. I already tried to repaint it over 2 different caulks and it still cracking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts