Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a unique use case in which the house has all vaulted ceilings, and the ceilings come down to about 4ft off the finished floor in the corners of the house (which is raised on a cripple wall outside). Because 2 of the rooms are likely to get hands (or bumped heads) on the ceiling in those corners, I was wondering if there is a flat ceiling paint that cleans well and resists scuffs so that when inevitable hands and heads bump it or get dirt or scuffs on it, the entire ceiling doesn't have to get painted.

Also, because these ceilings are vaulted and have a smooth finish, every single variation and imperfection is likely going to show through, so I'd rather not step up the sheen. Maybe a matte would be doable?

I'm thinking of maybe just going with a good wall paint, even if it's more costly than using ceiling paint.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,757 Posts
Most of the designers I work with always spec the same colour and sheen on vaulted ceilings as the walls, mostly being Aura Matte.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Be sure to use an extra wide roller. Matte is hard to look even on ceilings. Pure Performance flat from PPG would be a good option. Its a washable flat, so it has less sheen than mattes, so it will be easier to get an even sheen, cuz it does have just a hint of sheen to it, but less than regal, or aura would. Probably the cheapest washable flat/matte you can get.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of the designers I work with always spec the same colour and sheen on vaulted ceilings as the walls, mostly being Aura Matte.
That would be easier on installation, although increase the cost quite a bit doing all the ceilings in the house with Aura. Do you know if Aura has much of a better cleanability to it over Regal Select? I'm under the impression it's not as good on ceilings as Regal Select. I think the sheens in matte are comparable?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be sure to use an extra wide roller. Matte is hard to look even on ceilings. Pure Performance flat from PPG would be a good option. Its a washable flat, so it has less sheen than mattes, so it will be easier to get an even sheen, cuz it does have just a hint of sheen to it, but less than regal, or aura would. Probably the cheapest washable flat/matte you can get.
I've never used Pure Performance flat. I like the idea of a cleanable flat, but I do not understand the physics. It's my understanding that there is no cleanability/protection without some sheen on the surface. Could it be that they are calling their matte a flat for marketing purposes, or is it that much flatter than a matte?
(say that 3 times quickly)

I'm leaning towards Regal Select or Aura matte. I'd much prefer Waterborne 508 ultra flat for the hiding, but I can't imagine it protects in any way at all.

·
Super Moderator
2,757 Posts
That would be easier on installation, although increase the cost quite a bit doing all the ceilings in the house with Aura. Do you know if Aura has much of a better cleanability to it over Regal Select? I'm under the impression it's not as good on ceilings as Regal Select. I think the sheens in matte are comparable?
The Aura Matte is definitely better than the Regal Matt. Could add some extender for workability. Alternatively, you could go with a cheap flat ceiling paint, then roll a quick coat of stays clear flat..

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'd likely do regal flat too. If Aura had a true flat I'd say that instead, but the flatter the better to hide imperfections.

That said, I don't have experience with the PPG Pure Perf, so can't compare.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just a thought. Advance also comes in a Matte. Haven't used it though..
My experience w/ Advance has been like with Scuff-X - the sheen level seems to be higher than billed. So if I want something like semi, I step it down the satin. I'd be worried that an Advance matte would turn out like eggshell. But I've never used the matte, so I'd be happy to hear back from those who know.

·
Super Moderator
2,757 Posts
My experience w/ Advance has been like with Scuff-X - the sheen level seems to be higher than billed. So if I want something like semi, I step it down the satin. I'd be worried that an Advance matte would turn out like eggshell. But I've never used the matte, so I'd be happy to hear back from those who know.
The Aura Matte definitely isn't as shiny as the ScuffX. Also, as far as Im concerned, it is what it is. You can't ask for a durable/washable ceiling paint and then complain about a little sheen. I think a little sheen looks fine on a vaulted ceiling anyhow. Other option is to tell them to keep thier damn hands off the ceilings I guess 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
613 Posts
The Aura Matte definitely isn't as shiny as the ScuffX. Also, as far as Im concerned, it is what it is. You can't ask for a durable/washable ceiling paint and then complain about a little sheen. I think a little sheen looks fine on a vaulted ceiling anyhow. Other option is to tell them to keep thier damn hands off the ceilings I guess
Kevyn, I’m with you. Keep your damn hands off of it. Anything other than a flat on the ceiling looks like garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This issue here with the flat is that I'm looking to ensure it will be cleanable and resist scuff marks in those low areas. I'm not under the impression that any flat fits that criteria, including Regal. Are some of you saying Regal flat does well in that regard?

·
Super Moderator
2,757 Posts
This issue here with the flat is that I'm looking to ensure it will be cleanable and resist scuff marks in those low areas. I'm not under the impression that any flat fits that criteria, including Regal. Are some of you saying Regal flat does well in that regard?
Again, I don't trust any flat or even Matte as being "washable". Except maybe Aura or adding a flat waterbase Clear coat. Is it you or the client that is more concerned? If it's that big of a deal, just do it all in ScuffX. Or a high quality eggshell..add a bunch of extender and turn the heat down so it will flow out..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Again, I don't trust any flat or even Matte as being "washable". Except maybe Aura or adding a flat waterbase Clear coat. Is it you or the client that is more concerned? If it's that big of a deal, just do it all in ScuffX. Or a high quality eggshell..add a bunch of extender and turn the heat down so it will flow out..
I'm merely looking for better performance than flat ceiling paint that at least has some insurance for cleaning. Eggshell is definitely out of the question. Light washes down the ceiling because it's an 8/12 pitch vaulted ceiling that goes from 13.5' down less than 4' at the edges of the room. Subtle imperfections are already going to be noticable and in your face, and no doubt blamed on the painter and not the drywaller/skim coater. I'm just thinking ahead for issues that could come up because people who are not painters should not be expected to think up concerns they do not know about. I doubt the average person even knows that ceiling paint is different than wall paint, let alone how sheen provides protection.

I'll be trying the Aura matte and hope it works out because it isn't exactly cheap ceiling paint.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I'm merely looking for better performance than flat ceiling paint that at least has some insurance for cleaning. Eggshell is definitely out of the question. Light washes down the ceiling because it's an 8/12 pitch vaulted ceiling that goes from 13.5' down less than 4' at the edges of the room. Subtle imperfections are already going to be noticable and in your face, and no doubt blamed on the painter and not the drywaller/skim coater. I'm just thinking ahead for issues that could come up because people who are not painters should not be expected to think up concerns they do not know about. I doubt the average person even knows that ceiling paint is different than wall paint, let alone how sheen provides protection.

I'll be trying the Aura matte and hope it works out because it isn't exactly cheap ceiling paint.
Grayscale, it appears to me that you brought this topic up 2 months ago in this thread:

My reply to your query is contained in posts #26 and 35. I wonder if splattered red paint semi-gloss would clean off of Aura that had just been applied 1 hour earlier as described in post #26. Certainly not for $31.97 a gallon.

There may be a lot of Behr paint haters here at PT, but that certainly doesn't stop me from using Behr. Behr came out with a matte finish called Scuff Defense and now their whole Premium Plus Ultra line (matte, eggshell, satin, semi-gloss) is formulated to Scuff Defense. We used Scuff Defense on a couple of jobs recently and it worked very well. I could not detect any odor as either.

futtyos

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Grayscale, it appears to me that you brought this topic up 2 months ago in this thread:

My reply to your query is contained in posts #26 and 35. I wonder if splattered red paint semi-gloss would clean off of Aura that had just been applied 1 hour earlier as described in post #26. Certainly not for $31.97 a gallon.

There may be a lot of Behr paint haters here at PT, but that certainly doesn't stop me from using Behr. Behr came out with a matte finish called Scuff Defense and now their whole Premium Plus Ultra line (matte, eggshell, satin, semi-gloss) is formulated to Scuff Defense. We used Scuff Defense on a couple of jobs recently and it worked very well. I could not detect any odor as either.

futtyos
You do have a great point. I know that it's often laughed off when homeowners point it out, but Consumer Reports does do several objective lab tests comparing paints, and regularly Behr takes top honors. As far as I know, CR is the only nonprofit company that tests these products by scientists, and accepts no free items. They buy everything they test retail. We can downplay it all we want, but until we can present non anecdotal evidence to the contrary, I'm open to it being great stuff.

All that to say, I'll be using Aura ;-) I'll test out that Behr product soon though.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts